Verizon tells me I am using up my data....what gives?
Bornatnightnotlastnig
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done everything to reduce my data usage (even though it is minimal at best).  I've  "allegedly" run out of data almost every month for the past three to four months.  I am a minimalist when it comes to using my phone and I've taken steps by shutting off most of my applications so I am not using it unnecessarily...however, I am consistently using my data before my billing periods end, "ACCORDING TO VERIZON".

I see there are others who are "stumped" by this mysterious SURGE in usage. Thoughts? Comments?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon tells me I am using up my data....what gives?
Not applicable

Could also be you downloaded an app that is running in background.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Is your phone in factory condition with bloatware? Then that is how Verizon wants it.

Not applicable

Could also be you downloaded an app that is running in background.

Bornatnightnotlastnig
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I haven't downloaded any applications and I have turned off all cellular connections .

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

WHich iPhone do you have?

how much data is it using every month? 

when did it change?   Anything else change at that time?

if you look in settings under cellular data, what apps are using the most data?  Make sure your apps are closed (double click home key and swipe up)

muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

I posted this in Nov 2013... I am no longer on an iPhone 5C, but the content here is still mostly valid.

https://youtu.be/47CM06N5gIo

Over the months I have been able to throttle back my phones data consumption by turning the LTE function OFF.  This overall has been the biggest difference maker, I had found.  With LTE turned on, I was getting rampant, round the clock data usage.

Also, iPhone-5 models on the latest iOS have multiple ways in which they use location services, not just the apps, but the phone itself.  You will most likely never even notice it... until your monthly billing statement punches you in the face.

Go to:

Settings => Privacy => Location Services => scroll down to System services => scroll down to Frequent Locations => Clear them and turn this function OFF.

The factory default is set to monitor and track your where-abouts, and yes it uses cellular data to accomplish this.  I do not know if the 6 models do the same thing.

Bornatnightnotlastnig
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you all for your help ! You were very helpful and informative and I have adjusted my phone.....!!!!

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Sure!!  Double check your Data usage in the My Verizon data tracker, it should drop considerably by throttling it back.  Although now you will lose the notifications and all the added perks and touches.  For you that might be OK.

It should also be noted that where I live in Palo Alto CA, there is VERY weak LTE coverage.  Its mostly non-existent.  I think its because local residents keep voting down additional cell-tower construction, whenever it comes up in the local ballots.  I suspect my 5C was chugging and churning cell-data 24/7 trying to acquire the weak LTE signal.

Since I have been on a Sony Xperia Z3, even under the same weak LTE coverage... it just does not do that.  It too has difficulty maintaining the LTE signal, BUT the stark difference is the Sony/Android OS does not gobble up my cell data pinging for towers, trying to merge into the LTE network.

Bornatnightnotlastnig
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you !!!

0 Likes