Calls going straight to voicemail -- Help!
globist
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has happened occasionally in the past, and I'd written it off as just a glitch. But over the past few days I've missed several important calls because they went straight to my voicemail without the phone ever ringing, and in some cases I haven't even heard the voicemail alert-tone because it's so short and easy to miss in a noisy environment. The problem seems intermittent and mostly non-specific as to callers -- except that today my sister tried to call me three times from her landline (which I believe is AT&T) and went straight to voicemail each time, but when she called from her Verizon cellphone instead it rang normally and showed her caller ID as usual. So is there something going on that relates to specific sources of calls, or is this a general system issue? And is there a solution? Obviously, I can't continue to miss critical calls this way...

Many thanks in advance to anyone who may respond, especially any Verizon Techs -- please just don't just tell me I'm the only one having this problem and that it must be caused by some improper settings on my own phone (which is a very basic LG Revere model). I haven't changed any settings on it (it doesn't have many anyway), and I've recently updated my roaming software so that shouldn't be an issue either although I'll try again if anyone thinks it might help. The real point is that it's clear a LOT of people have been having this same problem, since I've found at least one long thread on the subject in the forums here and tons of other online postings as well. I'm certainly willing to try any fixes from my end that might be suggested, but the problem seems so widespread that Verizon itself really needs to address the issue from ITS end as soon as possible.

The Verizon forum I found on the topic is at: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/780588 -- I've just chosen to start a new discussion here rather than adding to those posts, to avoid having my question buried at the bottom and also because many of the other complainers seem to have smart phones whereas mine is one of the most basic versions around.

Thanks again, for any help anyone can offer...

Labels (1)
Re: Calls going straight to voicemail -- Help!
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

try dialing *73 and Send. then listen for the beep and it should end the call and try again

0 Likes
tyladybug

I've been dealing with the same problem for almost 2 months.  I called Verizon last week; was optimistic because I was given a trouble number and contact information from a tech.  Haven't heard anything back and am still having the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi globist,

Your efforts are greatly appreciated, let's look into this because I know your calls are important! What is your current zip code? Does the issue only occur when are at home? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
phatrydr
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're not alone with this issue !!! I've been dealing with this for 3 weeks now. I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. Out of frustration I even went out and purchased a new Iphone 5. That was a waste of money !! On June 13th a ticket was finally generated. Yesterday a technician called me, of course it went straight to voicemail, and his message stated that they possibly found out what the problem was. I called back verizon and spoke to an "advanced" technician. He informed me that it's possibly an area coverage issue. Are you kidding me ???? First of all about 50 of my coworkers are on the verizon network and this is only happening to my calls going straight to voicemail. Secondly, when the first technician called and it went straight to voicemail my cell phone showed full signal strength LTE and standing 100 feet from a cell tower !!!! My other isuue with my service is my cell phone number shows up blocked when I make calls. The technician did see that I have no block on my number yet he had no answer to the problem. I use my phone both for work and in case my children need to contact me for an emergency. I'm to the point where it's in my best interest to just switch carriers !!! 

0 Likes
globist
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay -- some positive news to report on my own problem, not sure if it will help anyone else having the same issues.

After REPEATEDLY updating my roaming software (dialing *228 and then selecting option #2 from the voice prompts) -- and I mean doing it three or four times in a row --the one number that I'm actually able to test (by asking the person to call me) is now ringing my phone correctly rather than going direct to voicemail. Unfortunately I can't test any of the other numbers that have gone straight to voicemail, because they've been automatically-generated recorded messages (like important medical alerts!) and there's no way for me to personally activate more calls from those sources. But so far, at least, I haven't had any more calls skip to voicemail so I'm hoping the basic problem has actually been resolved.

As I said, I don't know if this will help others -- but it might at least be worth trying, if you're not getting anywhere with other ideas. So, GOOD LUCK!...

And to answer your specific questions, "Ayani_B" -- in case the info will help with troubleshooting: My zip code is 91601 (area code 818), and this problem had occurred while I was in more than one location (both at home, and in zip code 91604). In the specific example I gave involving my sister, she's in zip code 90232 (area code 310) -- and she called me both ways, via landline and cellphone, from her home there. The calls from her cell worked fine, while the ones from the landline (maybe being sent through another tower?) were going straight to voicemail until I did the repeated roaming-updates. The automated calls that were going to voicemail were from area code 818, and probably from zip code 91402 (I can't be sure of that, but that's the location of the medical facility originating the calls)

Thanks again for all the input, and I hope everybody else has luck resolving their own variations of this problem...

0 Likes
phatrydr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm glad updating your roaming software worked for you. Unfortunately for me I have the IPhone 5 4G device which does not utilize the *228 option..

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Updating the roaming software on 4G phones is accomplished through the SIM card and should be done automatically.  Try turning the phone off, waiting a few minutes, then turning back on and it may update the PRL if an update is needed.  Another option is to turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, wait a few minutes, then reinsert the SIM card, turn the phone back on, and let the phone establish a fresh network connection.

B33
Legend

+1  My only suggestion to add to this if you pull the Sim Card Handle it with the up-most Care as these Cards are sensitive in the gold area of the card to Static Electricity & Oils in our fingers..  

0 Likes
phatrydr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have positive news also!!!  Yesterday I spoke to a level 2 tech (Carlos) and explained my issues. What he had me do 1st was go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. Next I powered off my phone, removed the SIM card, wait a few minutes, then reinsert the SIM card, power the phone back on (Exactly what tikibar1 said). During this time the tech was going to refresh and restore everything on Verizon's end. I'm happy to say that I have not missed one call and my number is no longer blocked.

After spending hours on the phone with tech support people I finally found one that had the solution to my issues. I'm sure there are lots of others out there with this problem. Read this and give it a try with tech suppoprt. It may be the solution to your phone issues.  Thank you to those who gave me advice !!!