LG env Touch has too many problems

philliphanson
Member

I have had my LG enV Touch for about nine months - correction: I have had my LG enV Touch battery for about nine months. The phone itself was replaced about three months ago when it completely stopped making sounds. No ringer, no speakerphone, no sound during calls, nothing. Had it replaced with no problems, was given good service at the downtown Milwaukee, WI location.

 

I have had little issues with the phone itself for some time. The touchscreen is below average, and continues to make calls from my pocket just from normal jostling if I'm not careful. The battery life is pretty below average too, but nothing worth throwing a fit over. These are all things I can accept as basic problems with the phone and just wait the little over a year until I can upgrade. Verizon has treated me well up to now, and I thought I could live with the phone.

 

After it first broke, rendering it effectively useless outside of its text messaging capability, it was a simple process to replace, and although the people at the Verizon store I went to didn't seem to have any idea what might have gone wrong, I figured some phones must just have faulty wiring, or maybe it was even something I did unknowingly. But I was happy that they replaced my phone so quickly and easily. However, since that time, my phone has been nothing but trouble.

 

My major concern is that it will shut down at random times, whether it is in my pocket (maybe I pushed a button, but maybe not) or whether I am texting or making a call (now I know I didn't shut it down those times) and sometimes when it has just been sitting on my desk. I'm not some high powered businessman who needs to have his phone on him at all times, and would suffer terrible consequences or lose some big deal if I miss a call because my phone is off, but I am a student who relies on his cell phone to wake him up in the morning, and keeps it just about as close to him as anything else- it's kind of my "lifeline" to the world, even though I hate that it is.

 

Having my phone unpredictably turn off is incredibly frustrating, and although my experience with Verizon has been up to now very positive, it has made me reconsider LG phones as a whole, and even Verizon itself. I don't expect my phone to have outstanding battery life, or an amazing touchscreen, but I do need it to stay on all night so I wake up in the morning (although I've transitioned to my clock radio for my alarm now to be safe) and I'd like it to be on when I get calls from friends, family, or employers, especially as I've been looking for jobs lately.

 

Having replaced the entire phone once already, I did not expect to have problems again for some time, but this is just ridiculous. I plan on bringing my phone in to the Verizon store when I get home from school, and at the very least I expect some sort of explanation as to why I can't trust that my phone won't shut down on me when I need it, but I would LOVE a new phone (as long as it's not an LG).

 

Apologies for the length of the post, but trust me, if you have an enV Touch, you know how frustrating this phone is.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

derbyguy
Member

When I had my EnV Touch I had the same problem.  You're more than likely running an old version of the software (V7 or so can't remember exactly) which does not correctly save your settings in the right locations so you lose your wallpaper settings, ringer settings, etc.  What you'll have to do is take it in to a Verizon Corporate Store and have them do a software update for you.  The newest version of software is VX11KV11 I believe.  To check what version you have go to:  Settings & Tools>Phone Info>Softwware/Hardware Version and it will have your current version listed there.  Depending on what version you have it may be possible to do an over-the-air (OTA) update, but that wasn't the case for me as the download was too large for over the air.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

TDLGENVTOUCH
Member

I feel your pain.

When I first purchased my Touch about a year ago, it was rock solid - everything was great (except for the battery life - which we all know is the way it is).

I was advised to update the software version from 4 or 5 to 9.  Ever since the 'upgrade', my phone shuts off and restarts when ever it wants, usually when trying to access the internet via the Mobil Web.  Don't even get me started on the crappy Polaris 7 browser!  Accessing the internet is my main priority for this phone (to watch MLB Gameday Live, or to check current weather radars for my son's baseball games).

But, after numerous discussions with Verizon CS, they determined that my software update had to be performed in certain steps (version increments), (as discovered by LG themselves).  So, I was told to go back to the authorized store and have them uninstall the Version 9, and start again.  I'm hoping they can just get it back to Version 4 or 5 and leave it alone.

But, that's the reason why your phone is shutting itself off (if you have Version 9).

Hope it helps.

TDLGENVTOUCH

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

SFVera
Member

TDLGENVTOUCH wrote:

I feel your pain.

When I first purchased my Touch about a year ago, it was rock solid - everything was great (except for the battery life - which we all know is the way it is).

I was advised to update the software version from 4 or 5 to 9.  Ever since the 'upgrade', my phone shuts off and restarts when ever it wants, usually when trying to access the internet via the Mobil Web.  Don't even get me started on the crappy Polaris 7 browser!  Accessing the internet is my main priority for this phone (to watch MLB Gameday Live, or to check current weather radars for my son's baseball games).

But, after numerous discussions with Verizon CS, they determined that my software update had to be performed in certain steps (version increments), (as discovered by LG themselves).  So, I was told to go back to the authorized store and have them uninstall the Version 9, and start again.  I'm hoping they can just get it back to Version 4 or 5 and leave it alone.

But, that's the reason why your phone is shutting itself off (if you have Version 9).

Hope it helps.

TDLGENVTOUCH


 

Do you think it could be an age issue?  It seems to me from the posts I've read about it turning off by itself that it starts after several months of ownership.  I just got mine two months ago, had it upgraded to version 9 and it doesn't turn off.  It does regularly open functions (like music) when it is in my bag, even though I have a case the leather case that covers everything but the side buttons.  I'm just hoping that in 8-10 months it doesn't start shutting off b/c I love this phone and it would drive me crazy not to be able to rely on it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

philliphanson
Member

It could be an age issue, but that would just be all the more frustrating. If I'm supposed to use this phone for two years, and it already develops problems after 9 months (only three if you count the first replacement), then I don't want to know how bad it will get by the end of the two years. I'm ready to dump the enV Touch and LG altogether.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

SFVera
Member

philliphanson wrote:

It could be an age issue, but that would just be all the more frustrating. If I'm supposed to use this phone for two years, and it already develops problems after 9 months (only three if you count the first replacement), then I don't want to know how bad it will get by the end of the two years. I'm ready to dump the enV Touch and LG altogether.


I was just thinking with the amount of people experiencing issues starting between 9-12 months that might used to persuade Verizon to let you change/upgrade phones earlier.  I'm new to Verizon so I don't know if there is any flex in their policies but it couldn't hurt to make the case that many of the Touch phones have this problem.  I'd be nuts if (when) my Touch starts turning off by itself and would feel the same way you do about dumping LG.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

ckw
Member

mine doesnt shut down but the screen freezes and when i plug it into the charger that came with the phone it says this charger is not recomended for this phone. when i go online it says not enough memory to open page or something like that. I have had my phone for 2 months now. Im thinking im going to have to call them and have them send me a new phone

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

SFVera
Member

ckw wrote:

mine doesnt shut down but the screen freezes and when i plug it into the charger that came with the phone it says this charger is not recomended for this phone. when i go online it says not enough memory to open page or something like that. I have had my phone for 2 months now. Im thinking im going to have to call them and have them send me a new phone


Right after I got my Touch in early March I found this thread on this site about upgrading the software.  The upgrade is supposed to fix some of the memory problems that cause the freezing.  You have to take your phone into a Verizon store for the upgrade and it takes about a half hour.  Hope it helps.

 

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Cell_Phone_General_Devices_Questions_Tmp/mess... 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

pastinky
Member

This is the problem my daughters LG enV Touch started having, charging cord that came with the phone was now not recognizable, would charge all night and when you turned it on it had 1 bar, etc. But the first issues she had was that it would reset itself back to factory settings, turn off for no reason then reset.  So they gave her a brand new phone (this was about 3 months after having it).  Then it started having the cord issues so they gave her a new cord. Then she started having these problems again so they looked at her phone and said that she was on software 4 and they were now up to 8 so they tried to upgrade the software but the phone would not allow them to. So they mailed us another phone, this time it was a refurbished phone when it came the Verizon store check it & it was version 8.  Once again, started having problems with the phone, took it in & they said that it was now version 9 - and this was 3 weeks after getting the refurbished phone at version 8.  The last week my daughter has been experiencing problems again with the phone, basically the charging & battery life.  Last night we turned it off, charged it all night from about 7:30pm until 7:30am.  Viola another problem.......the phone would not turn on, when it did the screen stayed black, would not turn off so had to take the battery out, then it would turn on.  A few hours ago my daughter text me saying she has not been on the internet or done anything with the phone but it is about to die, only had 1 bar left.  We haven't even had this phone a complete year yet!  I am so through with this phone!.

 

Mind you it's not every phone that LG makes as I have had my Dare since it came out and have never experience any problems or software upgrades and mine works just fine.  I think LG just didn't pay attention to the technology & electronics of this phone so it's been one band aid after another. For what I paid for htis phone I expect it to work, I don't want to have to go and buy another phone, can't afford it and spent way too much money on this hunk of crap.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

cthunder067
Novice

 


SFVera wrote:

TDLGENVTOUCH wrote:

I feel your pain.

When I first purchased my Touch about a year ago, it was rock solid - everything was great (except for the battery life - which we all know is the way it is).

I was advised to update the software version from 4 or 5 to 9.  Ever since the 'upgrade', my phone shuts off and restarts when ever it wants, usually when trying to access the internet via the Mobil Web.  Don't even get me started on the crappy Polaris 7 browser!  Accessing the internet is my main priority for this phone (to watch MLB Gameday Live, or to check current weather radars for my son's baseball games).

But, after numerous discussions with Verizon CS, they determined that my software update had to be performed in certain steps (version increments), (as discovered by LG themselves).  So, I was told to go back to the authorized store and have them uninstall the Version 9, and start again.  I'm hoping they can just get it back to Version 4 or 5 and leave it alone.

But, that's the reason why your phone is shutting itself off (if you have Version 9).

Hope it helps.

TDLGENVTOUCH


 

Do you think it could be an age issue?  It seems to me from the posts I've read about it turning off by itself that it starts after several months of ownership.  I just got mine two months ago, had it upgraded to version 9 and it doesn't turn off.  It does regularly open functions (like music) when it is in my bag, even though I have a case the leather case that covers everything but the side buttons.  I'm just hoping that in 8-10 months it doesn't start shutting off b/c I love this phone and it would drive me crazy not to be able to rely on it.


That is my main concern as well. So far after 5 months my Touch has been rock solid. Other than the battery life and the occasional opening of functions, I can't complain with my experience with the Touch. Just keeping my fingers crossed I don't experience the shutting off or freezing problems others seem to have.

 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: LG env Touch has too many problems

Stryton
Novice

Completely agree!  This phone is garbage!  Sure it looks nice and has a sleek look to it, but has a lot of hardware/software issues.  I will never buy another LG product after experiencing this phone.  LG Product Pro, if you are reading this because I know you post here and on your LG forums as I do as well you need to make sure you let everyone at your company know how much your companies reputation has been damaged by this phone.

0 Likes