Why is our iPhone 5c suddenly using data overnight?
MorgnsGrl

My husband and I have 1 shared gig per month. It's not uncommon for us to get a "you used 75% of your data" near the end of a cycle. But today we got the data warning only 9 days into our cycle, which doesn't make any sense. I called and Verizon rep showed me how to log in and view our data usage. Both of our phones (which are on our wifi when we're home, overnight) are using data at 5 am (when we are asleep!) One of the phones is using a GREAT deal of data, but even the other one is definitely using some. Shouldn't they be using the wifi instead? Why would they be using any data at all? And why would one of them suddenly be using 72% of our monthly gb in just a few days? HELP.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is our iPhone 5c suddenly using data overnight?
mama23dogs
Legend

Data is not reported in real time.  Think of it like writing checks, which are not cashed against your account until the payee deposits the check and it clears your bank.   Data is recorded by cell towers and reported back in batches hours later.

SInce one phone is reporting unusual use, factory reset the phone and see if that corrects the problem.  It is often an app or email on the phone which is continuously using data in the background.

YOu can go through Settings, data use, and turn off any app you want to restrict to wifi only (apps that are 'ON' are allowed to use cellular data.

IN settings, cellular data, scroll down and turn wifi assist OFF.

Your cell phone has an independent data meter in settings.   Open settings, data usage, scroll down and you will see total use and use by apps And system  (system includes iMessage.  If you have unlimited texting, there is no reason to use iMessage, turn it off.

Add a reminder to your phones to reset data use on the first day of your billing period and track you use for the billing period.

IF you have any other questions I am happy to help.

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

If we do a factory reset, will we lose all the apps and email accounts and everything on the phone? It will take hours and lots of redownloaded apps, which is kind of what we are trying to avoid (more data usage?)

How do we do a factory reset?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MorgnsGrl, having unsual data usage is very strange and we certainly want to get to the bottom of this. The last thing we want is for you to have any overages, were you able to narrow down what is causing the data usage? Here's a link to complete the factory reset if needed. http://vz.to/1QuHw1y

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

I did talk to a Verizon rep but the only thing she suggested was that we double check to make sure that the phone is connecting to wifi when it's being used at home. (She did not mention the part where just because the usage is showing as being at 5:24 a.m. or whatever, that doesn't mean the phone is actually using that data at that time.) We normally use less than 1 GB in a month. Now with just one phone we have used 78% of that in 9 days!!! This is a big problem and if you have any advice about how to figure out how/why it is happening that would be fantastic. Looking at our usage on the Verizon website is not helping me figure it out at all. As far as I know nothing has changed in how we use our phones.

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

I just thought of something that may be "new" - what if the phone is set to download podcasts overnight while it is "asleep?" Would it start using data instead of downloading over the wifi then? I mean, that would be a terrible design flaw but it's the only thing I can think of. If this is a possible explanation for the suddenly rampant data usage, how would we stop this from happening?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MorgnsGrl We know how urgent it is that we figure out what's causing the data usage while connected to wifi. You are on the right track as far as data being used even though wifi is turned on. The phone is going to pick up the stronger signal. It is common for wifi signal to fluctuate or even time out. The best way to avoid any data usage is to disable it from Settings, Cellular and turn off Cellular data.

SheritaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

So just not ever use cellular data at all? Then why are we paying for it? We do have "wi fi assist" turned off, for what it's worth. I do expect a more helpful response than "Well, just turn off your cellular data altogether." Especially when we have two identical phones and only one of them is experiencing this problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to enjoy your data plan as you see fit MorgansGrl. Do you recall having any apps auto update on the device? Also, how often do you use iCloud services to back up your info? Thesecan be catalyst in the data consumption.

ArnettH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MorgnsGrl

We are not using iCloud services to deliberately back up any info. Is there some sort of "on" button for an automated iCloud backup that could be happening without our knowledge? If so, can you please describe how we would shut it off?

0 Likes