Re: Company employee discount discontinued for a retiree
PearlieGirlie

Very similar situation for my husband and me.   I think Verizon has ice water in its veins.  We served close to 50 years combined working for a large city's police department and receiving the Verizon employee discount for several of those years.  Now in the golden years of our lives, Verizon cuts off our discount because we are retired and civilians.  We are pensioners and cannot afford to be charged more for services.  We are seniors, both over 65, card-carrying AARP members, for crying out loud!!  Even Denny's gives us a discount.  How cold, how disrespectful, uncaring and callous can you be, Verizon??  Would you do this to your grandparents?? Well, your are, and shame on you!  As soon as we can afford to end our contract, we are gone, and I am telling everyone I know about this, hoping they will follow me to a cellular company with a pulse and a heart!   :-((

0 Likes
Not applicable

http://www.consumercellular.com is the exclusive provider for AARP members, ranked number one is customer satisfaction. Connie & Jack commercials say your plan can be as cheap as $10-$15 a month. Can change your plan at anytime. Check them out.

Good Luck

Message was edited by: Elector

0 Likes
Ktlove

Nothing says verizon CAN'T continue the discount either. If they really appreciated customer loyalty then they could easily offer to continue the discount for retired employees.  We'll over 20 years with VZW and no hint of customer appreciation. How about sorry we can't continue your 19% discount but we WOULD LIKE TO OFFER perhaps a 10 % retiree discount etc.

Verizon you are making many disgruntled customers.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ktlove wrote:

Nothing says verizon CAN'T continue the discount either. If they really appreciated customer loyalty then they could easily offer to continue the discount for retired employees.  We'll over 20 years with VZW and no hint of customer appreciation. How about sorry we can't continue your 19% discount but we WOULD LIKE TO OFFER perhaps a 10 % retiree discount etc.

Verizon you are making many disgruntled customers.

The agreement with the company and Verizon Wireless says who is eligible for the discount. If the agreement doesn't cover retired employees then they are not eligible for the discount. Take it up with your former company.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ktlove

Thanks. T Mobile is starting to look better all the time. NY state contract with Verizon for discount won't be renewed for a while. Retires need a discount. Why can't Verizon offer those who HAD a discount SOMETHING to ease the pain and reward longtime VZW customers for loyalty.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I can't believe that this dead horse is still being beat. If there's an issue with paying the price why not cut back or switch to a lower cost provider? Given this was sent from your iPad....I can't believe you're hurting that much.....

Not applicable

It makes no difference if the poster is hurting or not. So he uses an iPad. Maybe first generation maybe a new one but that does not make the post any more non credible.

Depending on the grade level of the NYS Retiree his/her retirement can take a $50,000.00 a year salary and reduce it to $25,000.00 for the rest of their life. So the discount that we received when we worked was great, but even greater when its on half money.

So instead of pounding this person should we not show some understanding? For the record the contract with NYS states a 19% discount but it does not spell out Current or Retired employees. It is generated towards the agencies use of cellular.

I would be surprised that even retired there are other organizations such as AARP or even Triple A that may be on the list. Maybe the Masons, Elks, Moose and others that offer the service discounts.

Good Luck

0 Likes
ralphr

I got the retiree discount after I retired from IBM over 5 years ago. Several months ago I upgraded my plan with a total of four of us to smart phones.  All of us have over a year left on the contract. Then I found out in December that I lost the retiree discount. The answer I was given was that it is not our decision (Verizon),  it is the employers decision. I have no problem with that except the the right thing to do is for Verizon to grandfather retirees until the the contracts are over. It almost feels as a bait and switch and legally I think Verizon is on firm legal ground, but not ethically.    Looking for a provider who will do the right thing!

0 Likes
Not applicable

ralphr wrote:

I got the retiree discount after I retired from IBM over 5 years ago. Several months ago I upgraded my plan with a total of four of us to smart phones.  All of us have over a year left on the contract. Then I found out in December that I lost the retiree discount. The answer I was given was that it is not our decision (Verizon),  it is the employers decision. I have no problem with that except the the right thing to do is for Verizon to grandfather retirees until the the contracts are over. It almost feels as a bait and switch and legally I think Verizon is on firm legal ground, but not ethically.    Looking for a provider who will do the right thing!

No provider will give you a discount your former employer doesn't feel you're entitled to. Once again this is on your former employer. If your former employer no longer has deal with Verizon, Verizon is no way responsible legally or morally to give you a discount. You do realize that if you say got a 15% discount your EMPLOYER paid for that not Verizon. So if your employer is no longer paying for that you somehow expect Verizon to eat that money?

0 Likes
ralphr

The issue is not stopping the retirement discount, it is doing it in the

middle of a contract without appropriate notice or any consideration. . .

0 Likes