Re: Basic phone that will work after 12/2019
LoveMyQwerty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today is 4/17/19. A sales rep a Verizion told me that my old samsung slide would still work afer 12/31/19 because I am a pre paid customer. I have a prepaid senior plan with no data, unlimited txt & calls for $30.00.   Is my service in danger of being discontinued?I am so happy that I don't have to search for a new provider. I like Verizion.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Verizon is phasing out the older network throughout this year and embracing the newer available networks such as 4G and 5G. If you have a device that is not able to access 4G services, it will not be able to be activated. Also, there is a high probability that non 4G devices will be phased out by the end of the year. MarcusS_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@LoveMyQwerty wrote:

Today is 4/17/19. A sales rep a Verizion told me that my old samsung slide would still work afer 12/31/19 because I am a pre paid customer. I have a prepaid senior plan with no data, unlimited txt & calls for $30.00.   Is my service in danger of being discontinued?I am so happy that I don't have to search for a new provider. I like Verizion.

Prepaid is still Verizon and will still be 4G LTE at the end of the year.   Your old slider is not VoLTE capable and will not work at the end on the year.  You will have to choose a flip phone to keep your basic, no data plan. 

0 Likes
LoveMyQwerty
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you are saying that the verizion representative that I spoke to was misinformed (or not updated)? Should I assume you are more knowledgeable and that I should start trying to find a provider that will support my phone come December?( I just purchased an unused phone that shoud last at least 2 years.)

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@LoveMyQwerty wrote:

Are you are saying that the verizion representative that I spoke to was misinformed (or not updated)? Should I assume you are more knowledgeable and that I should start trying to find a provider that will support my phone come December?( I just purchased an unused phone that shoud last at least 2 years.)

I’m saying that Verizon has well published ahead that they are shutting down CDMA service.  All Verizon, there is no difference between pre and post paid.    Your phone is cdma only.  When CDMA is shut down your phone will not work.    It is also unlikely to work on another network.  

Wait until Verizon notifies you your phone won’t work.  They may make you an offer to replace it.  

0 Likes
bewilder
Contributor - Level 1

I'm with ya vkjk.  I expect to leave Verizon in December, or whenever my current Gusto 3 quits, whichever comes sooner.  Its not like I've received fabulous service all these years, its always a major pain to get help. But it used to work, and now it won't.  I've been with Verizon for 13 years. I don't want to change but I've tried the Cadence and its a piece of junk that is bigger and less fucntional. Gee, who wouldn't want that?

I want a compact basic flip phone no bigger than what I have now, and it doesn't exist with Verizon, or won't work after December

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@bewilder wrote:

I'm with ya vkjk.  I expect to leave Verizon in December, or whenever my current Gusto 3 quits, whichever comes sooner.  Its not like I've received fabulous service all these years, its always a major pain to get help. But it used to work, and now it won't.  I've been with Verizon for 13 years. I don't want to change but I've tried the Cadence and its a piece of junk that is bigger and less fucntional. Gee, who wouldn't want that?

I want a compact basic flip phone no bigger than what I have now, and it doesn't exist with Verizon, or won't work after December

Not true!   Verizon still has basic flip phones that are LTE.  All of these phones WILL work in 2020.   Please see them here:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/   

The Kyocera is a good phone.   You spend $40, yeah , you get junk

What is not available is a qwerty keyboard basic phone.  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@bewilder 

I was writing of the Dura xv.  Those are good.  The one at half that price is junk

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would not want you to leave us, and feel you deserve the nation's best network. We will have LTE basic phones availble, suckh as the LG Exalt LTE. Keep your eye on our webpage, http://spr.ly/6607EeA9Z, to see what other devices may become availble.

CraigS_VZW

0 Likes
bewilder
Contributor - Level 1

The Dura is larger in every dimension, and weighs a whopping 60% more than the Gusto.  

I paid $12 for my Gusto brand new. 

the Exalt is also over 4" long...

We are going backwards now, from smaller and smaller to bigger and bigger.

0 Likes