Re: Anyone else furious about the $30 upgrade charge?
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

_Sandy51_ wrote:

Hi,  I am new to this. 
Get this one.  I am at the end of my contract and want to get a new phone.  It happens to be one of the free ones offered online.  I printed out the code so I can get the discount at the store.  

When I called the store they told me that the $30 and or $50 dollar fee is a rebate paid up front and I will receive it back in the mail.   My whole transaction was to be $30.00 plus tax with @30 coming back.    By the way...the cost of the new phone was @$349.00.

What do you think about that one???

Thid must be your first time upgrading?  When ever you upgrad in store you pay the full price then you have to send in for the rebate by mail so it comes out to the discounted price.    I have never heard of going into a store with codes, is that something new?    If you just log in to your account online and buy your phone that way you will pay the straight out discount price and not have to bother with the rebate.  We only got phones in store once and that was years ago the first time we signed up then after that I just go and order them online and they come in a timely manor and I activate them myself at home and I don't have the hassle of a rebate card.   Someone can explain it better than me but it's better to order your phones from verizon online and not have to deal with the rebate card or at least that works better for us.

0 Likes
Melinzar
Enthusiast - Level 2

When they told me about the fee I was so pissed I almost cancelled. The only reason I did not is because I needed a phone ASAP, I was working on a deadline and did not have time to drive clear across town to a competitors store. They are lucky they were not closer or else it would have been over for Verizon.

rcschnoor
Legend

That must have been one important deadline for you to sign a new 2yr contract you didn't want. It is a good thing you were eligible for an upgrade, or else you may have missed your deadline.

acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

I would have just bought a trac phone to tide me over and then decide what to do unless of course you have and need internet badly on a phone.  Mary

0 Likes
_Sandy51_

Mary, You asked about a code on a free phone. Log into your Verizon account and find the phone you were interested in.(In my case I chose the Breakout phone that was free on a 2 year contract. There is a box on the lower right side of the page that says to "print code". You can then take this code to a store (preferably a corporate store) and they will honor the offer there. You get it right away if in stock!

Sandy Ann Wilhide

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Oh so now they let you pay the online price in store and you don't have to deal with rebates anymore in store?  Mary

0 Likes
_Sandy51_

Again Mary....it all depends on the store you go to. Today, I went to pick up my phone and could not get it because my account just went one day past due...and I just gave them 200.00 on the 24th. They said to come back when its all paid. I hate phones (period). They just cause problems between families and people. I liked the simple life. You pick up when it rings and hang up when your done. End

Sandy Ann Wilhide

0 Likes
nlitend
Contributor - Level 1

First of all verizon wireless has only existed for 12 years, research that if you don't want to believe me.  Second, EVERY carrier has that fee and theirs is the cheapest, its really (edited post to comply with VZW ToS) going online on their site and complaining about it.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dada212

why is there a 30$ upgrade fee- even if ur due for an upgrade and discount on new device....they chare an add fee- what the... i think im strarting to get tired of verizon and there antics- tmobile is 40$ unlimited everything

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, will have to check the store I go too and see if they take the codes.  We have never been behind in our bill so wouldn't have a problem with that.  Since we dumbped the home phone a few years ago it's much esier to have just the one bill now.  Mary

0 Likes