VX5600 address import?
geoB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does any mechanism exist to import addresses (e.g., street, city) into the LG VX5600?  The Outlook Sync from LG does not.

Thanks.

George

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VX5600 address import?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

My guess would be no - are the fields available in the address / contacts area for those?  If not, then that's your answer.

If there are fields for those options, then they are likely named or formatted differently and you 'd have to do some programming or data manipulation (using bitpim) to get it to work.

0 Likes
geoB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

The fields exist in the device.  LG's Outlook sync utility's help claims that the limitation is in the device.  Is it common practice to include fields that are then locked to external manipulation?

I've not looked at bitpim before; I've done a fair bit of programming in other languages so it might be worth some effort.  Any suggestions on ways to get started with bitpim?

Thanks again.

George

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google BitPim - it's a pretty powerful program that allows you into the "guts" of your phone's internal memory and OS, so if you aren't careful you could turn your phone into a nice little paperweight.  But if you are careful you can import and export data that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to do.  If the exact model of your phone is not listed, you may need to use a model that's close - we used it to transfer info from an LG 5200 to a 5400 (pics, contacts) and it worked well.

0 Likes
geoB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it was worth a try.  In the Get Data screen, BitPim shows all options as gray.  Nothing is available.  Pretty obvious that "you can't get there from here".  I'd hoped to use the device for an address book while on the road.  Not going to happen.

Thanks, though, for your replies.

g

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the 5600 listed as one of the options?  If not, which did you choose?  Maybe choosing a different model will allow you to connect....  If the fields are in your phone, I suppose you *could* manually input the information that you will need on the road.  Importing is soooo much easier though, when it works.

0 Likes
geoB
Enthusiast - Level 2

The 5600 is not on the list & using 5500 (closest model number) doesn't help.  I can look at the file system and get a directory listing but can't copy a file or do a hex dump.  BitPim's log shows "Access to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone provider".  Kinda dumb, but I suppose that's how they differentiate the low-end prepaid phones - just minimize the available features.  And I'm too cheap to go for more $ for phones.  My usage can't justify it.

g

0 Likes