Convoy 2 Mobile email locks up phone every time, how to fix?
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

I like this phone, have been using the Mobile email app for a couple months.  A couple days ago, however, when I tried to go into Mobile email, the phone freezes for several minutes, then reboots. I've tried this from the main screen using a Direction Key shortcut, and from the Apps menu.  The properties in the Apps menu show it to be version:

7.60(23.9.43.9606)...

Also, when I start it from the Apps menu, it says "An upgrade of Mobile E-mail is available. Would you like to view details?" If I say no, the phone locks up and eventually reboots. If I say yes, it reboots immediately.

I've been reading about a number of lock-up issues with recent software update. In case this is related, current phone software shows:

S/W V. U660.EH01

PRL V. 52707

ERI V. 5

Opera Mini 5.0

v. 3.1.5

MSUI V.25.0

In their infinite wisdom, VZW made this app un-delete-able, so I can't try to uninstall/reinstall. What options do I have? I'm sure there's a 'master reset' suggestion coming, would that delete apps or the app data? I'd rather not go through that annoyance unless you can confirm it will do one of those two things.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Convoy 2 Mobile email locks up phone every time, how to fix?
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the issue with the phone has escalated a bit since making the initial post. It's been resolved through a VZW store, but I'll post here for the record.

Figuring the problem could have been something corrupt with the email data, and based on other suggestions elsewhere, I did the Restore Phone option (as opposed to Reset Settings) after backing up all of my contacts and data. The thought was that this would clear out any problems, whether it was the data or the app itself. The phone would be restored to the condition in which I first received it from Verizon.

Unfortunately, after doing this, other problems popped up with the phone. It was unable to connect with anything involving 'data' access. After reset, and reboot, and being prompted to do the *228 activation, the first thing it asked me was to connect with Backup Assistant to restore/transfer contacts. Selecting the option to connect, I just got a big Green Box  on the screen with the words NOT SUPPORTED and a red exclamation point icon in the corner. I found that the same message would pop up if I tried the menu items for My Verizon, Media Center/Apps, Media Center/Mobile Web, Media Center/Search, etc. If I went to either the Mobile Email or VZ navigator items in the menu, I would get the Splash 'purchase/install me' screen, but nothing would happen if I pressed 'yes' or 'ok'.  Calling/texting/other phone functions worked.

Took the phone to my local VZW store. After an hour or so of the tech trying to figure out what was wrong, re-flashing the phone, calling tech support and trying several times and several ways to re-provision the phone, they decided it was hopeless and are sending me a refurb replacement that should arrive tomorrow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NRJank,

I can see how the situation you are experiencing can be concerning. I would love to assist in getting a resolution for you. A master reset is definitely an option that we like to keep on the table but it is a final step in the trouble shooting process.

Have you ever reset the phones default settings? If not follow these steps for the process:

Reset Settings
From the main screen, press Menu
Scroll to Settings & Tools, press OK
Scroll to Phone Settings, press OK
Scroll to Security, press OK
Enter Lock Code ???? displays, enter the 4 digit lock code (default: last 4 digits of phone number).
Scroll to Reset Settings, press OK
Display shows: Reset to default settings? Resetting will not delete user data.
Select Yes or No, press OK
Once this step is completed please try to retest. I am certain that this will resolve your issue. Can you please keep me posted on the status? I hope this helps. Thanks.

SammuelP_VZW
VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the issue with the phone has escalated a bit since making the initial post. It's been resolved through a VZW store, but I'll post here for the record.

Figuring the problem could have been something corrupt with the email data, and based on other suggestions elsewhere, I did the Restore Phone option (as opposed to Reset Settings) after backing up all of my contacts and data. The thought was that this would clear out any problems, whether it was the data or the app itself. The phone would be restored to the condition in which I first received it from Verizon.

Unfortunately, after doing this, other problems popped up with the phone. It was unable to connect with anything involving 'data' access. After reset, and reboot, and being prompted to do the *228 activation, the first thing it asked me was to connect with Backup Assistant to restore/transfer contacts. Selecting the option to connect, I just got a big Green Box  on the screen with the words NOT SUPPORTED and a red exclamation point icon in the corner. I found that the same message would pop up if I tried the menu items for My Verizon, Media Center/Apps, Media Center/Mobile Web, Media Center/Search, etc. If I went to either the Mobile Email or VZ navigator items in the menu, I would get the Splash 'purchase/install me' screen, but nothing would happen if I pressed 'yes' or 'ok'.  Calling/texting/other phone functions worked.

Took the phone to my local VZW store. After an hour or so of the tech trying to figure out what was wrong, re-flashing the phone, calling tech support and trying several times and several ways to re-provision the phone, they decided it was hopeless and are sending me a refurb replacement that should arrive tomorrow.

0 Likes