Verizon signal & Wi-Fi connection issues – started about 5/6 weeks ago, need HELP!
ccervant53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi everyone, I’m posting this in hopes that I can get some advice on how to address this signal issue I’m experiencing or to see if others are experiencing the same?

• I’ve been with Verizon since 2006, I currently have an iPhone 7

• I have lived in my Long Beach apartment since Oct ’16

• I haven’t experienced any signal or Wi-Fi connection issues EVER while living in my apartment or in this area in general

Until just about 5 to 6 weeks ago - I started experiencing signal issues in my apt, while on my commute and while at work – these are the issues:

• Signal goes from 4G LTE to 1x, 1 bar, 2 bars, 3G, or No signal throughout my commute from Long Beach to LA – this did not happen before, service has always been good for me in this area

• I can connect to Wi-Fi ok while in my living room, but my Verizon signal is shoddy (This now since Verizon enabled me to make calls via Wi-Fi)

• However, the moment I step into my bedroom (which is only about 10 feet from my router) my phone no longer wants to connect to Wi-Fi AND loses signal completely (no service or 1x)

• As a result, I can literally only use my phone in my 10x10 living room (I have a roommate and a LIFE.. this is NOT ok) AND I cannot use MAPS to navigate to a location because it does not recognize my current location, or if it does work it does not recognize that I am actually moving from that initial location that I started the GPS from...

Troubleshooting that has already been done:

• Replaced the sim card

• Rebooted the network signal

• Restored my iPhone

• Enabled Verizon HD voice & data

• Replaced my NEW iPhone with a refurbished iPhone 7 provided by Verizon – still having the same signal issues with the replacement

Again, this JUST started happening about 5-6 weeks ago. Before that I had no issues with connecting to the Verizon network or my Wi-Fi home connection. LIFE WAS GOOD!

Now I can no longer call my friends and or family while in my room,  I can no longer access my meditation, yoga, social media, news apps, etc.. This sucks!

I have called & visited a Verizon location multiple times over the past few weeks, they have helped with troubleshooting and providing a phone replacement. The last resolution they provided was to open a case for a service tech to check the signal in my area – after checking, they found no issues with signal in my area. Sent me a text to inform me my case was closed which included a link that contained a video explaining my options at this point: for me to enable HD voice & data (which I have already don’t at this point) or BUY a signal booster (which from what I understand would only possibly boost my Wi-Fi signal at home [which had no issue before] and will not help with my Verizon signal while out of the house). That’s it. Verizon is basically telling their loyal paying customer that I am SOL.

So unbelievably frustrating. At this point I’m not sure what could be causing this or what I can do to resolve this myself. Could it be that someone is using something in my complex that is now interrupting my signal at home? Should I ask around to find out? Did Verizon make a change to something in my area that they are unaware of or just won’t admit to? Would upgrading the iPhone 8 help even though it’s not the phone that seems to be the problem? I don’t know.. I am on a family plan with my sisters. I’m pretty sure if switch to another carrier I’ll end up paying more to just have a line on my own and that does not work for me right now. And in my opinion I believe Verizon provides better service than other carriers (until now).

I’m desperate and I’m hoping you may have some tips or suggestions for me – THANK YOU!

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon signal & Wi-Fi connection issues – started about 5/6 weeks ago, need HELP!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ccervant53, I know I would find this whole experience just as frustrating. You have come to the right place for help. You have performed many excellent troubleshooting steps as well, so I will pick up the ball from where you have left off. 

Generally, service experience can change in any area, and that is usually due to many different factors. Since this is all wireless service, indoor reception isn't a guarantee due to the signal having to go through buildings, rooms, floors, foliage, and also the distance the signal has to travel. In addition, as more people start to connect to a tower, signal quality can become affected too. What zip code are you located in?

Since you have an iPhone, let's start with a setting that I didn't see covered in the steps you have taken. When you have a moment, please access Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Press on Roaming > Is Data Roaming set to ON or OFF? If this setting is OFF, please switch it to ON, (or vice-versa) and then restart your phone by holding down both Power and Volume Down for about 6 seconds until your phone shuts off on its own. Then power on like normal. This can help your phone connect to a roaming partner tower, or one of our towers that may be closer to you, with a more direct line of sigth to your location.

When it comes to your WiFi connection, there are a few things that can cause your WiFi connection to fluctuate like this. Depending on the wall material, material found between the walls, (metal beams and or studs, concrete etc) your WiFi connection type, (2.4GHz or 5G/5.0GHz connection) settings, and the distance to the router; all of these factors can play a role with your WiFi connection quality. 

If you are currently using the 5G/5.0GHz connection, try connecting to the 2.4GHz version. Next, try placing your phone into Airplane Mode while you are indoors at home, and then turn on WiFi. (leave Airplane Mode on) This ensures that your phone stays locked in on WiFi only for all of your services. You should notice an improvement with your connection.

What may have been happening before is that cellular and WiFi were both active. Your signal may have been stronger at home, so the fluctuation between 4G and WiFi didn't matter, so you rarely experienced the issues you are having now.  

Please keep us posted with the results of these changes, ccervant53. Thank you!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon signal & Wi-Fi connection issues – started about 5/6 weeks ago, need HELP!
daleis64

My connection problem started mid-December 2019.  Calls cut out mid-sentence on both ends.  Worked with Verizon for DAYS on tech 2 chat with: reboots, factory resets, etc. and finally a new phone. Still cuts out!  If Verizon is having problems they won't fess up. (and that's what I strongly suggest is the problem) 

Anyone else having connection problems?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It worries us to hear of the problems with service being experienced, daleis64. It is our top priority to ensure you have reliable service, and we will do everything in our hands to help. Could you please provide us with your ZIP Code to review the network around you? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
Stelin24
Enthusiast - Level 1
  • Yes, for several weeks off and on.  It started getting worse the last couple of weeks. Five or six times a day, maybe more, as I'm not always checking my phone. Then I started losing calls most of the day yesterday. Today I barely had any internet connection, but my calls weren't breaking up. I don't pay for  WiFi or have any other devices with an internet connection. Only our phones. My husband has Sprint, and doesn't have any problem with his phone. 

What is going on?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to get to the bottom of what is going on with these service issues that you are experiencing, Stelin24. What steps have you tried? Is this issue only happening indoors? What is your current ZIP Code?

- ElizabethC_VZW

0 Likes
SheWrites

This is happening to me, too. 11968.

0 Likes
mdniu123

This just started for me last week.  I believe it has to do with my updating of the carrier settings as I was instructed to do.  I tried all the above recommended fixes and it works and then shortly thereafter stops working.  Very frustrating

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional details. It certainly us concerning to see that you are having issues. We want to help in any way we can. Is your device software currently up to date? Are you having any other issues with your device?  GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
baltray

We are having similar problems. It has gotten worse since we upgraded our  internet service one bar or no bars my husbands phone is not getting calls even hooked up to WiFi . I went through all the trouble shooting still not better.  I’m at a loss and very frustrated as to have phone service at our house.   I tried to talk to the customer help texting last night again and no help.  

0 Likes