Re: Company employee discount discontinued for a retiree
lre862
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also am retired Fed, thinking how cheap and low can Verizon go?  My husband has dropped verizon, and I will be following as soon as my contract is up.  Hope it is worth them losing $100 a month for a $8 discount!. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

They don't care.

Until there are mass defections from their service they know they have you.

That $96 you saved a year now makes more profit for Verizon Wireless. Multiply that 250,000 times over and the profits are astounding .

Feels good to vent.

0 Likes
lre862
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mass defections would feel even better!

phonie1234

I was told by whoever answers questions here for Verizon that a pay check is a pay check for validation.  I contacted opm and got a copy of annuity check and sent it in for verification that I was associated with usps through retirement check.  I was denied.  Does it or doesnt it state 'employed or affiliated with the company'?  Even though the check is from opm it is still a branch of the postal service!  I would call that verification.  I was not fired or quit.  I retired and still recieve a check.  Can someone explain this to me?  Nowhere does it state that retired postal employees do not qualify. It does state affiliated to the compamy does.

0 Likes
netnellie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is just eliminating discounts wherever possible, and retires are (always) the first targets. Verizon will only accept pay stubs for current employment, not proof of pension. Or a functioning employee email address.  Someone told me he called when his discount was discontinued and they gave him a loyalty discount instead. But now they have discontinued that also.  So when my contract is over, I'm leaving! Hope many others do too.

0 Likes
RPKP273

phonie1234 - I totally agree with you.  I worked for NASA for over 36 years.  I lost my Verizon discount a couple months ago.  I've called customer service 3 X - no luck.  Each time, I questioned why would I get a discount while I'm working, and making more money, than when I am retired - and could really use the discount.  I was given the 'Verizon canned response . .  we were losing so much money from people who no longer worked with a company who offered the discount."

I said that I can appreciate this, if - someone left that company and went to work elsewhere.  But I don't understand why, if I simply retired, I was now being denied the discount.  Still no relief, except that they said they were losing "too much money" by offering the discount to people who were 'no longer employed'. 

Well, here's my note to them:  Once my daughter's phone contract expires next year, I will be leaving Verizon for good.  I've been with them for nearly 15 years, and at one point, had 3 lines on my account.

All they had to do was continue to give me that discount - now they're going to lose so much more money.  Because of pure greed on the part of the upper management.  Touche.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

People work for a company and get a pension and feel their former employer can do no wrong. Truth of the matter is that when a discount is offered their are stipulations...this amount for so many lines etc. Companies can choose how many lines they will maintain and whether or not they will include retirees. Its up to the company to maintain their part of the deal. And if employees who retired arent included it is what it is. What would you rather lose your precious discount or part of your pension? You decide.

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

sspradling

I am retired from USPS.  I have had a discount with Verizon for 2 years as a government retiree.  They now decide I do not qualify.  What about the previous 22 months with 3 lines at $200 a month?  Oh yes, the end is near and I can't wait to leave.  BIG BUSINESS GREED!

No customer service or customer appreciation!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That means you got the benefit of getting a discount for which you didn't qualify for 22 months!Smiley Happy

You were receiving a discount because you were an employee of the USPS which you continued to receive after retirement even though you no longer qualified. That is a bonus!Smiley Happy

Verizon has recently started making sure people STILL qualify for the discounts they receive. I can understand why they would do so. Simply because you ONCE worked for a company does not mean you will work for that company in perpetuity.

sspradling

Typical of Verizon to change the rules as they go!  I was retired when I originally got the discount.  Gave them the same documentation 22 months ago that I recently submitted that is now considered invalid. There is no justification for removing this discount with only 2 months left on the contract.

0 Likes