Re: iPhone X Insurance - Asurion is a Rip-off
NoChoiceofService
Enthusiast - Level 2

I paid for this so called insurance for years, when I finally needed it, my phone was lost, I went through hours and hours of negotiations with Verizon and then Asurian and after three days they finally sent me a replacement phone, which wouldn't charge.  They quickly sent another phone which had a bad battery.  The third phone finally worked but was all scratched and had a substantial dent in the side.  Also the volume on this phone is far reduced from the previous phone but this is not covered by Asurion.  Verizon is the only service we have in northern New Mexico and they also know it.  The actual cell phone service is very poor after they remove the second cell tower in our location and having a used phone and I mean used makes me reconsider getting a land line again.

If you have a choice don't get the insurance, I coul dhave bought 3 phones for what I paid.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Asurion is the same carrier other cell carriers use.  They don’t answer to the carriers.  File a BBB complaint against Asurion because they sent you 3 defective phones.  

As for the cost, you would have paid one deductible for the reduced amount because of declining deductible.  (About $128]

0 Likes
Lovemyphone2

Couldn't agree with you more.  Here is what happened to me:

Screen broke, but otherwise the phone worked perfectly. Had them come replace the screen on a Wednesday and their technician broke the phone (keeps turning off and on and won't hold a charge). Called them back, was offered replacement refurbished phone. I declined and asked for repair. They scheduled for Monday to repair, but cancelled due to weather conditions. Rescheduled for Thursday and the technician never showed up. Called and was placed on hold numerous times (hour total) and told that, even though the repair was in their system and I had the email confirming it, somehow, their technician "didn't know." So, made new appointment for Sunday. Technician calls to tell us that he is running an hour behind, but he will be there and he does have a new SCREEN for us. My daughter explains that it isn't a screen replacement and he says he doesn't due advanced repairs. He calls his supervisor and the supervisor says that it is a common thing for this to break when screen is repaired and that a microchip and solderer will need to be used. Again, we call and reschedule. I explained everything to the agent telling her to be sure to note that it wasn't a screen repair and she assured me that she was writing it all down as we spoke. I wasn't sure if my daughter (it's her phone) would be available during the times that we set up for this coming Wednesday, but she told me to just call back or go online to adjust the times and days. Well, my daughter couldn't make it during those times, so I called Asurion back. I set up a new appointment for Saturday and asked the agent to tell me what repair was listed (so I could make sure that it was the right one). He told me it was for a screen repair!!!! I explained, again, the situation and he casually stated that Asurion doesn't do those types of repairs (even though the supervisor whom the tech spoke with said they did). He cancelled the appointment and transferred me to their warranty department. I then was told that my only option was to take a refurbished phone from them. So, they take my insurance money for over two years and the $29 repair cost that I had to pay upfront for the screen--all total over $200--and they break my phone. As a result, I am out the $200 and a $1000 IPhone. This company should be shut down.

0 Likes
jkurzman

It is worse than that.  When they replace screens, the worker told me that Asurion doesn't pay for the water resistance seal.  That's bad enough, but I just got a refurb replacement from them last month, and when it failed less than 15 days after I got it, they said that if its water damage, they won't cover it.  Even though the phone has a major feature of being water resistant (iphone X).  So their replacement phones are NOT equivalent features as the phone you give to them, and they put the responsibility on the customer to then no longer expect that feature to be in their phone, even though they dont tell you. (and of course its unreasonable to take your water resistant phone, not tell you or even if they do tell you, and then charge you if you have water damage because THEY didn't fix the refurb properly).  In the midst of this now with them.  Hopefully its not water damage, but it did fail while walking in the rain, which should NOT break an Iphone X that is new or refurbed by Asurion properly.

0 Likes
pw723

Update/recent experience for anyone reading this. Just got my FRONT screen replaced for a $29 deductible through Asurion. The tech came to my house at my time/date of choice and had it repaired within a half hour. Their was an option to replace for $200 but the phone is still in very good shape. The claim process was unbelievably simple and quick. Perhaps they changed their SOP because it is kind of a rip off to offer only full replacement. Hope this helps someone trying to make a choice. FYI it was an iPhone 11 Pro Max not the 10. 

0 Likes
Micahjami
Enthusiast - Level 2

YEA EXACTLY!! But they don’t tell you that when you get the insurance and pay for it for months or years 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Micahjami, 

I can understand that insurance is a difficult concept to follow. I say the same thing every month paying my phone bill and even my car insurance. It can come in handy. I have had to use it to replace a $1200 phone and only paid the deductible. You can check out all the coverage options at www.phoneclaim.com for more.

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
thegoffs16

I pay for Apple Care now because I just upgraded via the Apple Store rather than Verizon. But Asurion did fix my  iPhoneX screen for $29 without any issues. So I'm not sure if yours was just so bad they couldn't replace it or what. 

Every claim is different but I did have my iPhoneX screen replaced a year ago and just upgraded because my wifi antenna went out 2 weeks ago. 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes