iPhone 6 Plus unable to install new IOS 10 software update on phone?? I've tried EVERYthing?!!?
TwistedWhiteHatter
Enthusiast - Level 2

iPhone 6 Plus IOS 10 software update failure? Tried every troubleshooting tip, talked to Apple and Verizon? I never use computer/iTunes to sync or for anything regarding this iphone, always update directly from my phone. I use iTunes sync for both my iPad mini & iPad mini 4 though and works fine. Everyone I speak to is only interested in troubleshooting/reinstalling iTunes on my laptop?! im at the point where I'm going to just lie and start saying I don't own a laptop or computer & dont have iTunes! I know the issue is not coming from any of that seeing as I've never once synced this iPhone 6 Plus to any computer or iTunes account. This is the first time I've ever had software update installation problems? But this update (10) and the previous (9.3.5) both continued to get an error screen saying 'unable to install'? The IOS software updates have downloaded to my phone just fine, I've even deleted them from my storage settings & reinstalled many many times over, but when trying to install sticks on 'verifying update' screen then goes back to same error message again 'unable to install'? Asks me to retry or remind me later both of which have yet to work yet either?! I've tried everything this is taking me days and now weeks! Any help appreciated! Thx!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 6 Plus unable to install new IOS 10 software update on phone?? I've tried EVERYthing?!!?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see you take advantage of the awesome features the new update has to offer, Lacy. I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you confirm the current iOS version you are running? Have you attempted a Settings Reset or Reset All Settings and Content  via Settings>General>Reset as this may be needed to clear any corruptons?

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Re: iPhone 6 Plus unable to install new IOS 10 software update on phone?? I've tried EVERYthing?!!?
TwistedWhiteHatter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently running IOS Version 9.3.4

I have tried resetting my network settings twice, no luck? I'm hesitant to reset all just because I'm afraid to lose any or even all of the data as well as everything else I keep stored on my iphone..? That would be my worst nightmare and literally the worst case scenario for me if it were to happen during this process! My main and only goal is to really get this update finished without having to sacrifice, lose or change everything on my phone. For example if I had to reset to factory defaults and lose all my personal info/data by having the iPhone reset to basically new from scratch & have to start all over again? I can't afford that type of loss Esp since I also run my own business mostly thru using my iphone! Last night I updated both my iPad mini & iPad mini 4 to the IOS 10 software with absolutley NO problems at all Also without using a computer or iTunes account to do so. Is there something major wrong with my iPhone why it's having issues & being so difficult? If I need to take it in to a Verizon store or Apple Store I will, esp if it'll make this easier! Thanks so much for your time & help, really appreciate it!!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't know if there is necessarily anything wrong with your iPhone but if it's still under warranty you can contact Apple Support and have them work with you to try and figure out the issue (although one of the troubleshooting steps will be to try installing via iTunes). Or you can go to your local Apple store for assistance. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to try doing it with iTunes? In the case where you mention concern over losing any of your data it's always a great idea to have a backup saved on a computer using iTunes (even if you use iCloud or some other cloud service to backup) just in case an issue occurs with your device that would require you to connect to iTunes to try and get it running again. But if you are adamantly against trying to install via iTunes then your options depend on if you have any warranty left on your device (as far as getting free support help from Apple). FYI...I personally only update iOS via iTunes because I've been successful at avoiding any of the errors or issues with bricking that sometimes happens with others who do it OTA and has a system glitch occur. But I get that may not be everyones cup of tea.

TwistedWhiteHatter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do keep it backed up very regularly, at least 2-3 times a day, on my phone using iCloud backup. Also have it set to automatically back up when connected to wifi and plugged in.. I ALWAYS make sure to first create a manual iCloud backup using my iPhone before updating Any software updates! It's just every single person I've talked to (Apple & Verizon) has each given me different reasons why my itunes may not be working right and several different ways for me to go about fixing it on my laptop. All of which are completely opposite from one another or too complicated and confusing? I've spent the last week straight devoted only to troubleshooting/fixing my iTunes. Still nothing has worked? I'm on the verge of insanity at this point! It shouldn't take this much work or this amount of time? Im actually missing out on my REAL job which I cannot afford to do any longer so I'm about to just give up?? Im pretty sure I've done all there is to do as far as fixing my iTunes but it still doesn't even show any of my iCloud backups which are currently stored on my iPhone, I'm even able to see them on my phone when I check.. It just seems crazy to me that my iPads made this update in a flash without any problems whatsoever but my iPhone can't??! If I haven't made any progress after today another whole day I'm strictly devoting to solving this issue I guess my only option next will be to take it to a verizon store or Apple authorized bestbuy location? Thank you for taking the time to help me!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

So you have been trying to do it via your laptop (which is what I mean by using iTunes)? I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were having issues doing it OTA (over the air). Your iCloud backups are different than manual backups done via iTunes with your phone connected to the computer. If you're having issues and getting error messages while attempting to update your iOS with the phone connected to your laptop and using iTunes what error codes are you getting (if any)? That might help pinpoint the issue.

TwistedWhiteHatter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just had a thought.. Would it be possible for me to sync or transfer everything important on my iPhone like the data, pics, music, etc. Over to one of my iPads? Maybe using icloud or something? I was thinking about it cause basically my iPad mini 4 is an almost exact copy of pretty much everything I have on my iPhone 6 Plus with the only difference being not every picture from the iPhone is on the iPads camera roll but at least half of them are! Also music not all the songs in my Apple Music library are on my iPad but def a lot of them are! I'm not sure if I've set it up this way intentionally somehow but pretty much I have my iPad set to where it basically functions as my iPhone, same apps, email accounts, settings, even accepts calls/messages when near each other, kinda like a mirror of or another version of my iphone for me to use when I need to for work purposes. If I were to go thru my iPhone and like take 'inventory' on what I can't lose/live without & make sure I move or transfer all of that over to my iPad (maybe via iCloud sharing, or simply just by a manual transfer) would all my info/data then be 'Safe' and secure there so then if by chance I do have to restore my iPhone to factory defaults or have to do any type of reset which involves erasing/losing my data just to get this software updated on my iPhone technically it won't matter since I already have it copied to my iPad?!! If my phone does for some reason get set back to new & I have to start all over after updating to IOS 10 couldn't I just copy or put everything back on it by using my iPad maybe with the cloud?? I don't know? If that even makes sense? Lol .. Just seems like it would be easy or at least possible? Thanks in advance for ANY & ALL of the help!! Greatly appreciated:))

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The easiest method would be for you to make a backup of your iPhone via iTunes while connected to the computer. That way, anything not saved to iCloud would be in that backup (assuming you don't have extra iCloud storage you're paying for above the free 5 gb you receive). How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support  (Click on the iTunes option so it will give you the steps for that if you aren't familiar with it)

TwistedWhiteHatter
Enthusiast - Level 2

No i use the iCloud backup setting on my iPhone to create and store backups made when im connected to wifi and plugged into a power source (charging) and also manually go in and do backups myself on the iPhone by clicking 'back up now' in iCloud settings. Also I do pay for more iCloud storage each month, the 50GB plan. Since I've always had issues with anything iTunes related I try to steer clear of ever using it esp for this iphone. But when I do open my iTunes account on my laptop it doesnt show any of those backups made to iCloud on my phone and also if I connect my iPhone with a USB it prompts me to reset my phone and register it as if it were brand new for the very 1st time?? Like I said I've reinstalled iTunes to the latest version several times and performed many other troubleshooting techniques to iTunes as well as my laptop all just here in the last 3-4 days straight, everyday! So I don't think there's anything wrong on that part, if so its def beyond my knowledge or skill at this point seeing that I've literally done everything I've been told, instructed and know how to do fixing any issues with iTunes and on my laptop. That's why I prefer to update on my iPhone right now instead of having to deal with or do anymore work on iTunes issues cause it's like beating a dead horse now if ya know what I mean? Lol.. But if i can't find a solution to doing it on my phone OTA then I guess my only option will be to take it in somewhere & have a professional fix it? I've had it less than a year, still making payments thru the device purchase agreement, have a little over $400 & 15months still left to go. So I'm pretty sure I'm still under warranty. But seriously if this continues to be a problem & takes up even more of my time I've actually considered finding a way to pay off that $400 balance, by trading in other Apple devices(iPhone 4s, iPad minis) and other android phones that I've collected all over the years that all still have value, however much that totals up to maybe then I could afford whatever remaining amount in cash and then once I own this iPhone turn around & trade it in for an upgrade to the new iPhone 7 plus!! Extreme, YES, but at this point becoming more & more worth it in my mind! Haha;))

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You could try selling it for the amount you owe assuming it is in excellent condition. Or you may be able to pay the 1 year difference off that you would owe to be eligible for the annual upgrade now. Contact Apple about the iTunes issue. No clue why you're having an issue except maybe it' because it's never been synced? If you have you iPhone synced to iCloud and the backups are happening (iTunes may not show it if the phone was never synced and associated with your computer) then you can verify that via iCloud.com by logging in with your Apple ID. If that's the case then even if you had to restore to new you would be fine and would be able to restore from the backup. You wouldn't be doing that from the computer anyway as iCloud backups would restore ota just like they are created. But yes, you are under warranty. Ultimately if trying install OTA won't work you will need to do so via iTunes. Doesn't matter who you take it to...if they can't get it to work any other way and they determine it's not a hardware failure issue (in which case they would replace the device and you would still need to update the iOS) then they will try doing it via iTunes. As long as you have a recent iCloud backup you're fine.