Re: Will there be a 4G Basic phone with QWERTY keyboard?
hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

So i could buy something like, say, a Blackberry that's Verizon-compatible and use it without a data plan as a basic phone?  That might give me what I want.  Thanks very much for that info.

Here's my understanding of the situation.

1. Back in the day, Verizon would _only_ allow "white listed" phones on its network. That means that each and every model of phone needs to be approved by them. Anything else, even if it is technically compatible, will not work if not specifically approved.

2. When smart phones started coming along, Verizon would label its white listed phones as "smart phones" and activating any device (model) that has been earmarked as such would trigger the requirement for a data plan in order to complete activation

3. When Verizon bought some of the spectrum that was freed up from the analog TV shutdown, one of the FCC stipulations was that the spectrum would not be "locked" to proprietary technology or devices.

4. The new spectrum was only used for 4G LTE , so the 2G/3G spectrum remains locked to proprietary devices. The early 4G LTE devices actually had a 3G data fallback and used 2G for voice.

5. The "new" phones (made in the last 4 years orso) have a technology called VoLTE or Voice over LTE (which Verizon calls HD voice) . Phones with this technology can operate on 4G LTE only. 

6. When you activate a Verizon branded "smart" phone , it still triggers a data plan requirement. However if you bring in a "4G LTE-only BYOD device" that is NOT marketed by Verizon (under the FCC stipulations as per #3) , then it does NOT trigger a data plan requirement

7. The new flip phones Verizon is selling today actually also run Android, but it's a very limited version that does not have the app store etc. You *can* get a data plan with them and play youtube videos, use wifi hotspot, etc, but you can also use them without a data plan just like a "real" Android phone. So this highlights the kind of arbitrary-ness about the data plan requirement. 

Now, Verizon sells Blackberry devices , so you'd have to come up with a Blackberry device that's VoLTE-only , Verizon compatible, but not sold from Verizon. Not sure if that exists.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@cmd612 wrote:

. . .

I spoke to Verizon customer service. They told me that only phones that *Verizon* has labeled as smart phones will trigger the requirement to add a data plan. So if you bring in a phone that's not in their system it will not trigger the data plan requirement. Even if it's an Android phone. 

. . .

So i could buy something like, say, a Blackberry that's Verizon-compatible and use it without a data plan as a basic phone?  That might give me what I want.  Thanks very much for that info.

Sorry but if a phone is not in their system Verizon won't activate it. A blackberry will be considered a smartphone

0 Likes
cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@hearmenow123 wrote:

. . .

Here's my understanding of the situation.

1. Back in the day, Verizon would _only_ allow "white listed" phones on its network. That means that each and every model of phone needs to be approved by them. Anything else, even if it is technically compatible, will not work if not specifically approved.

2. When smart phones started coming along, Verizon would label its white listed phones as "smart phones" and activating any device (model) that has been earmarked as such would trigger the requirement for a data plan in order to complete activation

3. When Verizon bought some of the spectrum that was freed up from the analog TV shutdown, one of the FCC stipulations was that the spectrum would not be "locked" to proprietary technology or devices.

4. The new spectrum was only used for 4G LTE , so the 2G/3G spectrum remains locked to proprietary devices. The early 4G LTE devices actually had a 3G data fallback and used 2G for voice.

5. The "new" phones (made in the last 4 years orso) have a technology called VoLTE or Voice over LTE (which Verizon calls HD voice) . Phones with this technology can operate on 4G LTE only. 

6. When you activate a Verizon branded "smart" phone , it still triggers a data plan requirement. However if you bring in a "4G LTE-only BYOD device" that is NOT marketed by Verizon (under the FCC stipulations as per #3) , then it does NOT trigger a data plan requirement

7. The new flip phones Verizon is selling today actually also run Android, but it's a very limited version that does not have the app store etc. You *can* get a data plan with them and play youtube videos, use wifi hotspot, etc, but you can also use them without a data plan just like a "real" Android phone. So this highlights the kind of arbitrary-ness about the data plan requirement. 

Now, Verizon sells Blackberry devices , so you'd have to come up with a Blackberry device that's VoLTE-only , Verizon compatible, but not sold from Verizon. Not sure if that exists.

Thank you very much for the detailed response! 

I didn't realize Verizon still sold Blackberry devices.  I'm not seeing any in the Verizon store? 

I was told the Blackberry Key2 LE was "whitelisted," but based on what you've said, since it's not VoLTE-only, I guess I canNOT use that without a data plan.

I guess I'll keep using my 10-year-old Samsung flip phone as long as the network will support it. . . . Then - back to smoke signals?  🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cmd612,

I regret that you didn't enjoy the smartphones that you had. It is important that you have a phone that you like. I do want to clear a few things up so that everyone is on the same page. Currently, there is not a basic phone that has a slide out QUERTY keyboard that we sell. Towards the end of this year (2019), we will be retiring our CDMA network. This means that the basic phone that you currently have will still be able to be used on our network without any issues. However, after our CDMA (3G) network is no longer, you will not be able to activate another 3G basic phone on our network. Please see this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/ for more details. All of our basic phones that will be compatible with our network after CDMA is phased out will be 4G. All Android, Blackberry & iPhones that you purchase via a 3rd party require a data plan & must be HD voice compatible. You can check to see if the model you purchase from a 3rd party is compatible by viewing this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ All 4G basic phones do not require a data plan, but keep in mind, as you have already seen, they do not have the features that you are looking for. Does this information help?

AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support wrote: . .
Towards the end of this year (2019), we will be retiring our CDMA network. This means that the basic phone that you currently have will still be able to be used on our network without any issues.
. . .

AliciaD_VZW

My CDMA flip phone WILL still be usable after 2019, even after the network is "retired?"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for any confusion regarding our last post, cmd612. That is a good question, and I know I would be asking the same thing if I owned a CDMA phone. I can certainly clarify this for you. Once the CDMA network is retired you will not be able to continue using your CDMA device. Please refer back to the first link we sent regarding the CDMA Network Activation Retirement and see paragraph 2. Does this help answer your question? Have you considered upgrading your device by any chance? Check out our Basic Phone options here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/

AnthonyC_VZW

0 Likes
cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Once the CDMA network is retired you will not be able to continue using your CDMA device.

Thanks, Anthony.  That's what I've thought for a while, which is why I was confused when a Verizon rep said the exact opposite (2 posts up from yours). 

As far as an upgrade, well, that's why I jumped into this discussion.  A basic phone with a QWERTY keyboard would be an upgrade (assuming great call quality, durability, and battery life, all of which my current phone has).  I don't consider any of the currently available basic phones an "upgrade" - at least until my faithful CDMA device stops working.   Then I'll have to see what's available, either from Verizon or elsewhere.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CMD12, the last thing we would ever wish is to lose you as a part of the family. Please know that Verizon Wireless does not create the phones, we provide the service to the phones. New devices are released by the manufacturers on a regular basis in hopes of providing great options to all customers. You may watch for new releases at https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/.  LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@cmd612 wrote:

Towards the end of this year (2019), we will be retiring our CDMA network. This means that the basic phone that you currently have will still be able to be used on our network without any issues.
. . .

AliciaD_VZW

My CDMA flip phone WILL still be usable after 2019, even after the network is "retired?"

No of course not. if the network is retired how do you expect it to work?

0 Likes
cmd612
Enthusiast - Level 2

@boringusername wrote:

@cmd612 wrote:

. . .

AliciaD_VZW

No of course not. if the network is retired how do you expect it to work?

I do not expect it to. 

That's why I questioned the statement from a Verizon rep saying that it would work.  If you read my entire post, including the quoted statement from Verizon, maybe you'll understand a little better. 

0 Likes