Why does my phone use data when hooked up to wifi in the middle of the night?
sandybenzi
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone and my husbands phone both get charged with data usage even though they are hooked up to a wifi in the middle of the night. It has all added up to and overage charge this month. We have  never used this much data!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does my phone use data when hooked up to wifi in the middle of the night?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
MaryFran0613,

Managing your data usage is definitely important, so I absolutely understand your concern. Which iPhones do you have? Is cellular data turned off when connected to WiFi? If you have apps on the phone and a new update becomes available it can start the update and use data. Unless you have it set to not automatically update or update only while on wifi.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why does my phone use data when hooked up to wifi in the middle of the night?
MaryFran0613
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just logging in with to ask a similar question!!!  My two kids and I share 10G of data, and for the second month in a row, we seem to be blowing through it  too fast!  What's going on Verizon?!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Apple phones are known to disconnect from wifi during long periods of inactivity to save battery power.  This reverts the data to the mobile network.

0 Likes
MaryFran0613
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for replying, but it's only been the last several weeks this has been happening. All three of us have had iPhones for a few years now.

Snn5
Legend

Yes, and the reports are more prominent as of the past several weeks here. Might need to set some limits on your phones with Family Base or self control.

0 Likes
sandybenzi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine seems to have two distinct times during a 24 hour period like 10:53 am and 10:53 pm when it uses a good chunk! And I know I am not on it at either time because of work and sleep!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Might be when the records are synced from the towers to Verizon.  You might use a little data throughout the day but your records show large amounts at one time.  That would indicate that the sync process happens at one time for all data used that day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
MaryFran0613,

Managing your data usage is definitely important, so I absolutely understand your concern. Which iPhones do you have? Is cellular data turned off when connected to WiFi? If you have apps on the phone and a new update becomes available it can start the update and use data. Unless you have it set to not automatically update or update only while on wifi.

JohnB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sandybenzi, that's a good observation. Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device? If so, applications can update periodically. You may access the Google play store application to verify if  your applications are set up for automatic update.

For more device support, click http://vz.to/1kDL3MI

LasinaH_VZW
0 Likes
gail3228

0 Likes