LG Cosmos Touch screen lights up by itself
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just sitting on a table with the screen locked the background light comes on.  This obviously wears down the battery.  Any way to prevent this?  I can turn off the screen but it will come back on moments later.

While it frequently happens I can't say that it happens all the time.

Sometimes it will come on bright and then go dim after several seconds but still stay on dim.

The software is up to date.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Cosmos Touch screen lights up by itself **Latest update worked**
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

I updated my phone a few days ago.  So far it appears to be working as expected.

As a result of this unacceptable experience, both LG and Verizon are off my list of vendors.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: LG Cosmos Touch screen lights up by itself
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just had the phone replaced.  I should be able to tell within a day or so if the problem still exists.

Good service from the Webster, NY Verizon store when we originally asked for help and they ordered a new phone.

Different story when we took in the new phone to have it activated and stuff moved over from the old.  They proceeded to break  a tab off the plastic cover so it would not stay on the phone.  They tried to give it back to me this way but we noted the breakage.  They replaced the broken side with a new one however it was a different color shade.  She went back and got the other half so we had a matched set.  She was very testy and accused us of breaking the tab.  Very poor customer service from this one individual.

0 Likes
Re: LG Cosmos Touch screen lights up by itself
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like the replacement phone solved the problem.  I haven't seen it come on by itself and the battery charge lasts much longer.

0 Likes
Re: LG Cosmos Touch screen lights up by itself - NOT SOLVED
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Spoke too soon.  Problem still exists with replacement phone.

0 Likes
hauntedwolfman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm having this same problem. After a lot of Googling and researching, I was able to get the "Daily Scoops" ad stopped, yet the phone lights up all the time. You wake it up, and it's on "Browse and Download". Usually, it's just the backlight coming on with a black screen. This is killing the battery and making the phone unreliable. Being my wife's phone, it worries me that she'll be out somewhere, thinking her phone is fully charged, only to find it dead because of this. It's happened several times while she's been at work. She goes in thinking she has plenty of battery - by her break, the thing is dead without any warning. Many of the reports and questions about this I've found started back in July. That there hasn't been any kind of word or update or fix yet is troubling, to say the least. It's inexcusable that such a phone-breaking glitch is STILL messing with people's LIVES. And yeah, that sounds dramatic, until you realize how vital a cell phone can be in life-threatening circumstances (such as being stranded or having a wreck). STOP IGNORING THIS PROBLEM
0 Likes
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3
It’s unbelievable to me that a company like LG (and Verizon) can release a phone with such an obvious defect.  And even more so that they are not admitting the problem and promising to resolve the defect in a timely manner. 

I’ll probably return the replacement phone.
0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello harvx,

I know the intermittent backlight can be a bit much.  I would like to make sure one of the pre-loaded applications is not causing this.  There is an application on the device called Daily Scoop.  Please try turning off application message settings by launching the Daily Scoop application by navigating to Menu>Media Center>Browse & Downloads.  Once you launch the application select Menu>Options>Verizon Messages>Off>Save. Repeat the same process for bonus messages by pressing Menu>Options>Bonus Messages.  Once this is complete please power cycle the device and retest.  Please advise me of your results.  Thank you.    

0 Likes
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

I made the changes and POPO'd the phone yesterday.

When I got up in the middle of the night I saw the light come on and off.

I don't watch the phone 24/7 but it appears to not come on as frequent as before.  By before I mean before I replaced the phone and made the Scoop changes to the replacement.

What other apps on the phone can cause the light to come on?  Battery life is of most importance to me over any app.

0 Likes
jenivere2006

This is happening to me at 2 am every morning, as well. I made the comment in a different thread, but my phone is pinging the daily scoop, as well as the backup assistant, even though I have suspended my account for the daily scoop, and I never downloaded the backup assistant in the first place. Verizon should just admit they don't know how to resolve the problems with their own problematic apps.

0 Likes
harvx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem still exists.  I saw the light come on then go off a few seconds later in the middle of the night.

In the morning I see the light on dim.  When I unlock it's says "CATALOG" at the top then the following
- Get new Applications (dim)
- Social Beat (bright)
- Backup Assistant (dim)
- City ID (bright but partially covered by a box saying CONNECTING with static red and black arrows in a circle)
- Travel and Navigati... (bright)
- Bing Search (dim)
- Sports (bright)

So it looks like it's trying to connect to something but not able to.

I'll try to attach a picture but not sure if this will work.

Photobucket
0 Likes