LG Extravert problem with Backup Assistant
dylismith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Recently I got an LG Extravert for my wife.  After using it a while she decided she didn't like it and we decided to switch phones.  I followed the directions on the web site and all seemed to go well.  After reprogramming the phones switched numbers.  We could make and receive calls on our "new" phones.

However, now, everyday I get a message saying that the phone has changed and I need to update Backup Assistant.  Well, when I try to log into Backup Assistant, I put in my PIN and get a message that that account already exists and that I need to delete Backup Assistant on this phone and reinstall it.  But when I try to delete Backup Assistant, I get a message saying it can't be deleted because it's locked.  But when I look at the properties of the file, it says it's unlocked.

So I can't log in to update it, I can't delete it so I can reinstall it, and I can't use it.  But I keep getting these annoying messages.

What do I do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Extravert problem with Backup Assistant
Thebrowns7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey,

I just had the same problem with a LG Extravert I bought off of Ebay.

What worked for me was to go to settings then phone settings then security.

Enter in the default lock code, which is the last 4 on the phone number,

Then click on restore phone and enter the default code again.

Your phone should then restart and when you go back into backup assistant it should work for you.

I would NOT recommend using the restore phone option unless you have everything on the phone saved somewhere else as it will delete everything on the phone.

Hope this helps

Wink48
Enthusiast - Level 1

OMG!!!  I have had this reconditioned phone from Verizon for 2 weeks and was unable to use it because I could not get my contacts transferred to this Extravert!  Agents thought it was something to do with the changes and upgrades to the NEW version of Backup Assistant (which will let you backup contacts, pictures (sounds or ringtones maybe?) and even text messages!!  Anyway..apparently this problem exists only when you are activating a phone that someone else has activated before you!!  Some crazy glitch.  The first time I tried to activate this phone and backup my contacts from the VZ website, something happened and ALL 227 of my contacts were DELETED from VZ.com!!!  Fortunately, I still had them saved on another phone.

I gad asked if performing a hard reset might work, but the agent said his info suggested that it would not work, so I decided not to waste my time.

Anyway...I was about to resort to his suggestion of purchasing and using a micro SD card in order to get the contacts transferred, when I happened to check this support page for my new phone.  (reconditioned-so I did not get an owner's manual.)

As a last resort, I tried the suggestion that suggested, and AMAZINGLY...it worked perfectly!!  Two weeks of nightmare is over!!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!   I also took the time to call VZ tech support and inform them and the agent took down this info to give to his supervisor!  Hopefully, it will help many other people.

0 Likes
Wink48
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope you are following this thread...perhaps not and maybe this reply will reach you... 

Try the suggesting that is posted here...

What worked for The Browns7 and I both  was to go to settings, then phone settings, then security.

Enter in the default lock code, which is the last 4 on the phone number,

Then click on restore phone and enter the default code again.

Your phone should then restart and when you go back into backup assistant it should work for you.

0 Likes
TheRutlands

Yes, restoring from factory settings on the LG Extravert seems to be the answer for resetting the Backup Assistant.  But before you do, get an SD card and install it and backup everything on the phone to the card using Settings > Memory > Card Memory, then go through all options as appropriate.  Then do the the factory reset.  Then go back into the memory card (use previous path) and select each option, using More to access the copy to phone action.

--Our situation was identical to dylismith's.  Bought an LG Extravert with a new phone number for our daughter.  The new number was recycled and was extremely tainted (need I say more?).  Got another (recycled) number from VZW.  But the Backup Assistant was tied to the first number.  I couldn't delete Backup Assistant in order to re-install it.  Spent nearly two hours with VZW tech support resetting everything from our verizon.com profiles to trying to re-establish BA on VZWs end.  While on the phone w/ tech support I found dylismith's entry.  Seems that resetting the phone from factory settings is the only way to get the LG Extravert to release the internal lock on Backup Assistant.  This is definitely a glitch with the LG Extravert.

So, we grabbed the SD memory card from my wife's phone and stuck it into my daughter's phone and backed up her contacts.  Did the factory reset and the reset version of Backup Assistant recognized the phone's current number.   Unfortunately, we didn't backup any of the other items on the phone before the reset (such as photos) which can be done.

Good luck and thanks to all for posting responses to this thread. Obviously Verizon is oblivious to this LG Extravert problem.

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good afternoon and thank you to the community for all of your helpful feedback and responses!

Clearly the Backup Assistant application is difficult on the LG Extravert.  I would also be frustrated if my only option was to reset the whole phone.  I've done a little research, and what I have found is that the Backup Assistant can be reset by the following steps:

• Launch Backup Assistant (from Apps)
  • Go to Help Screen
  • Dial *73738# (*RESET#)
  • The application will close the phone will go back to the Apps page.

I trust this information is helpful!

Thank you,

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
tclarke

I am having this same problem.  While Vanessas answer seems easy enough there is one problem.  When you are in the backup assist - help screen - how are you to dial anything, this is a touch phone.  We have even tried using the qwerty keyboard with no luck.

I was on the phone with verizon for an hour today about this and got no help.

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good morning tclarke.

When on you're on the Help screen, you can press the Call button, and then dial *73738# . 

Please let me know if this helps. 

Thanks,

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Luvbug9704

Ok when you hit the help button it tells me to delete backup assistant go to the get it now mobile shop, select the application, options, and cancel subscription. Then go to the Get it now mobile shop, get going to download a fresh copy. There is no call button anywhere on any screen after you hit help. I have been having the same issue for months now and Im tired of seeing the same thing over and over again and I don't want to reset it if I don't have to.

0 Likes
Elraf28

If you slide the phone open so you have the keyboard, you have to use the "FN" button. So it's more like -FN-*73738-FN-# then the "ok" button. It worked for me. Smiley Happy

0 Likes