Mobile Email Crashing Basic Phone
mj1968

I've been using the Mobile Email app on a Pantech Hotshot and have been very pleased until yesterday. In the past I have frequently received notice that an update was available and have tried to download & install it, but the when I click that notice it says that no update is available in the Media Center. So I just ignored it and have continued using the email app for a couple months with no problems.

Yesterday I kept getting a notice that my Microsoft Exchange password had expired and needed to be reset. I checked this on my desktop and found the password to be working fine, so I tried re-entering my existing password in the Mobile Email app and continued to get the error message. I deleted the old Microsoft Exchange account through the Mobile Email app and re-established it (with the original password) and it started working perfectly again. I did nothing to my remaining accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, and one through our local ISP). I thought my problem was solved.

Today, however, when I select either the Mobile email app icon or the onscreen notification of a new email, the phone freezes, shuts off and restarts, offering no way to attempt any fixes or troubleshooting.

I store all of my music and photos on the memory card. Both the phone and the card have lots of memory space remaining (+200MB on phone, +1GB on 2GBcard). I only keep 2 days of messages on my phone, and recently cleared all of the attachments from all email accounts off the phone when I re-established the Exchange account, as described above. My Exchange email is working fine on both my desktop and my (wifi only) iPad.

I have been very pleased with the device and the Mobile Email app & service up until now. Is there a way to fix this problem without uninstalling the app and having to pay for it all over again?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile Email Crashing Basic Phone
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Isn't mobile email a monthly subscription?  You should be able to just delete it and reinstall it.  You can call customer service and explain what's happening (or in your case, not happening); if there is a fee for re-downloading they can probably credit it back to you if your account is charged.

0 Likes
mj1968

SuzyQ wrote:

You should be able to just delete it and reinstall it. 

Well, that'd be cool if I could open the app's options to delete it or disable it. Tap the icon, crash the phone. I can't find anything in Settings that will allow surgical removal of just one app. Only thing I can think of is to reset the phone to factory specs and start all over again. Sheesh...

Your suggestion is good, though. I will call VZW Support and see what they say before I try something so drastic. In the meantime, I'll move all my media to the card & use Backup Assistant to store all my other stuff to the cloud. At least that app is working correctly.   Smiley Sad 

0 Likes
mj1968
0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi mj1968,

I want to make sure you keep loving your Pantech Hotshot & mobile email application.  I'd like to offer some assistance.

First, thanks to SuzyQ for the great feedback & suggestions!

mj1968, if you're still experiencing the problem with your phone rebooting as a result of the mobile email application, please send me a direct message so I can further assist.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes