What are the options other than iCloud for a "full" iPone backup?
JazzyJeffJax
Enthusiast - Level 2

With iCloud you have limited options to increase the size of the capacity for backups:

5gb - Free

20gb - .99/month

200gb - 3.99/month

500gb - 9.99/moth

1TB - 19.99/month

With such a big gap between 20gb and 200gb, I am looking for feedback on other cloud options other than iCloud that will backup everything on my new iPhone 6.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What are the options other than iCloud for a "full" iPone backup?
mama23dogs
Legend

Managing the backup of your phone starts with knowing what is backed up, what is NOT, backed up and how to manage your data/phone content.

What is NOT backed up to icloud:

Apps, music, and any other iTunes purchase.  

What IS backed up to icloud:

your personal information, settings and data

if you open settings, icloud, storage, manage storage, show all apps.

this shows your app data amounts in decending order.   You can turn off backup for any app that doesn't need iCloud backup.  For example, I use Dropbox which auto uploads all my photo and video when I connect to home wifi, so I do not backup camera roll, so I turn the switch off.  I do backup data from other apps, but not all of them.

I backup an iPad and iPod touch to the same iCloud account with the 5 free GBS and have not needed more than that.

View solution in original post

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

OneDrive gives you 15 GB for free. Not sure what the pay options are but you can check that out. There are others but it might be easier for you to do a Google search to check them out. You also have the option of doing a backup on your computer if backing up is your main concern and Cloud options aren't your only choice. With your computer your storage is only limited by the space available on your hard drive.

0 Likes
JazzyJeffJax
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, iDrive does not back up everything (apps or text messages).

I'm looking for a provider that does it all.

Thanks

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

iDrive...is that the same as OneDrive (by Microsoft)?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Google Drive? Dropbox? Will those fit your needs?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

For everything, it is only iCloud or iTunes on your computer.  No other service can do full backup for idevices.  

mama23dogs
Legend

Managing the backup of your phone starts with knowing what is backed up, what is NOT, backed up and how to manage your data/phone content.

What is NOT backed up to icloud:

Apps, music, and any other iTunes purchase.  

What IS backed up to icloud:

your personal information, settings and data

if you open settings, icloud, storage, manage storage, show all apps.

this shows your app data amounts in decending order.   You can turn off backup for any app that doesn't need iCloud backup.  For example, I use Dropbox which auto uploads all my photo and video when I connect to home wifi, so I do not backup camera roll, so I turn the switch off.  I do backup data from other apps, but not all of them.

I backup an iPad and iPod touch to the same iCloud account with the 5 free GBS and have not needed more than that.

JazzyJeffJax
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apps and text messages are saved by iCloud.  I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a 6 and the appas and text messages, among other data, was transferred by the rep in the store.

Weth
Legend

Apps really aren't backed up to iCloud.  what is backed up is which app is on the device, not the whole app. When restoring the apps are then downloaded from iTunes not iCloud.  The apps don't count against your storage. 

Text messages do back up as you say, and that is a cause of a lot of data use in cases where movies and pictures are sent frequently. 

jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried an iTunes backup? There you are only limited by the amount of free space on your computer's hard drive....

0 Likes