iPad mini no connect w/Verizon MiFi
mmnewman

I just got an iPad mini and it refuses to connect with my Verizon MiFi. It's not the iOS version that's the problem because my iPhone with iOS 6 connects just fine. My old iPad v1 connects, my iPhone with iOS 5 connects, my MBAir running Lion connects just fine. The new Mini is the only thing I can't join the network with. Anyone with a clue on this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPad mini no connect w/Verizon MiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there mmnewman!

Congrats on the new iPad! I am sure you are loving it. But I know you'd love it more if it would connect to your Mifi. Let's troubleshoot!

How many devices do you have connected to the Mifi? It sounds like you have a lot and I just want to make sure you aren't at the maximum. Also, do you get an error message on the iPad when trying to connect? Have you checked the password to the Mifi to ensure you are entering it in correctly? Can the iPad connect to any other wi-fi networks? Please let us know and we can work further.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
mmnewman

Hi-

Yes, I would very much like to use my new iPad mini with my MiFi card.

I can promise you that between my husband and me we must have tried connecting 20 or 25 times so I seriously doubt the SN was being entered incorrectly the entire time (if at all) and we are using the correct number as we've checked it against all the other devices we use with it that do work.

Speaking of which, while we have six devices that use--or at least have attempted to use--the Verizon MiFi, there is rarely more than one (my laptop) and never more than two (laptop, iPhone/Pad). Our two phones (iOS 6), my MacbookAir and the old iPad1(iOS 5) all successfully connect. My new Mini (iOS6) and my husband's desktop iMac (OS 10.7.5) are unable to connect. We tried connecting with the iMac just to see if it could.

The only message I get is the tiny notation at the top of the "Enter Password" window is: "Failed to join (network name)" If I should tap "Join" again a separate message might come up reporting: "Unable to join the network 'name'" with a "Dismiss" button.

All devices, including the new iPad Mini, are able to join the home network and I am able to join networks at coffee shops, bookstores, etc.

Also you should know that one thing my husband tried in troubleshooting this issue was updating the MiFi card's firmware to its latest version from your website. That unfortunately did not solve it. However the other devices are still connecting to the MiFi after that maneuver.

So that's the rub. Don't know what else I can report to you. We were about to try changing the password but this communique came in first so we'll hold off until we hear back.

thank you

MN

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MN! That's quite the pickle, and a challenge I am willing to meet head on! Thank you for testing and troubleshooting the steps MichelleG provided.

Have you tried changing the signal broadcast type your MiFi is sending out?

Start by logging in to the admin page of your MiFi. Connect with a working PC/Mac/Laptop. Now these steps will be a bit general as we have quite a few different MiFis. If possible, let us know which model you are using in order to give specific model info. (These are pretty universal steps, so it shouldn't be that much different)

Through your browser, please type this web address: 192.168.1.1 - The login password is your wireless access password for your MiFi.

Around the same area as where you can change your wireless security password, you should see a signal broadcast option that will likely be set as B,G,N. Please set it to broadcast in B,G only. Apply the settings changes. Once the MiFi restarts, try and reconnect your Mini and your iMac.

You may also want to change the broadcast channel to 01 or 11. Sometimes it is set to a default Channel, which is normally 06. All of these settings should be found within the same screen.

Let us know the results, or if you require further assistance! Thank MN, take care and have a great weekend!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
mmnewman

Okay, I was trying not to criticize previously--I actually typed a complaint last time but then deleted it--but your direction to log in to my admin page struck a raw nerve. I did not want to hear that because your website is opaque and impenetrable. I searched and searched and as far as I could tell there is no "admin page" or anything close to that name. No search gave up "signal" or "broadcast." Hence I got nowhere with your latest directions. (I just tried typing in the 192.168.1.1 url and got nowhere with that either. It did not load.) So...where is the admin page???

Also, to answer you question, my equipment is the Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L...device ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX (SIM)...however this information isn't getting me to the admin page.

This is REALLY frustrating because you guys are taking like three days to respond to things. Meanwhile my MiFi and Mini are essentially dea in the water.

<< Device ID edited to remove ID #  Please do not post device specific information on the public forum >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
mmnewman

I have finally found the admin page, no help to you guys. However, in keeping with the terrible design of this website, now I am unable to find even a reference to thebroadcast signal much less how to change it.

I did find the place to change the channel which I did several times but none of them worked.

I have been on the phone for the past 45 mins with Verizon (and Apple on conference) and for some reason no one has many answers for me. We haven't progressed beyond "Did you try restarting the iPad and the MIFi?" I  mean come on. That's  the first thing you try.

I'm trying to follow the previous direction of changing the signal broadcast to B,G, but I can't because it doesn't seem to exist and no one at support wll tell me.

Fix your website!

...oh great...this is good...your phone person just came back and said she talked to tech and was told I shouldn't change from B,G,N to just B,G because I CAN'T change that setting. Why was I told earlier in this thread to do that? Please refer above to the reply I received from your employee NicandroN_VZW. This person explicitly told me to do this as a potential remedy to my problem and for 24 hours I've been trying to find the damn setting and now I find out this.

Wow...that's all I've got to say...

0 Likes
mygrandmashousecat

Have you found a solution to this problem?  I'm having the same problem and I'm wondering if it's because my area doesn't have 4G, but that doesn't keep our laptop from connecting, so I don't understand why my iPad MINI and iPhone 5 won't connect.

I've tried resetting the network settings on both devices (3 times).  I even wiped my entire MINI clean and had to reload everything.  Of course, after that failed, I again reset just the network settings.  I've powered down all devices and turned back on in difference sequences. I've tried resetting the WPA2 setting, etc.

Nothing seems to work.  It is SOOOOOOOOOO frustrating!  (My iPad MINI and iPhone 5 BOTH successfully connect to other wi-fi, i.e., work, hotels, etc.)

0 Likes
mmnewman

I have solved it, if somewhat unsatisfactorily: I removed the password requirement and made it an open network. Doesn't do much for security but at least I can get on with the Mini. I am in conversation with someone regarding the MAC filter but I haven't tried it yet.

Did you try changing your password from a WPA2 to a WPA? That was another suggestion I got but, of course, it didn't work. Might for you.

I can let you know if the MAC filter works otherwise you can go commando and hope for the best. Just don't leave your MiFi on unless you're using it.

0 Likes
DAVBAR84

I have the same problem. Jetpack AC791L.

Firmware: Updated.
IPad Mini: ME280LL/A

I have 3 other iPads and 3 other MacBook Pros and 1 MacBook AIR. NONE of these have  a problem connecting with anything.

The iPad mini that I am discussing connects with an older version of the Jetpack that we have (we have 2).

The new JetPack will not connect with this iPad mini and only this device.

Please provide succinct answers specific to the iPAD mini. I have seen too many misguided answers and have been down several rabbit trails.

The problem is that the iPad mini is not accepting the JetPack password. It doesn't say it is invalid, it just comes back with the  "enter the password" dialog.

Please advise.

Daniel

0 Likes