Kyocera DuraXV E4810 Extreme Speaker Phone
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a ticket opened with Kyocera Support and has been since 8/4/2020. Of course like in other posts, Kyocera was aware of the issue for the past two weeks and told me that a software update was in progress and should be released soon. The software update was available around 8/6/2020. The Kyocera E4810 phone. I downloaded the newly available software version 1.022VZ and it did not fix the issue of Speaker phone mode selection spuriously. I have found that if I plug in my wired headset while phone is powered up, when I decide to remove it from the headset jack on the phone, the Speaker phone mode issue returns meaning when answering incoming calls. To get the phone back to earpiece operation, I have to power cycle the phone. I have mimiced the circumstances causing the issue more than 20 times.  The call's audio will emit audio through the earpiece. I then plugged my wired headset into the 2.5mm Headset jack and immediately unplugged it. Without the headset being plugged in, I called the E4810 device from my home phone, I flipped open the cover to the E4810 to answer the call but before actually answering the call using the steps mentioned above, I noticed that the Speaker phone Icon was active on the screen of the E4810 device. When I pressed Accept or Send button, the call answered in Speakerphone. There lies the issue and errors. Explained to Kyocera Support and Vz Support. Still waiting on the next sw update from Kyocera who acknowledged this exact issue. The version os sw I have is 1.102VZ version. Eric with Vz Support is quite helpful as he also reached out to Kyocera Support once I provided him my case number with Kyocera. Quite disappointed with Kyocera for sure. Regret buying this phone and only had it for about a month.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Correct answers
Re: Kyocera DuraXV E4810 Extreme Speaker Phone
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello TracyB, The issue has not been resolved by Kyocera Support. They stated to me that they are aware of the issue and needed to release another software update but had no timeline as to when that would occur. The phone is built to withstand dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, blowing rain, low pressure, solar radiation, salt fog, humidity, freeze-thaw and icing/freezing rain but not a wired headset. Marvin

View solution in original post

mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see that software version 1.200VZ was available yesterday and I downloaded it. The phone did the restart afterwards as typical of updates.

A new software update was released through Verizon by Kyocera yesterday. Version is now 1.200VZ and same speakerphone issue is present. Are they not validating the software before releasing? It appears not. I merely plugged in a wired headset without a microphone accessory and unplugged. Called the cell phone and when I opened the handset flip cover, the speakerphone icon was indicated and the call is answered via speakerphone. This issue has not been resolved. Is there a release notes document that could be shared as to the supposed fixes in this most recent Kyocera update? All software updates that I have been a part of while working at various companies have release notes. The generic statement that enhancements and fixes were completed does not provide any real details. I really would like to have some help here to resolve the issue. Is anyone listening? What does it take to resolve this ongong issue?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello,mrmerritt. We want you to have a working phone, so I'm troubled to learn about the speakerphone. Your time is valuable, and it looks like you've been dealing with Kyocera for quite some time. You mentioned you've worked with us. Have we performed any troubleshooting? We're here to help explore your options.

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello TracyB, The issue has not been resolved by Kyocera Support. They stated to me that they are aware of the issue and needed to release another software update but had no timeline as to when that would occur. The phone is built to withstand dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, blowing rain, low pressure, solar radiation, salt fog, humidity, freeze-thaw and icing/freezing rain but not a wired headset. Marvin
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update and correction to my original post. The headset jack is 3.5mm not 2.5mm but all other information stated is accurate. As of the time of this "reply", Kyocera has not pushed out a software update to correct the issue and no date. Has anyone else seen the issue as I reported with the phone? I have an active case with Kyocera and spoken with them several times comprised of hours of discussion with them. Perhaps if enough people report the issue, there will be a sense of urgency for Kyocera to provide a software fix and not merely the workaround they mentioned which is to simply power cycle the phone after every headset use. Unbelievable for an expensive Flip phone.

Marvin

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, TracyB your Vz Support team and Vz Customer Support teams have troubleshot the issue. I was able to nail the cause of the issue after several hours of testing my device at home about 2 weeks ago. After I could repeat the issue, I checked all of the forums again and there appeared to be no details on any forums I found stating the trigger to the issue. I have invested several hours on the phone with Kyocera and Vz Support so yes, time is valuable and I have lost quite a bit of time due to just trying to get Kyocera to provide a fix for their newly released phone that is supposedly bulletproof. I have a document with all details of names, dates, details of discussion from late July i.e. about one week after purchasing this phone brand new from Vz. By the way, it is the second new phone as Vz corp exchanged after they saw the issue as well. Kyocera Support told me to do a factory reset on the phone to see if that would fix the issue and I said that would not work. They agreed and told me that the issue requires yet another software update and no planned date for the release. I was even told by Kyocera that there was no issue and finally some hours later, the Support person acknowledged that a software fix is required and they are working on it. This is the same message conveyed to Eric of your Support Team member as Eric himself told me. I do not have the last name for Eric as I suppose from a company policy operation, only first names are given. I would like to know if Vz being a very large Wireless Carrier in the US can exert more urgency for Kyocera to find a solution as I can not be the only person who sees this issue caused by use of a wireless headset or maybe I am. In any case, the Device Model has a defect(s) seemingly driven by the software. I worked with a very large Telecom company for years and we supplied Class 4 Soft switches to Vz and other companies. When we received any concerns from Vz for example, we went into the labs to duplicate the concern and provided updates weekly if not daily. We could never merely state that we had essentially no planned date of a fix for 3 weeks and counting. If you want me to share my notes, please inform me. My case number with Kyocera is 711468.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mrmerritt,

Your added information regarding the less than ideal performance of the DuraXV is appreciated. I am happy to let you know that this is being tracked on our end as well (Device Issue Tracking No.  139226-081220). Our offline team that works with manufacturers posted the most recent update within our system several days ago. Below, you'll see their response. 

"This is a known issue which is under investigation by the device vendor. This will be addressed in a future software update (SU3). The release date is under review and the Device Forums will be updated once the release schedule is finalized."

I am confident my offline peers who help address these matters are creating a sense of urgency so you and everyone else who is impacted will have a resolution as quickly as possible. Thank you for your cooperation as well as your patience in the matter. 

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ryan,

Thank you for the update.

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any update from Kyocera as of yet? It has been more than a month now. I really regret buying from this Supplier/manufacturer for sure.

The phone also has an issue with voice dialing commands volume when connected to a bluetooth device and there is no means that I have seen that corrects this. I have tried all Volume settings in the menu tree. I was hoping that their software update to be released maybe by December 25th, 2020 would have a fix for that as well. Do I need to open a case with Kyocera for that as well?

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see that software version 1.200VZ was available yesterday and I downloaded it. The phone did the restart afterwards as typical of updates.

A new software update was released through Verizon by Kyocera yesterday. Version is now 1.200VZ and same speakerphone issue is present. Are they not validating the software before releasing? It appears not. I merely plugged in a wired headset without a microphone accessory and unplugged. Called the cell phone and when I opened the handset flip cover, the speakerphone icon was indicated and the call is answered via speakerphone. This issue has not been resolved. Is there a release notes document that could be shared as to the supposed fixes in this most recent Kyocera update? All software updates that I have been a part of while working at various companies have release notes. The generic statement that enhancements and fixes were completed does not provide any real details. I really would like to have some help here to resolve the issue. Is anyone listening? What does it take to resolve this ongong issue?

0 Likes
mrmerritt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Spoke with Kyocera Support tonight and the Tech said that the software release from two days ago was only a maintenance release and does not resolve the speakerphone issue. There is no update for when that fix will be available. I am done with this phone and Kyocera. I will call Customer service and get out of this device. Very disappointed for such an expensive flip phone.

0 Likes