Texting to Flip Phone
Mr_Bill1

I try to send a text message from my Verizon Galaxy S6 to a friend who has a Verizon flip phone. All he gets are garbled symbols. All other texts to other people work fine. What's the problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting to Flip Phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see where that can certainly get annoying for your friend, Mr-Bill. Many basic flip phones do not offer the ability to send or receive enhanced messages (EMS). An EMS can consist of anything from a special character or smiley face to a signature or consist of more than 160 characters. If an EMS is sent to a non-EMS capable phone, it will generally come up as strange characters because the device can't translate the message properly. Does every single message from your phone to his turn out to be just symbols? Do you happen to know the make and model of his flip phone? If you send him a picture message with text attached is he able to see your text and the picture?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mr_Bill1

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your help. I will try to get more details about my

friend's new flip phone. I think it is also a Samsung, but I will have

to get the model. His previous flip phone was receiving my texts fine

and he even sent me a photo once. But, I don't know the details of the

old phone either.

The EMS theory makes sense. I will try experimenting with short, no

special character messages. I will have to see if he has received any

previous messages from me or other sources on the new phone.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No problem Mr_Bill, if you need further assistance we are always available. We appreciate you reaching out to us.

YeseniaV_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BillBraskey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't assume that every human on earth has (or wants) a smartphone.  Or has a smartphone with emoji libraries installed. Or has an unlimited texting plan.  Or has any data plan whatsoever.  It is super annoying to get messages with emoji, group texts from iPhone users, and anything sent via MMS.  Here's a tip: people who opt out of the smartphone game are probably much less interested in trivial communications and would prefer to get only text messages that have meaningful content rather than unsolicited photos, silly icons, etc.  Please be respectful of the people on the other end who may not wish to be the recipient of oversharing.  I'm not picking on you, and for all I know your friend may be frustrated as well because he/she wants to be able to view your messages.  I just found it amusing that you were confused by something that most basic phone users know about quite well!

DAVSIN59
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Can you recommend an EMS phone that we may be able to add? My wife has a Samsung Alias™ 2 & gets texts from others which are partial or completely blank. These aren't group texts, these are Person to person.

Would the LG Extravert 2 work better in any way?

Thanks for your time.

David

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the importance of making sure you wife can use her text messaging Davsin59. The Lg Extravert 2 can definitely give her the functionality she needs. I also recommend the Samsung Convoy 4 as a great phone for her. Here is a link with more information about the device http://vz.to/2bZ6nzH .

In the meantime, let's trouble-shoot the text messaging issues and get her current phone back up and running. How long has the issue occurred? Any damage to her phone? Is she having this issue with one or two contacts or with everyone she text?

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes