iphone 6s on 2 yr contract price - can I keep the loyalty plan and switch later?
lmwsport7

I am currently on the LOYALTY $60/2GB UNLIM T&T 1YR plan and my contract is up next week. I'm due for an phone upgrade and I'm looking to pre-order the iPhone 6s. I'm planning to upgrade using the contract price and keeping my current plan. Will I be able to switch to the 3GB Verizon plan down the road if 2GB on my current plan is not enough? I've been going through data like crazy with my current phone - I believe it's a phone issue and not a usage issue so I'm hoping it's fixed by getting a new phone. If not, I'll need to bump to a 3GB plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 6s on 2 yr contract price - can I keep the loyalty plan and switch later?
Weth
Legend

Everything you are saying is correct. You can upgrade on your current loyalty 2GB/$60 plan. If you decide you need 3 GB in the future, you can switch to the My Verizon 3 GB plan. Your cost would be $85 until your contract is completed, and then it would go down to $65. You would not be switched to a payment plan. Any future upgrade though would be on payment plan or full price and you could not go back to 2 year contract with device discount.

My only correction to your statements is I would not use the phrase buying outright when referring to buying a discounted/subsidized phone, since you still have a 2 year commitment. Outright would indicate you paid full retail and have no additional string attached to walking away and owning the phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: iphone 6s on 2 yr contract price - can I keep the loyalty plan and switch later?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi lmwsport7!

Getting a new phone is always exciting! Yes, you can make a plan change at anytime. However, with the Verizon plan if you have a contract versus a Device Payment Agreement the monthly line acess would be $40 versus $20. For Device Payment details visit:http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/device-payment-faqs/

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lmwsport7

If I change my plan, would would I lose my ability to upgrade my phone in the future at a subsidized/2-yr contract price?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If I'm reading this right, are you paying $60 for 2GB of data?

The new Verizon Plan is $60 for 6GB of data. Perhaps I am mistaken, but at first glance the Verizon Plan seems better than your loyalty plan. Though I don't know the details of your current plan.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

That is correct, once you change to the Verizon Plan you can't go back to a plan that is no longer offered. You'd then be on the device payment plan and if you wanted to upgrade or cancel your service,  you would simply pay off your device.

0 Likes
lmwsport7

I am paying $60 all in for my plan, which includes 2GB of data. The comparable VZW plan (the Medium plan) would be $65 for 3GB ($45 for data and $20 for line access).

0 Likes
lmwsport7

Based on the VZW reply above, I don't believe I'd be on a device payment plan as I would have already bought my phone "outright" but at a discounted/subsidized price. I'd pay off that discount via the higher line access fee of $40 (vs. $20). Can someone confirm a change to a new plan would not automatically put me on the device payment plan?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Coming from a Loyalty line myself in the past...if you use an upgrade to buy a subsidized phone you will be back on a new contract plus a $40 upgrade fee and will have to choose a new plan and your line access will be $40.

If you want to keep your plan, then you'll need to buy a phone at full price upfront.  To use the Device Payment Plan, you'll have to change plans.

So, to my knowledge, there is no way you can upgrade to a new phone at a subsidized cost and keep the Loyalty line.

You can change to the New Plan whenever you like, but your access charge will be $40 a month if you do, after contract $20, but because you pay no line access charge now, you have to keep that in mind as well.  Also, remember that you own NO DEVICE until paid in full or you complete your contract to the end.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Everything you are saying is correct. You can upgrade on your current loyalty 2GB/$60 plan. If you decide you need 3 GB in the future, you can switch to the My Verizon 3 GB plan. Your cost would be $85 until your contract is completed, and then it would go down to $65. You would not be switched to a payment plan. Any future upgrade though would be on payment plan or full price and you could not go back to 2 year contract with device discount.

My only correction to your statements is I would not use the phrase buying outright when referring to buying a discounted/subsidized phone, since you still have a 2 year commitment. Outright would indicate you paid full retail and have no additional string attached to walking away and owning the phone.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

My mother-in-law is on the $45 250 MB Loyalty plan. Just this past Saturday, I helped her get a new iPhone at contract discounted price and with 2 year contract, no plan change needed. There was no need to buy full price. They even offered device payment plan with the loyalty plan, which made no sense since you will still pay the same access fees.

0 Likes