Re: Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
gizmoe107

My wife and I both have this phone.  We couldn't get either one to update.  Obviously the problem is in the software update.  Hope they fix it soon.  And hopefully it speeds up the phone.  The response of the touchscreen is too slow in my opinion.  If anyone finds out what is in the update please post it here.

0 Likes
jimseverson

Today 2/1/12 at 4:15p CST update download and installed. I had a full 4 bar 3G connection during download.

Current info from Settings > Phone info > SW / HW version

Software version D8992VWBC44F.236

PRL version  52642

ERI version 5

Verizon Opera Mini  5.2.0182

Media Center version 5.0.4.1

MS Touch UI 4.0

Hardware version  REV_01

MEID  A000000XXXXXXX (not showing this)

Software update client iMDM 5.5

I’m not sure why it worked for me.  This was my first and only attempt to download and update with success.  I was holding off until confirmation on no data charges.

I've only had this phone for 4 days now.  I think the keyboard typing is better (or I'm just getting used to it, I've had and iPod Touch for about 3 years now). I haven’t found any added features, wish they would of add zoom option to picture viewer app.

Message was edited by: Jim Severson  ADDED more info

0 Likes
pagtun

Tried again and it failed, 2/1/12 at 9:30p EST.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well after posting my original post I called and spoke with a Verizon support rep on the phone who said that they are just now becoming aware of the problem Pantech are having with the update. He said then to give a couple of days for Pantech to come up with a solution, and for Verizon to make it available. He went on to say if after waiting a couple of days to try it again and if it still failed to take my phone to a Verizon store because they have the ability to update the firmware directly. All this came to pass, I could not run the update after over the air, so I took it to my local Verizon store spoke with one of their in-store reps, who said that they could not re-flash (or update) my phone, and that I could continue trying or have them replace it with a new one that already has the current software.

Later that evening I saw a post from someone who said that they had finally updated their phone, he said he had to have all 4 bars (signal) under 3G. Well I tried this the only way I got all 4 signal strength bars for 3G was to face east towards mecca (The Verizon Store) then I had full signal strength, but alas this did not work either.

So still can't get it to update, maybe if in another week or so I'm still having issues to take it back to my local Verizon store and have them swap it out.

0 Likes
mj1968

Tried again & failed, 02/09/2012 @ 10:09 AM CST. Had strongest 3G connection available in this area (between 3 & 4 bars).

0 Likes
pagtun

I spoke with a Technical Support Coordinator the other day and she formally started Verizon's internal processes to have this issue resolved. But it might take awhile since software updates are generally issued by the phone's manufacturer, not Verizon. I guess we're at the mercy of Pantech for now. Hopefully they will respond in a timely manner! That's if they want to keep their customers.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

I installed the PC upgrade tool that pops up if you plug it in via the USB cable. It reports no u

0 Likes
eks1910
Enthusiast - Level 3

So where did you find the PC upgrade tool?

0 Likes
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

it's apparently loaded on the phone.

when plugging the phone into the USB port, if you don't have it set to be "usb mass storage" by default (either have it set to prompt you or set for USB modem mode) it connects a virtual CD drive to your PC with a small program set to Autoplay. You may never see it if Autoplay is disabled on your PC. It will pop up a small window asking if you want to install the upgrade monitor tool. if you say yes, it'll do so, and it may prompt you again for some other tool. agreeing to these will get you the upgrade check tool on your PC. supposedly it will check what phone you have and look for any updates, download and install. Of course, my phone said there was an update and the PC said there wasn't, so YMMV.    

0 Likes
mj1968

Been there, done that, unsuccessful. ("No update available") So, still no solution. Smiley Sad

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

0 Likes