How do I reset (not change) the voicemail greeting?
vzwirelessuser123

Exactly as it says on the tin. I want to effectively delete my custom voice mail greeting and have it reset to the default system one. The one that says "Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice-messaging system. (123) 555-1234 is not available." I tried doing this before and all I could do was record a new one, so I recorded dead air. Is there a way to do this through the settings menu or My Verizon, or do I have to go to the store and have a tech do this?

I looked at the Voice Mail FAQs page, and all it says is something about "Visual Voice Mail":

What happens when I change from Visual Voice Mail to Basic Voice Mail?

When changing from Visual Voice Mail to Basic, all existing messages will be transferred. Your standard greetings will be saved but you will lose custom greetings.

I don't even know what Visual Voice Mail is, or how I would know if I have it or not. I just want to reset the custom greeting but don't know how to do so in the settings menu. I press *86 to go to voice mail, press 2 for personal options, then 4 to record a new voice greeting. Nowhere in the voice greeting menu does it say "to reset your greeting to default, press ___." I don't want to record a new one. I want to get rid of the new one and go back to the factory default. (If you must know why, It's because I hate how my voice sounds on the phone and prefer the computer greeting. I'm not going to ask someone to record a greeting for me either.)

Phone is an LG enV Touch from ca. 2007 (?) or so. It's a non-data plan. Nobody in our family uses smartphones, so no point in using "apps for that." I don't think it's a phone-specific issue either, but a system-wide one, as I had recorded the greeting on another phone I had back in ~2004-5, and it carried through to the "new" one (well, the one I got afterwards, the enV Touch -- I know seven years old isn't exactly "new"). Again, I don't want to change the greeting, per se (as in record a new custom message). I just want to delete the custom one (the dead air, basically) and revert to the default computer message as above.

Can I do this, and if so, how?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I reset (not change) the voicemail greeting?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

From Personal Options, press 3 for Greetings, then press 1 for personal greeting, then press 1 for standard greeting with phone number.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

From Personal Options, press 3 for Greetings, then press 1 for personal greeting, then press 1 for standard greeting with phone number.

vzwirelessuser123

tikibar1 wrote:

It worked! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
swayn3
Enthusiast - Level 1

From Personal Options, if I press 3, i only get an option for personal  greeting. There is no option for "press 1 for personal greeting or  standard greeting. If I press 1 before the beep nothing happens, and if I  press it after the beep, the automated system says "you have pressed an  incorrect key".

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to confirm ... you call Voice Mail, enter your password, and 'the voice' gives you options ... you press:

4 for Personal Options, then press

3 for Greetings, then press

1 for Personal Greeting, then press

1 for Standard Greeting with phone number

That's not working for you?

swayn3
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Device is an iPhone 4s so I do have VVM (wouldn't think that should matter though). My choices after 4 for Personal Options are:

Change password press 1

Personal greeting press 3 (only options in here is to re-record with*, press # if satisfied, or replay greeting with 1)

Change the language press 5

To exit press *

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, having an iPhone does make a difference. My instructions are for Verizon's basic voice mail, they don't apply to visual voice mail or voice mail for iPhones.

0 Likes
leeway77
Enthusiast - Level 1

the best answer, thanks, bro. works like a charm. so many scammers,  they do not have to hear my name. Standard Greeting with phone number is a good choice.

0 Likes