Text message from smart phone is garbled, unable to read on Samsung Intensity II
ROBABR61
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using a Samsung Intensity II phone.  From time to time I am unable to read text messages sent to me from my friends who are using smart phones.  Most of the time, it is because they have included emoticons and once they re-send the message without the emoticon, I can read it just fine.  However...

Last week, the problem became much worse!  Suddenly, I can't read messages from two of my friends (who already know not to use the emoticons).  They both tell me that they aren't doing anything different, but it is now impossible for us to communicate via text.  Any messages I receive from them look like they are written with foreign language characters (like Chinese or Japanese kanji).

Can someone help?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text message from smart phone is garbled, unable to read on Samsung Intensity II
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh, wow! That would certainly make it hard to read, ROBABR61! Let's see what could be causing this. When you go to send them a text, does everything look normal on your side sending? Do your messages come in normal when they receive them?

NicoleB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Text message from smart phone is garbled, unable to read on Samsung Intensity II
MrTom0000
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have another thread in this forum about the same issue with a different "dumb" phone. Maybe this solution would work for you too.

My tests have shown emojis from either Android or iPhone corrupt the message. And a quote or apostrophe from iPhones do the same. This seems to affect only the people who text with proper grammar by using quotes or apostrophes.

Until this gets resolved, try telling all your friends to text like an illiterate without quotes and apostrophes. i.e cant instead of can't. Works for me.

0 Likes
ToddNafziger

I have this same issue with my wife's Samsung Gusto II.  Unfortunately everyone she communicates with is on an iPhone.  Just hoping there is a solution soon.

0 Likes
oldlures1

I'm having the same issue with my Gusto 3.  In fact, it's been getting much worse in the past couple weeks; it doesn't matter who sends the text, what type of phone or carrier, or content, it will scamble about half my incoming text messages.   I have yet to find a solution online, despite the fact there are numerous forums dicussing it...and they date back to 2010 (i.e. this problem's been around a LONG time!)

0 Likes
oldlures1

AN INTERESTING OBSERVATION:  I typed in "scrambled text messages" in the forum Search function field. The long list of hits indicates how many customers are having this problem - IT IS WIDE SPREAD, obviously!  And it appears to be effecting users with both "smart" and "dumb" phones.  And here's the frustrating part: not one of the ongoing discussions has a solution from Verizon!  Not one!

0 Likes
ROBABR61
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Verizon Customer Support.  When I send a text from my Samsung Intensity II, everything looks normal.  And YES, my text messages sent to others are normal, and getting to them without any problems.  My old phone still works great for sending texts.  It's the receiving texts from others that has become such a pain.  

0 Likes
ROBABR61
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your comments and ideas.  I've known for several years that my older phone did not like emoticons, but I'm just learning about quotation marks and apostrophes being an issue.  Will pass that information on to my "smart phone "friends.

0 Likes
AdamsLL

Is there going to be a software update to solve this issue?  Or is this how customers are being pushed into smart phones and data plans?  This is very frustrating for your customers so it needs a resolution.  Customers should not have to create a "work around" to get their text messages.  This happens to me many times and I need to get my messages.  I have been with Verizon for over 20 years but I may need to switch carriers if I can't get my texts.  Please contact your customers - do not leave them hanging with a major issue.  Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AdamsLL, we understand how important it is that your text messages are not messed up. We're on the case. What basic phone are you using? Does this happen with all text messages from smartphones or just from a specific type of smartphone? Have you recently dialed *228 to update your phone?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes