Re: call filter free
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be concerned too if the Call Filter was not working as desired, alphatennis. Let me try to help with some of the points you made about our Call Filter.  Also, I appreciate the other tidbits of information you've shared with the community. The Verizon Call filter works to block numbers already blocked on your device but not new numbers that have not called your number. The ways the spoof or spam callers work is to keep trying new numbers even if you put a call block on a similar number. As far as Samsung blocking numbers, it does have some good features, but the behind the scenes, it's trying to help.  This all depends if on if the number is already blocked or needs the block applied. However, using the Verizon Call filter has more benefits, so it might not be wise to use both apps at the same time to block the calls because one could interfere with the other. As far as the battery, it's true that the apps can drain the battery. However, you could use an app to determine which app is causing the issue and perhaps remove that app. As far as your other suggestions, they are appreciated. Please note that spam and unwanted calls happen industry-wide on both landline and wireless service providers. Here's a link that gives more details about the feature about our Call filter to help you along https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/ . I trust this information is beneficial. 

EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes
DanWM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to add my voice to this request ... Verizon, when are you going to give us a straight answer about STIR/SHAKEN implementation?  All your nonsense about blocking individual numbers is worthless in the context of caller ID spoofing.  We consumers know this, and you (or at least your engineers) should know this too.  Until you implement an option that allows completed calls ONLY from STIR/SHAKEN-compliant numbers, I don't see how this problem can be solved.

Oh, and as others have said above, this should be a basic part of Verizon accounts, not an extra fee-based subscription.  Validation of numbers and blocking of non-validated numbers is, in this day and age, fundamental to phone "service."

DanWM
Enthusiast - Level 2

This answer is foolish and should be deleted.  Reporting numbers, when we all know they are spoofed, just means that legitimate calls (if they ever happen) from the real owners of those numbers will be blocked.  Only ACTUALLY implementing STIR/SHAKEN can really help this issue ... and I keep wondering when Verizon will quit gaslighting us and actually do so.

DanWM
Enthusiast - Level 2

From that letter:

"Based on our deployment plans and our understanding of the timelines of other service providers, we expect that a large portion, and possibly a substantial majority, of the voice minutes that Verizon customers send and receive will be "signed" under the STIR/SHAKEN authentication standard in 2019."

Forgive my obvious ignorance, but evidence would suggest this commitment to the Federal Government has ... shall we say ... slipped its timeline a little teensy bit?