Re: Anyone else furious about the $30 upgrade charge?
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

So....why then you are there

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

Based on your logic….

If someone steals does this means that every other individual has to steal?

0 Likes
kurthaver
Enthusiast - Level 2

Old news for you, perhaps.

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

Agree. It was not old news for me when I had to pay the $30.00 three weeks ago, and VZW customer service rep did not know what kind of “upgrades” I will get for this money.

0 Likes
guitarslinger55
Enthusiast - Level 3

what you need to keep in mind is that the USA is unique in the fact that the cell carriers here even subsidize handsets at all. they dont in europe or asia. even with you paying the $30 upgrade fee (which is nothing at all new) youre still getting a HUGE price break on the phone.

personally, i would rather pay a $30 upgrade fee and get a phone for around half price than pay $800 for a phone. maybe im just crazy...

and as far as you mentioning canceling your lines...every company does this.  AT&T's is $30, i believe Sprint's is $30 and Tmobile's is currently $18 soon to be $30. its industry standard for subsidized handsets.

0 Likes
Not applicable

D R wrote:

Based on your logic….

If someone steals does this means that every other individual has to steal?

Well I guess using YOUR logic Verizon should stop going along with the pack and stop offering discounted upgrades PERIOD. Since Verizon shouldn't be doing what everyone is according to you. Then you wouldn't have to worry about upgrade fees.

Not applicable

Old news for EVERYONE since it was major news story on April 11th. That's 4 months ago. Or 122 days ago if you like.

Oh good luck switching carriers because you'll run into the same issues 2 years from now when you want to upgrade again. Except at&t and Sprint charge more. Are you going to switch to another carrier then "out of principal"? Also don't forget to factor in your $35 activation fee if you switch to At&t or Sprint. Which last time I checked is $5 more than what Verizon's upgrade fee is.

So basically you are going to cancell your contracts and pay a huge ETF fee then switch to a carrier that will charge you can activation fee that's higher than they upgrade fee from Verizon then in 2 years have to pay an even higher upgrade fee from that company? Sounds like a solid plan.

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

NOT OLD news for EVERYONE.

Try to understand that something, which is no longer NEW news for you, could be ‘the news’ for others.

Despite the fact that it was announced in April 2012 (I have not heard about it), the $30.00 upgrade is NOT the old news for many VZW customers and will still be ‘the news’ for about next 20 months. Or about approx 608 days if you like.

In April 2012 I was not upgrading my phone and I was not signing any contract with the VZW. The last time I signed a contract with VZW in 2008. The 2-years contract expired in 2010. I was 2+ years without a contract. I was using the phone and paying the bills.

There was no reason for me to check if any additional charges will appear on future-oriented contract. I also wasn’t a member of this forum. In July 2012 my 4-years old phone started to malfunction. So, in my situation the $30.00 “upgrade” fee became ‘the news’ at the end of July. I think that most customers, like myself, are not studying future contracts and fees when they are in the existing contract.

Be prepared for it that this $30.00 issue will come back every time VZW customer, who had signed a contract prior to April 2012, will go for an upgrade. It will take about 20 months before it disappears from this forum.

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

What do I care what they do in Europe or Asia. We discuss and compare prices, and the cell carriers in the US.

Personally, I’m glad that we are not like Europe or Asia.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

guitarslinger55 wrote:

what you need to keep in mind is that the USA is unique in the fact that the cell carriers here even subsidize handsets at all. they dont in europe or asia. even with you paying the $30 upgrade fee (which is nothing at all new) youre still getting a HUGE price break on the phone.

personally, i would rather pay a $30 upgrade fee and get a phone for around half price than pay $800 for a phone. maybe im just crazy...

and as far as you mentioning canceling your lines...every company does this.  AT&T's is $30, i believe Sprint's is $30 and Tmobile's is currently $18 soon to be $30. its industry standard for subsidized handsets.

Minor correction needed.  The upgrade fee at Sprint and AT&T is $36, not $30.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes