Switching between a smartphone and a feature phone
redsunfish

Hi everyone,

So, I e-mailed Verizon and got nowhere with this. I'm sure there has to be someone else out there who has done this and can help though.  Probably the best way to get my question out is to post the e-mail I sent to Verizon and the reply I received.

My e-mail:

I have a question about my account. I currently have two phones in my possession that I would like to use for my phone number at different times: a new LG Ally and my old feature phone. I would like to use my LG Ally when traveling(mostly weekends and some vacation) but my old feature phone day to day since I only really need it to make calls (less fragile, less bulky, etc.). So far I have had no problem going to the website and switching between the two phones, it takes less than 5 minutes and I don't find it inconvenient. I realize I need to have the data plan ($29.99) active when I'm using my new Smartphone but it really isn't useful on my old feature phone so when I have activated my old phone over the past month I have not been selecting a data plan. I have some concerns because now when I look at my account screen under data usage it's showing my data used when my smartphone was activated and saying the charge could be $1100, assumingly because I currently have my old phone active without the data plan. My question is, when I receive my bill on July 23rd how will it look? Will I have a $29.99 charge and all data will be covered(assuming of course I never use any data on my old phone...which I don't)? Will I have a charge of less than $29.99 (or the charge and a credit) for only the days I had my smartphone active and all the data will be covered? Will I have a bill for $1100? I just want to be sure and make sure I understand how it's going to work as either of the first two options are fine but the third is unacceptable to me. Thanks for any and all information you can give me!

Verizon's response:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Joanne and I understand you are switching ESN numbers between your LG Ally phone and an older Motorola phone you have and are inquiring what your July 23rd bill will look like since the LG Ally needs a $29.99 data plan and the Motorola is a feature phone. I know it is important to understand exactly how you will be billed since you are changing from a Smartphone to a feature phone on a weekly basis.

Ms. XXXXX, unfortunately, I do not know how you will be billed on your July 23rd billing statement. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. It will also depend if you used any Megabytes. Megabytes are accumulated when you view Get It Now or Mobile Web or download Get It Now applications.

You can view the details of your billed data sessions online by doing the following:

1. Sign in to “My Verizon” using your Account Owner user ID and password.
2. Click on the "Account" tab located on the menu bar near the top left of your "My
3. Verizon" home page and select “Bill” from the dropdown menu.
4. Select the date of the statement you would like to view.
5. Choose the applicable wireless number from the drop down menu.
6. Click on "Bill Details" tab in the middle of the page
7. Select "Data Details."
8. Select "KB/MB Usage" from the "Usage Type" section.

Ms. XXXXX, I have advised, I am unable to advise how your July 23rd bill will be charged at this time. I again apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Joanne
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

So anyway, I can't believe they can't tell me what my bill will look like.  I know they can't tell me the dollar amount but I think it's pretty crazy that they can't tell me how their billing is done!

I know someone out there must have done this in the past (even if just because their smartphone broke and they reactivated the old phone) so if anyone could shed some light on the subject that would be great.  Thanks in advance!

-Sarah

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switching between a smartphone and a feature phone
whatsitsname

You should just keep the data plan on.  Verizon's data plan does not have the option of charging you only for the day you use it (whichever phone was active at the time is irrelevant).  Only cancel the data package if your think you will not be using data during the whole billing cycle.

I am guessing that the $1100 will show up on your bill.  If this is a first time you should talk to a rep.  I am pretty sure they can help you out. 

Oh and if the billing cycle hasn't ended yet you can call and have a rep try to add the data plan to the bill in question. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Well I would say you will also see the $1100.

I noticed that if you change a service during a billing cycle it will throw the bill off, I changed my plan when my job gave everyone a company device and I decided to drop my plan and remove a number of features to minimize cost but the service provider the company decided to use had a serious drop call issue that made them rethink the decision after a weeks service so I was forced to change my plan back to my original plan which raised my bill for that month almost a 100.00 dollars. 

Changes usually don't take full effect until next billing cycle and if you exceed the minutes allowed or use any data before that cycle change the charges are usually going off the plans rate that was active at start of billing cycle, so if you change devices and plans regularly I can see how the bill can get a little crazy.

Hopefully something can be resolved for you but I can tell you it may take some work to make that happen.

Wish You Luck

0 Likes
lexus03
Enthusiast - Level 3

Theres nothing to worry about.  I had that same question when I switched back and forth between a blackberry and a simple feature phone.  Whenever your smartphone is activated the data plan is automatically active and you have unlimited data.  You will see a prorated data plan charge for the number of days it is active.  Whenever your basic phone is active as long as you're not using data you won't have an outrageous bill.  You're covered when your smartphone is active. 

0 Likes
youaremyhero

By prorated, do you mean that she will be getting a charge of $15 (for example) if she uses her smartphone for 2 weeks with $29.99 unlimited plan?

0 Likes