Issue with Samsung Intensity 2 and VZW Tones
jim908

I purchased and activated a used purple Samsung Intensity 2 for my daughter and activated it with no issues untill I tried to use VZW Tones. When I chose that option, it said an upgrade was available. I press ok and I get the message:" THIS APP IS ALREADY INSTALLED. INSERT THECARD USED TO DOWNLOAD THIS APP TO UPGRADEOR EXTEND ITS LICENCE." I've called Verizon 3 different times with no answers, and 2 different stores with nothing but confused looks. I ended up purchasing a brand new sealed in the box purple intensity 2 from a store in Chicago, (I live in NY), activated that one went to VZW Tones and... the same thing happens! Is there anyone out there who knows how to correct this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Issue with Samsung Intensity 2 and VZW Tones
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have data turned off on the Intensity II, it won't be able to update OTA.  Alternates to using data on the phone to purchase through VZW tones:

1) Use a MyVerizon account online on a computer to access VZW Tones.  Create an account for the phone number of the Intensity II and use that to purchase and have the tones sent directly to the phone.  Your "master" account, although you can see info on all lines on a family plan, will not work for purchasing options for the other lines - each line needs to be registered, will have access to only info that line, and purchases made will apply to that line only.

2) Use a third party service like phonezoo or myxer (both free) to get tons of free ringtones and wallpapers.

0 Likes
jim908

How can I tell if the data is turned off and how does one go about turning the data on if it is off?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a data plan? ($10 for 75 Mb is the one you probably want).  Do you get charged a $1.99 data fee for each Mb you use?  You can log on to your account (As owner) and view all the phones, features, and options for each line; check what is enabled on the Intensity II number.  Then uncheck the block for data downloads, if you want to do this over the air.

Simpler (and cheaper) in my mind is to use phonezoo.

0 Likes
jim908

I got this phone for my 10 year old daughter who just started softball after school. I wanted her to have a phone for emergencies but didn't want to add her to a plan untill she showed she'd be responsible it so I activated it as a prepaid phone. So, this phone has whatever data plan the $1.99 per day prepaid plan has. I logged onto the account set up for the phone and there was no data option. I don't think the data plan is the problem. the VZW Tones app is pre-installed on the phone and should work.  I originally bought a used purple phone and the VZW Tones showed the message I first mentioned. After calling Verizon and going to Verizon stores with no luck, I assumed it not repairable so I started looking for a new purple phone. In the meantime I bought a metallic blue one, went online, switched devices, and the VZW Tones worked fine with the blue one. I finally found a new purple one and when I switched devices from the blue to the new purple one, went to VZW Tones, and I get the same message as the first purple one. So what is wrong with the purple Intensity 2 phones?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jim908 wrote:

... I don't think the data plan is the problem. the VZW Tones app is pre-installed on the phone and should work.  I originally bought a used purple phone and the VZW Tones showed the message I first mentioned.... In the meantime I bought a metallic blue one, went online, switched devices, and the VZW Tones worked fine with the blue one. I finally found a new purple one and when I switched devices from the blue to the new purple one, went to VZW Tones, and I get the same message as the first purple one. So what is wrong with the purple Intensity 2 phones?

It does sound as if the purple Intensity models have a problem, though at this point I don't know why it would work on the blue, not on the purple.  Can you check the hardware and software versions of the two (three?) phones to see how they compare?  (Go to Menu >>  Settings&Tools >> Phone Info >> SW/HW version)  If they are different, then my next step would be to take the two differing versions to see if a tech at a store can get the same version (the one with VZW Tones that works) on all the phones.

0 Likes
jim908

The hardware and software versions are the exact same on all three phones, the only things that are different are the ESN and MEID numbers.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ESN ans MEID should be different, those identify the specific phone.  If the HW/SW versions are identical, then I don't know why the color should make a difference in how the phones behave.  I'm not sure what else to tell you - there does seem to be an issue with two of the phones, since the blue one does what you expect.  At least you have one that works?

0 Likes
jim908

That would be fine, however, my daughter wanted a purple phone, and all I wanted was to give her a purple phone that works and functions properly (like the blue one does). I have 2 purple phones and neither of them work... After 2 seperate calls to Verizon customer service, a call to Samsung (who said the issue was with Verizon), then 2 more calls to Verizon customer service, and 2 seperate visits to 2 different Verizon stores in between calls... then a last ditch attempt here, all resulting in no explanation why 2 out of 3 phones won't function properly and no answer how to get either purple phone to work... I'm seeing an example of a 66% failure in Verizon products and a 100% failure in Verizon customer service... that dosen't exactly instill customer confidence. Do you know if there is some way I could have the purple phones sent back to Verizon and have them reset or have the software reinstalled to get them to work properly? All I want to do is give my daughter the phone she wants.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the phone(s) are still under warranty, then they can(and should) be replaced, but it will likely be with a "refurbished" device.  And I am not all that familiar with how a warranty replacement is processed with a pre-paid account.  Have you tried pre-paid customer service? 888-294-6804.  Though I've been told you don't get options to speak with a rep on that number... keep selecting "other options" and say "Speak to an agent" when given the opportunity.

@Minnehaha is quite familiar with the pre-paid side of Verizon Wireless - perhaps post this dilemma on the pre-paid forum to see if you get more suggestions?  I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

0 Likes