iOS 8x - no voicemail without cellular data turned on - BOOOOO!
BlueDressDevil
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since updating my iPhone 5s to iOS 8x, I don't see a VM indicator or receive voicemail unless I have cellular data turned on. Under iOS 7x, I got an indicator and could retrieve VM the old-fashioned way. I really don't care to leave cellular data turned on, and can take or leave Visual Voicemail.

This needs to be fixed, either on the VZW side, the Apple side, or BOTH. It's ridiculous to expect a customer to leave cellular data turned on just to receive voicemail. Any 5+-year-old "feature phone" will give you basic VM - smart phones should be able to do the same!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: iOS 8x - no voicemail without cellular data turned on - BOOOOO!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know voicemails are very important to get on time, BlueDressDevil. By design, Apple's visual voice mail is a part of every iPhone. You still have the option to check your voicemail by dialing *86 if you'd prefer. But if your mobile data is off and Apple's visual voice mail can't connect to the network it will not be able to provide the notification.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
BlueDressDevil
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, Jennifer - and I do understand that Visual Voicemail won't work without cellular data turned on. I'm disappointed that I've lost a feature that worked on my phone under the previous version of iOS - that is, the Voicemail tab in my phone app would display a little red notification icon to let me know I had voicemail waiting, and would connect me to basic voicemail when I tapped the icon. With the recent iOS update, my phone is completely unaware of any waiting voicemail unless cellular data is turned on.

Weth
Legend

I Wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed.  Consider turning cellular data off for all apps and limit data to bare essentials. 

Kelly3599
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been searching for a fix for this too with no luck.  I backed up before I updated, I think I'm going to clear my phone and switch back to iOS 7. Voicemail is completely useless to me now since I have a small data plan and rarely turn it on. And randomly dialing *86 throughout the day is a joke. I have young kids in school, I can't hope that their teachers can get in touch with me if I have no idea they've even left a message. It's ridiculous that a basic phone can get voicemail notifications without cellular data and a smartphone can't. 

TllBlndGy
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's INSANE!!!! Voicemail is a TELEPHONE service and has nothing to do with data!!!!  It's just another [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] way of getting suckers to forget they've left on their cellular data to check for voicemail and run into data charges.

I repeat... Voicemail is part of TELEPHONE service. Why do I have to pay in data bytes to retrieve my own TELEPHONE messages?????

Weth
Legend

Sorry, but saying it is a "telephone service" is thinking 10 years out of date. Today, there is no difference in systems, it is all data. With the onset of VoLTE, voice goes over the data network. There will be only the data network going forward.

0 Likes