call filter free
kninejim
Enthusiast - Level 1

So far I've found the call filter free to be absolutely useless.  Not sure if the paid app is any better.  So far it has blocked one (1) spam call, and I have the filter set up to block all spam calls.  It does not recognize spoofed numbers and any number of other unwanted calls.  I can't see paying $2.99 a month per line for something that may not work any better and for something phone providers should be doing for free.  My land line provider offers nomorobo for free, and it works so well I'm almost beginning to wonder if it isn't blocking some wanted calls 🙂  Other than it takes up a little space on your phone I guess "call filter free" doesn't hurt anything, but shame on Verizon for touting this free version as a serious means of stopping robo and spam calls.  Great PR I guess, but it just doesn't work.

Re: call filter free
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how unwanted calls can be irritating kninejim. This is one of the reasons Call Filter was created.I apologize for any trouble you had using the feature. We want to make sure you have the support you need. This link is an excellent resource: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-call-filter/. There is an option to report a number as spam and automatically block them. Please scroll to it and verify these steps were followed. The application also provides a 10-day trial period for premium options as well. This will allow you to see which experience is best. If you have followed these steps and it didn't work, please share those details with us.   BobbyN_VZW

0 Likes
Alexl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, that's not true, the option to block a specific number is only if you PAY FOR THE SERVICE. I pay you almost 200.00/month. I'm not going to add more on. 

This service is absolutely useless.  It has blocked a total of 2 calls for me in the last 3 weeks. However, I have received dozens of spam calls.

So I just block them through the "block" feature on the iPhone. It's much more useful and I know that any specific number will never get through again. On top of that, I don't have to pay additonal money for it.

All the nickel and diming that ALL the companies do, really adds up and I'm trying to save money, not spend more of it for something useless.

dukenukem11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Totally and completely useless.  What's the motivation of Verizon to allow robocalls in the first place?  Clearly the technology exists to block them at the source, why place a cost burden on users?

With the verizon call filter app and nomorobo I still get a dozen calls a day, most from the area code my phone is in  - - I now live 1800 miles away, so they're clearly spam.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dukenukem11, these days the number of spam and robocalls is on the rise. We are sorry to hear that you are receiving numerous daily. With the Call Filter, you can also report numbers to us that are spam or robocallers to help alert us of these callers so we may add them to the list and improve the number of calls that are blocked for the future. Also, many phones do have ways to block the numbers right from the phone app. Which make and model phone do you have?

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LUKDIO12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another completely useless reply. Most of the spam calls (and for worse for me, text messages) are coming from spoofed numbers. I agree with one of the other posts ... technology exists to fix this problem but obviously Verizon simply doesn't care that customers are frustrated with all of the spam. Here's a suggestion ... give me the ability to block all calls and texts except for people in my contacts list (or a so-called "white list"). At this point that'd be better than what Verizon is doing now. I'm actively looking for another provider with better spam service.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is very concerning that this has become an issue. What you are experiencing is called Caller ID spoofing it's a technique that allows a caller to change the caller identification associated with a number. Spoofing is not caused by an error in the network or your phone. Spoofing usually happens when the calling party uses a paid service which allows the calling party to change the message sent as Caller ID. The FCC has gotten involved and has recommended customers file a complaint. I have included a link where the complaint can be filed. http://spr.ly/6187DdAMz Another solution would be to change your phone number. I understand to some people keeping your phone number is very important if that's the case for you I would recommend filing the complaint instead. We would hate for you to leave us for another service and have the same issue. 

RogerZ_VZW

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seriously???? Your spam filter may have worked 10-15 years ago. Since Caller ID Spoofing in now common technology and used by spammers, Verizon's Call Filter is 100% USELESS!

And to add insult to injury, if I pay $3/Month I get the privilege of adding THOUSANDS of spooofed phone numbers, possibly all called by the same spammer! In addition, Caller ID Spoofing uses live active phone numbers, so I could be accidentally blocking valid callers. SHAME ON YOU VERIZON.

Do the engineers at Verizon have any pride whatsoever? If any other industry tried to pass off such lame engineering in their product they would be laughed out of the market.

Here is the REAL ISSUE Folks, and why Verizon absolutely refuses to address this problem. There is a Technology Request put out by the FCC for all communications companies to implement CALL-AUTHENTICATION. The technology authenticates that the Caller ID is actually the source phone number and not a spoofed number. If the Caller ID is spoofed, the call is blocked before ringing your phone. Here is the link to the FCC site.

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Verizon has this ability, BUT IT WOULD COST VERIZON MONEY TO IMPLEMENT IT. Next time you hear Verizon call you a "Valued Customer", have a nice laugh.

AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Continuing the discusssion of Verizon's plans to implement CALLER-AUTHENTICATION, also know as SHAKEN/STIR Technology.

This is Joe Russo's reply to FCC's command to implement Caller-ID Authentication. Joe Russo, head of network operations at Verizon says that Verizon is committed to implementing Caller-ID Authentication (SHAKEN/STIR Technology) in the first half of 2019. Where is it?

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1119062987519/2018%2011%2019%20Verizon%20Call%20Authentication%20Framew... 

VERIZON - Could you comment on Joe Russo's failure to implement Caller Authentication? And maybe give us an updated implementation date?

alphatennis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Call Filter:

1) Does not work.  Spam calls keep coming through. Maybe 1 call out of 100 is caught by Call Filter.

2) I have a Samsung Galaxy and in the Phone app settings I have toggled the Block Unknown Numbers button to On so they can go to voicemail. Verizon has blocked this feature in Samsungs phones so that they can sell their Call Filter premium.

3) When I did have Call Filter installed, it drained my battery, almost 6% per battery charge.  Thus, I uninstalled the App as useless and drains battery.

4) I had to download a third party app called Stop Call and this did the trick for me.  In settings, I toggled the button to block all calls not in my contact list.  The app does as it says and spam calls go to voicemail and rarely will spammers leave a voicemail.  I also set up this app so that the silent ringer is on so that the spammers gets frustrated with multiple rings.  Also, I don't won't to to be bothered with  notifications from the app and in settings I toggled notifications to be off. This is the App:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mglab.scm

5) I started reporting these spam calls to the Do Not Call Registry:

https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html

I wish Verizon would get their act together:

1) Don't block the stock call  blocker app on Samsung and other devices.  Your company makes enough profit.  Verizon also blocks other Samung apps so that they can charge customers for their apps.  Example is Samsung Cloud which gives Samsung Galaxy owners free 15 GB of storage but Verizon customers who own a Galaxy are excluded.  I could go on about other free apps that Verizon blocks so customers purchase theirs for a price.  But, no time to list all of these.

I hope the above helps.  Thanks