My prepaid flip phone keeps rebooting, and it doesn't matter which phone it is.
Baltika4

This started about a week ago. I had a Samsung Gusto 2 start rebooting with no warning, so I did an online equipment change to a Gusto 3. The Gusto 3 kept rebooting as well, so I did another equipment change back to a  Gusto 2 - this time a different one, one I bought only because it was on sale for $9.99 and came with $10 of airtime (in other words, free phone / battery / charger), one I hadn't used yet (except to activate it to add the $10 to my account and then switch back).

Finally, I tried switching my number to my reliable old Samsung Gusto 1, which I loved and only upgraded from because its one downside was that the alarm didn't work. No luck there, either.

To address the questions I know are coming:

1.) Yes, I tried taking the battery out for a while in all four instances. Yes, I lightly wiped the battery with a clean, dry cloth and a Q-Tip in all four instances, and yes, I did the same with the inside of the phone.

2.) Yes, in all four cases the battery was fully charged.

3.) Yes, with the third phone (the second Gusto 2) I tried a factory reset. No luck. Doing so with the other three phones is out of the question because I have at least ten games on each of them, which cost far more than the phones did. This is an important point, because...

4.) ...yes, I tried calling the 888-294-6804 number. They suggested the factory reset with the third phone, so I did it. It didn't work. Then when I refused to try it with the phones that have all the games, they said they can't open a ticket because I didn't try everything. Why should I ditch all those games for a tactic that didn't work on the first phone, one which had been used only once? Basically, when they ran out of ideas they shut me down because they knew I wouldn't delete $75-80 worth of games in a failed attempt to revive a $19 phone even once, much less three times.

5.) Yes, I tried reactivating with *228 and *22898 in all four instances.

6.) Yes, I went to a Verizon store. I was snottily told that they don't bother with us lowly prepaid trash (not the sales rep's words, but certainly her tone) before being subjected to a sales pitch.

7.) Yes,the area code is consistent with my living area. I have used the same area code (which Verizon assigned to me based on my zip code) since 2005, and have lived in the same house all that time. The reboots are a brand new problem, but nothing else has changed.

8.) No, there is no damage of any kind, water or otherwise, to any of the phones. And of the four, only two have experienced extensive use.

I have spent a week on this - calls to support, trips to the useless store, online equipment changes, reactivations, battery removal and so on. I've tried putting my wife's account on these phones, and she does not experience this problem. The support number (888-294-6804) won't help because I refuse to reset the other three phones after the first reset failed to help the unused phone, so please don't tell me to call them again. The store experience was infuriating, so I won't ever set foot in another one.

What's left? I will not upgrade to a smartphone because I don't have the patience for touch screen and none of the plans fit my low level of use. I got no help from the support number or the store. One original Gusto, two of the second model and a new Gusto 3 are all rebooting constantly, but only with my account (again, my wife's account works fine on these phones!).

I considered a couple theories, but neither make sense (for example, the phones are reacting poorly to an account with a recently grandfathered plan). I thought perhaps the Gusto series was too obsolete for the network, but the Gusto 3 is still available in stores everywhere and my wife's account even works on the original Gusto. She's now using the Gusto 3. which is not rebooting for her but did for me. Her account is almost brand new and has one of the new plans, mine is over ten years old and has a grandfathered plan I refuse to change. Is it possible that the phones just hate my account? It sounds ridiculous and makes no sense, but nothing else makes sense either.

I can't afford this level of unreliability. Because I insist on a flip phone or an equally simple locking candy bar model, there are some steps I won't take in addition to never going through the pain of calling the number or visiting a store again. This is probably my last stop before picking another carrier. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it?

I don't mean to sound like the curmudgeonly old man I am, but please don't tell me to call. I've done that too many times this week and if I have to hear the prepaid IVR's music again and waste an hour on steps I've done repeatedly before only to yet again hear nothing can be done, I'll lose what little sanity I have left after all of this.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My prepaid flip phone keeps rebooting, and it doesn't matter which phone it is.
Baltika4

Seriously? Nobody can help me with this?

0 Likes
Re: My prepaid flip phone keeps rebooting, and it doesn't matter which phone it is.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having a working phone Baltika4. I apologize for the delay in responding to your concerns. Unfortunately, we do not have access to Pre-Paid accounts. We have a great support team dedicated to assist with  pre-pay service and accounts. At your convenience you may reach out to them for further assistance at 1888-294-6804.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Baltika4

No, you don't have a great support team dedicated to prepaid accounts. If you did, I wouldn't have had to resort to this forum. Your "great support team" refused to open a ticket for me because I wasn't willing to go through another factory reset after the first two I tried failed to fix the problem. That's their trick - they ask the absurd, you do it, and then they keep asking for it over and over until you say you've had enough. That's when they tell you they can't open a ticket because you haven't actually tried everything.

All this time later, and my problem hasn't been resolved. And no, your response - which came more than two weeks after I asked - didn't answer my question either. I wouldn't expect you to care about us bottom-of-the-barrel prepaid flip phone users, but I've been a customer since 2005, have my number paid up until next January, and once I pass that expiration date I'm done with Verizon. Now that other carriers are ditching your precious two-year contracts, they actually care about us prepaid filth.

But at least you "understand the importance of having a working phone." Wow, was that helpful. As soon as I knew you had that keen level of insight, I knew I was in good hands. You expertly brushed me off with even more skill than the respondent to the only post I ever put up asking for help (the response I got to that one is that you fine folks don't deal with us lowly prepaid scum and that I should visit one of the corporate stores, but I already did that and they refuse to help us vile prepaid flip phone untouchables too).

Thanks for nothing.

0 Likes
Baltika4

By the way, in my original question, which you obviously didn't even read, I pointed out that I HAD ALREADY CONTACTED YOUR "GREAT SUPPORT TEAM."

If you're going to ignore me, could you at least TRY to give the impression that you actually read my post? You had over two weeks to do it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for any confusion, the support you will find here is mostly for post paid customers. We strongly encourage you to reach out to our Prepaid support team for assistance.

CarleyR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
stephen_r_ferg

The problems started after I did a SETTINGS>PHONE INFO> SOFTWARE UPDATE>CHECK NEW on my Gusto 2 flip phone.  The phone would keep rebooting every 10 seconds or so.  [One hypothesis is that the phone checks for updates and gets some kind of response that drives it crazy.]

There is a Youtube video that fixes a similar problem on Samsung smartphones, so I tried something similar on my Gusto 2.  I turned off the phone, then powered it up again by HOLIDING THE POWER-UP BUTTON ("End") PRESSED DOWN for about 15 seconds, until the phone had completely powered up.   That fixed the problem.  It worked for me.  Maybe it will work for you.

0 Likes