Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,940 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
iPhone 8 purchased from Verizon. It is locked for other carriers.
RGSCEW

So, I live in Vietnam. I bought iPhone 8 from Boston downtown store in Mar 18. Was told unequivocally by Verizon staff "definitely unlocked" Took it home to vietnam, could not activate it because it was locked.

was in the US this past week.

note: apple says "you must get carrier to unlock".

took it to Verizon store - apart from being rude and obnoxious, and advising me that Verizon policy was all phones unlocked, they then checked it. They agreed it was locked.  "Take it to Apple".

got hold of Verizon service contact. He was very helpful. The iphones were locked to stop thefts. Take it to a Verizon store. They will activate it on a Verizon sim etc etc. it will be fixed.

it wasn't.

"wait 24 hours for it to register"

i waited. Still no good. I'm now back in Vietnam with a useless phone because Verizon staff and their Policy either lie, or are incompetent or both.

im frustrated.

can anyone advise me how to make my. $800 phone workable. And please don't state that Verizon phones are not locked.. I have had Verizon staff repaeatably now confirm it is locked.  Don't. Tell me. To fly back to the states. I would prefer a usable solution.

thanks heaps.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 8 purchased from Verizon. It is locked for other carriers.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The only way to unlock a device from the network would be to activate it on the Verizon Wireless network. Once that is done the device will be unlocked.

0 Likes
pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the same boat here.. with a brand new Iphone XS Max... I started a new prepaid plan this morning and activated my phone on the account. 

When will the phone unlock?

For what it's worth, I also pulled a GSX IMEI report on the phone and it indicated it was locked with "2387 - US Verizon Locked Policy" and someone mentioned it may be a prepaid phone that I purchased.

I assume the iphone XS will unlock tomorrow? Please advise

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I had an iPhone 5 previously. Both phone I used with no problems in Slovakia with a local SIM card. Nothing needs to be done to 'unlock' the phone. It should work. If it doesn't then it is a problem with the Vietnamese carrier not allowing the phone and SIM to work together on the network.

0 Likes