why do my iphone5, ios 8.3, calls go straight to voicemail?
mira_nyc

have an iPhone 5, and just upgraded to the latest iOS, 8.3 iirc and now I have several issues with receiving phone calls:

My phone calls keep going straight to voicemail. I have tried -doing a soft reset, making sure that the do not disturb is off, dialing *73, and calls still go straight to voicemail.

Also, I keep showing up as a "restricted caller" when I dial others, even though I am in their contact list. I have double checked that I am not restricting my caller ID, and that I am not dialing *67 before my calls, etc.

I Just finished perfoming a factory reset of my phone, to no avail.

I'm hitting a block with Verizon... they keep making me check if my do not disturb is  on (obviously!!) and making me do soft resets.

Now they say I should replace my SIM card. Does anyone know if that will actually work or will the problem come up again? Has anyone had this issue and how was it resolved.

I must say I have been extremely frustrated with Verizon, but man, their customer service reps are super polite and genuinely try to help. I feel bad when I go all out angry on them.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: why do my iphone5, ios 8.3, calls go straight to voicemail?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

SIM card replacement would have been one of my top suggestions also. Do you notice that calls always go to Voice Mail or do you happen to have  alack of service when this happens?

0 Likes
mira_nyc

Thanks-

Nope, they  go straight to voicemail no matter where I am, and also in places where i've never had issues receiving a phone call. All calls go straight to voicemail. I've tried disabling LTE since I read elsewhere that that may help. But I'm concerned that replacing a SIM card will not really solve the issue. On several other forums, the posters said that they replaced their SIM and it solves the issue for a week or so, and then it's back to the usual.

Do SIM cards "go bad" after 2+ years? Will upgrading to a new iPhone work better (I'm due for an upgrade). the last thing I want to do is get a new number or change providers.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

SIM cards do go bad, they are how you are connecting to the network so if it's faulty you will experience issues with making and receiving calls, sending and receiving text messages and then calls going to voice mail. It's not a SURE fix, but the SIM card is free from a Verizon Corporate store.

0 Likes
mira_nyc

thanks for the insight.

All other functions on my phone (for now) are working well. I'm able to send texts, receive them.. all the data functions are fine (email, facebook etc.) I'm also able to make calls.

Just receiving them, and for some odd reason, I keep appearing as "restricted number" when I dial other people, even though I am in their contact lists and used to show up before. Will replacing a SIM correct this issue? Verizon already activated a "share my ID" feature, but I still show up as restricted number when I dial others.

Quite puzzled that this happened, but this is the first time I've not upgraded a phone every 2 years, so maybe I never realized this issue with other phones (blackberry, etc.)  because I always replaced the phone before the SIM went faulty.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's possible it could fix it because the SIM card is registered to your line and if you're the account owner, your name. Have you also tried disconnecting the device from your iTunes and adding it back? I'm not super apple savvy, but know you can do a few options with the phone plugged into the computer.

0 Likes