When does wi-fi calling take precedence over the cellular network?
lindsayinleander
Enthusiast - Level 3

We just updated our iPhones to IOS 9.3 and have turned on Verizon's Wi-Fi Calling service. We have good Wi-Fi in our house, in addition to access everywhere in our home to the cellular network using a network extender. I note that within our home the status bar on my iPhone sometimes says "Verizon" (indicating a cellular network connection) and sometimes it says "VZW Wi-Fi" (indicating Wi-Fi Calling connection). How is the choice between these two services made by the phone, or by by Verizon's CO? If it's a matter of signal level for the cellular network, what's the threshold for the cut-over to Wi-Fi Calling?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When does wi-fi calling take precedence over cellular network
Weth
Legend

NO official information from Verizon, but testing on another site showed for iPhones:

When signal hits -110 dBm wifi calling is triggered.  It seems to switch back if cellular signal then exceeds i.e. goes below -100 dBm.

For android, it was different settings and different based on manufacturer. 

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use WiFi calling is a great benefit to allow for a more wholesome wireless experience, Lindsayinleander. To answer your question, the device would be in charge of determining the best connection to either the WiFi connection or the wireless network and allow for the most streamlined communication. Here is a helpful site that will advise about some of the WiFi Calling Faqs: http://vz.to/1RDvpG2

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lindsayinleander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, Verizon Wireless Customer Support. I don't know if I'd call Wi-Fi Calling a "more wholesome wireless experience" - I think that's a bit of a stretch. I've been to the Verizon FAQ website you reference and it didn't even begin to address my question, which is why I posted here. You did a bit better, in indicating that the device would be in charge of the connection decision, but my question regarding how this is determined, and on what basis, remains unanswered. My guess is that, as with other even slightly technical questions I've asked on this forum, you don't know the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

NO official information from Verizon, but testing on another site showed for iPhones:

When signal hits -110 dBm wifi calling is triggered.  It seems to switch back if cellular signal then exceeds i.e. goes below -100 dBm.

For android, it was different settings and different based on manufacturer. 

lindsayinleander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Weth. This isn't inconsistent with my own observation on my iPhone 6. It's probably about as much of a "Correct Answer" and I'm going to get.

0 Likes