If I buy a basic phone (from Walmart, Amazon, etc but NOT through Verizon), can I still add it to my plan and do it for a cheap price?
Rebecca00

I have an iPhone 6 that is under a Verizon plan, but I just feel like technology is taking away from the beauty of the world around me, so I would like to add a basic phone. I am so sick of my iPhone, but I don't know if I am ready to get rid of it entirely. I want to add a basic phone, see if I like it, and then possibly get rid of my iPhone altogether.

The thing is, the basic phones that are sold through Verizon are very expensive- I just want a 10-20 dollar phone that receives calls and maybe texts- I don't want a 50-100 dollar phone.

Anyways! Am I allowed to buy a basic phone through another company (besides Verizon- maybe Amazon or Walmart), and still add the phone to my plan for a cheap cost?

Thank you so much! Have a wonderful rest of your day! Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: If I buy a basic phone (from Walmart, Amazon, etc but NOT through Verizon), can I still add it to my plan and do it for a cheap price?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rebecca00, thank you for reaching out through the community forums for assistance. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have concerning a non-Verizon Wireless device. We cannot guarantee that a device that is not sold through Verizon Wireless will function properly on our network. This would deal specifically with issues that can occur on the wireless technology end. If you are able to obtain the Device ID prior to purchasing the device, we do have a page that can check for eligibility of the device being connected to our network. You can check out the page here: http://vz.to/1naWX80.

HarleyE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: If I buy a basic phone (from Walmart, Amazon, etc but NOT through Verizon), can I still add it to my plan and do it for a cheap price?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The basic phones you are talking about are most likely pre-paid devices, and so must be used on a pre-paid service for 6 months before being used on a post-paid account.

Maybe you can find a good basic phone through Swappa.com, eBay, or borrow/buy from a friend?

0 Likes
DianeMN

AT Walmart, they sell the same phones but for less.

Just make sure its the same exact phone Verizon sells.  Then you can activate it on the verizon online.

0 Likes