Keeping unlimited 3g data plan on upgrade, upset with VZW!
jacobweber2000
Contributor - Level 2

I would love to get a smart phone, but like a lot of people, im just not dumb enough to want to spend $30/month for 2g of data. This should be UNLIMITED! PERIOD!. I currently have a LG Octane with a $15 unlimited plan on it. I need to know if I can keep my data/voice plan (AS IT IS!) and still do an upgrade to another "feature phone".

I am very upset right now on 5 issues.

1) Forcing people to change their plans to get a newer phone.

2) Forcing people to pay full retail price if they want to keep their plan.

3) Forcing people to choose between full price or 2 year contract. I have never wanted a 2 year contract in over 10 years of being with VZW and even paid extra for  a "1 year contract".

4) From what I understand, the new $35 charges to UPGRADE.

5) New data plans that really overcharge those who only wish to have one line of service.

At some point, people will start leaving VZW over these issues alone.

Ever since VZW decided to screw their customers by separating phones into "feature" and "advanced" phones, this has been a major issue with me. An advanced phone today should eventually become a "feature" phone latter, simply because it is older technology.

BTW.. I used to sell cellphones for almost 13 years and been shocked at how this industry has become so screwed up. I honestly dont expect any of my issues to be resolved but someone has to say something.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Keeping unlimited 3g data plan on upgrade, upset with VZW!
AZSALUKI
Legend

they no longer call them feature phones. you either get a smart phone or a basic phone. how much data can you possibly be using on an octane? anyhow, they have a new plan for basic phones. $70 for unlimited text, voice, and 300 mb's of data. there's also a 700 minute plan ($40) with pay as you go messaging and data, but if you text and use data you'd likely want the $70 plan. you can view it here:

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/pdf/verizon_share_everything_plan_details.pdf

the basic plan is down at the bottom.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Before the data plan changes that go into effect tomorrow, I would have said you can upgrade your phone to another basic phone and keep your same grandfathered unlimited data plan for feature phones. But now I'm not so sure. I'm guessing your plan is really old, so eventually you will lose it.

You may have better luck buying a phone elsewhere and activate it without changing your plan. The Octane was actually a highly rated basic phone though, so I'm not sure what else you'll find for basic phones that are better than what you already have.

Regarding your five issues, it is a lot of changes at once and I'm sure you are not the only one upset by all the new policies.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

jacobweber2000 wrote:

I am very upset right now on 5 issues.

1) Forcing people to change their plans to get a newer phone.

2) Forcing people to pay full retail price if they want to keep their plan.

3) Forcing people to choose between full price or 2 year contract. I have never wanted a 2 year contract in over 10 years of being with VZW and even paid extra for  a "1 year contract".

4) From what I understand, the new $35 charges to UPGRADE.

5) New data plans that really overcharge those who only wish to have one line of service.

1. It's been this way for a long time. It just happens to be your turn now.

2. See 1.

3. See 1.

4. only $30, see you just saved $5.

5. You don't have to change to the new SHARED plan.

See you have no reason to be upset.

0 Likes
jacobweber2000
Contributor - Level 2

1) no it hasnt. I upgraded just 18months ago, and kept my phone plan and data plan the same.. Granted they tried that BS for 3 years before that, and I waited until they changed their tune and allowed me to keep my plans on my upgrade.

2) see 1)

3) up until last year, I was always able to get a 1 year upgrade. I had to pay more, which in itself was BS, but I wanted the ability to upgrade sooner should I need to, or want to.

4) Should be ZERO. Why the heck should anyone be required to pay a fee on an upgrade.  That should be free when you are signing a new contract. Again they are nickle and diming us to death.

5) You do have to change your data plan if you upgrade. I want to keep my old $15 unlimited data plan because I dont want to have to keep track of what data I am using. My life is already so crazy that I dont need one more thing to keep track of. Why should I have to change my data plan on an OLD basic phone. They are basically forcing people into upgrading to "smart phones"

Oh and I will add one more to this conversation 6).. It really is ridiculous that VZW has conned people into thinking that there is a "advanced device" phone. All new phones, ever since the 1980's have been an "advanced phone" for its time. Eventually those became "less advanced" and the prices would drop so that the average person could actually afford the technology.  That has not happened on so called "smart phones".

>Post edited to comply with VZW ToS<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

jacobweber2000 wrote:

Oh and I will add one more to this conversation 6).. It really is ridiculous that VZW has conned people into thinking that there is a "advanced device" phone. All new phones, ever since the 1980's have been an "advanced phone" for its time. Eventually those became "less advanced" and the prices would drop so that the average person could actually afford the technology.  That has not happened on so called "smart phones".

you understand that verizon is not the manufacturer right? manufacturers set the price.....not verizon. verizon only decides how much of it they can subsidize.

0 Likes
jacobweber2000
Contributor - Level 2

I know from experience that VZW works very closely with the manufacturers to get the phones designed to their own specifications. VZW is in fact pushing "smart phones" to the manufacturers. Motorola completely stopped making "basic phones" a few years ago directly because VZW and other carriers said that they were focused on "smart phones". Manufacturers would not be offering $700 retail priced phones if the carriers were not pushing them in their stores. Its the facts of the way they have always done business.

My premise on #6 is 100% correct. These "smart phones" should now be the low end "basic phones", but VZW wont do that because it doesnt go along with their thought process of overcharging people. Those people who are still using "basic phones" are typically the people who dont want the data services, or just dont want to pay the "state of the art prices".

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

well you do understand that the market dictates prices right? when we all stop paying what they charge, prices will fall. we haven't done that because we demand these devices, and pay the asking price. phones are no different than anything else....they can only charge what we are willing to pay. if you don't think a smart phone is worth what it costs, then don't buy it, but it is silly to think they are somehow forcing us to buy overpriced consumer goods.

jacobweber2000
Contributor - Level 2

However, only a few companies have the licensed frequencies, which makes them a monopoly that should be broken up with the SHERMAN ACT! Then the prices will come down.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jacobweber2000 wrote:

However, only a few companies have the licensed frequencies, which makes them a monopoly that should be broken up with the SHERMAN ACT! Then the prices will come down.

Nope as they license out these to other carriers as well at pennies to the dollar in sales.  MobiPCS for example makes a lot of money off Verizon's spectrum because they don't have to maintain the network and gets to use it on the cheap.  Prices will ALWAYS go up.  The more and more they need to maintain the more expensive it'll get.  The more we want and the more they have to provide the price will go up.

0 Likes