Re: LG Chocolate Touch - What's the deal with the Data Plan?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

no, a Chocolate Touch doesn't need a data plan

0 Likes
katme

I've BEEN to the store, multiple times. They tell me the chocolate touch and the env3 both require the minimum $10 data plan.  So frustrated.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

I would say try a different store as that location has no clue.  How can they say that, there is no more $10 data plan so that makes no sense they are telling you that.  All the stores here in NY activate the env3 without data no problem.  What did customer service say when you called to activate?  My friend just last week bought a used env3 and didn't have to go in.  She dialed 228 from the phone and followed the prompts and it was done and no data added.  Did you try that?  Mary

0 Likes
Not applicable

Mary Beaumariage wrote:

I would say try a different store as that location has no clue.  How can they say that, there is no more $10 data plan so that makes no sense they are telling you that. 

Actually that plans still does exist

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Oh the site does not list the $10 plan but maybe I am looking in the wrong spot or you just have to ask for it.  Either way I don't get why the store is saying that when it's not true for the ENV3.  Mary

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Are you going to a regular verizon store?  Try another one, we have them on every corner here it seems. What happens when you try to activate with 228?  Lsst week that's all my friend had to do from the phone.  Did you try and call customer service and have them activate it?  Boy I should give the employees at the store I go to Christmas gifts.  You walk in and they will activate those phoes and they know no data plan require.  Maybe someone can escalate this post up to a rep for you and get it taken care of.  Mary

0 Likes
damop

My wife had real trouble with an LG Cosmos Touch "pocket dialing".  Because it is a slide-out keyboard design, there wasn't a skin for it to help protect the keys.  And bumping the side key twice (for "ease of use", I'm sure) unlocked the phone, bypassing the screen swipe.

Additional gripes - absolutely no way to bring up a dialpad during a phone call.  Oh, if you had access numbers you could put them in as part of the stored number, but there was no way to respond to typical "Enter 1 for English..." automated menu systems without sliding out the keyboard.  Which also turned on the speakerphone.

She couldn't believe junk like this was on the market.  I suggested a smart phone, as they at least have some support, but she wanted a basic phone, "except with a QWERTY keyboard."  I looked high and low for old phones, because this class of device seems to have disappeared from the market.  I read through the owner's manual for the Chocolate Touch and crossed it off my list because it had "hit it multiple times" and "handwriting recognition" text entry, but no QWERTY.

Except, Internet reviews showed it did.  So, I got one for her for Xmas.

She loves it.  She has absolutely no use for the data features, but wants an easy-to-use device that can take decent snapshots, play MP3 files, has an appointment calendar and a contacts list to run a phone with decent performance.  And, if she has to deal with her van pool riders, who all text like crazy, a QWERTY keyboard.  And a dialpad option during a call.

The Chocolate Touch does all these things.  And, as of December 2012, Verizon lists it as a "basic phone", so no data plan is required.

However, if she wants to use any data features, the only option at this time (other than $1.99/MB for data) is the Share Everything Plan.  If she has Verizon classify it as a smart phone and groups it with her tablet, she can share whatever data pool she is willing to pay for between the two devices.  Cost for both?  $120/month, compared to $90/month for two separate plans, with the Chocolate Touch classified as a basic phone.

I have looked over Verizon's plans pretty carefully.  I have a real hard time understanding them.  (It reminds me a little of the IRS...or perhaps a card game called Montana Red Dog.)

So, Verizon's policy seems to support the "multimedia phones" (used to be called feature phones) as either basic phones or smart phones, depending on whether you opt for a data plan or not.  But, since they don't sell this class of phone at the present time, their site does an absolutely horrible job of explaining this gray area.  And, I'm not surprised if a person would get conflicting answers from different representatives.

BTW, we are about **THIS** close to abandoning Verizon Wireless completely, in favor of a couple of prepaid basic phones and a "pay as you go" 3G WiFi hotspot.  We can than use that device with whatever netbooks, tablets, etc. we happen to have with us, without having to pay Verizon's amusing "access fees" per device. 

0 Likes
EEZZYYDUZIT

I HAVE A LG TOUCH ID LIKE TO SWAP MY EXISTING PRE PAID NUMBER TOO , AN HAVE NO DATA PLAN ONLY TEXT AN CALL 

>Personal email address removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
had-enough

<Duplicate post deleted for cross posting per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.  See for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes