Why do my 5c and 5s use data when I am on WiFi? And why does it show up in regular intervals of 6 hours? Very strange.
zole
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am really having problem controlling the data usage. It seems that iPhone 5c and 5s both use data when wifi is available. And plus, the data seems to be dumped all at once every 6 hours most of the time. I know I am neither uploading nor downloading 140MB over data at 7am. DOes anyone know how to control this?

I switched off almost all background data usage (except messages). I am not on facebook etc. What is going on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why do my 5c and 5s use data when I am on WiFi? And why does it show up in regular intervals of 6 hours? Very strange.
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

You have to turn your mobile data off to make sure your iPhone isn't using it when you don't want it to. The every 6 hours is most likely just the data for the past 6 hours being reported at that time.

Re: Why do my 5c and 5s use data when I am on WiFi? And why does it show up in regular intervals of 6 hours? Very strange.
zole
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Jay. I did try this and it works. But the point is to have data enabled since some iphone services (imessage) requires data enabled, and force iphone to use wifi when available. Is there a setting I don't know about that will assure this happens?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying Jay's suggestion, zole. The iPhone should still be able to use WiFi to send and receive iMessages. By design though, Apple devices will turn off WiFi when the phone goes dormant (screen turns off) so if you are in the midst of downloading something or a new message comes in, the phone will be using the available mobile data by default.  You can turn cellular data on or off for individual applications http://vz.to/1IuZJIM instead of completely shutting off the cellular data. In that same section, you can see what applications may be using more cellular data than others to go into that specific app for settings (for example, if Facebook is using a lot of data, go into the application's settings and make sure the video autoplay is turned to WiFi only).

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes