Just changed my mobile number online; *228 to reprogram will not work...
mistiquestudio

I have a Cosmos 3 (basic phone), and I just changed my mobile number via the Verizon site.  I tried to text family to let them know about the change; only when that did not work did I realize that I was not quite finished. Per the last set of on-screen instructions I tried to dial *228 to reprogram/activate the phone, but when I do I get a recording: "Recording 206: your call cannot be completed as dialed..." etc. etc.

I cannot call anyone else, or text, or basically do anything with my phone, although it is still fully functional.  Under "My Number" it still tells me my old number.  I have tried turning the phone off and on again several times, removing the battery, dialing *661 (as the prompt recommends) and absolutely nothing works.

I have no land line and no other access to a phone; the easiest thing I can do is go to a Verizon store tomorrow morning.  I'm *hoping* I don't have to resort to that...any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Just changed my mobile number online; *228 to reprogram will not work...
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

The old info is still going to show. try calling *22890, ensure you are in coverage (not roaming/signal bars). if anything, your phone may need to be manually programmed, and without a callback number, just head to a vzw store

0 Likes
mistiquestudio

Definitely have service.  Just tried *22890 (it was one I had not found online), but alas, it did not work either; I get the same recording.  At least there's a Verizon store very nearby; it looks like I will have to stop by there tomorrow morning.  Thank you anyway!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

When you change your number it takes a few hours for all systems to get the info. I normally will change mine at night, then shut the phone off for the night and the next day it is good to go

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear mistiquestudio,

Good morning. Changing your mobile number should be simple. I am sorry to hear the difficulties you are experiencing. It would be my pleasure to provide you with steps on reactiving your phone.

Normally, dialing *228 send and selecting option1 will reactivate service. Unless you are in an extended area, *228 will not work. To make sure you are in a Verizon coverage area, can you please provide us with your zip code. Also, you may try manually programming your phone if *228 send is not working.

To manually program your phone follow the steps below:

1.  • With the slide closed, press # #   7 7 6 4 7 2 6 2 5 1 Send

2.  • Service Code ?????? displays, enter 000000 (Service Programming Code - Default)

3. • Select option 1 for Service Prg

4.  • Phone number (MDN) XXXXXXXXXX displays, enter the 10 digit MDN then press OK.

5. • Phone number (MIN) XXXXXXXXXX displays, enter the 10 digit MIN then press OK.

6.  • NAM 1 Name dispays, press OK

7.  • NAM1 MCC [310] displays, press OK.

8.  • CDMA HOME SID/NID displays, scroll to SID, press OK, enter SID without the zero's in front (i.e. 20=CHI, 530=SBD) then press OK.

9. • Ensure NID shows 65535

10.  • Scroll up to Index, press OK

11.  • Slot Cycle Index [X] displays, press OK.

12.  • Programming complete -  Phone will power cycle 

Once the phone powers back on, dial *228 send and select option 1. If you still experience difficulites, please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance. Have a great day!

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes