Verizon Messages - SMS needs data?
EyeballIB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched to an iPhone from Android (and a brief stint from Windows phone).  I've been using Verizon Messages as my SMS/MMS app going back to Android (I travel internationally a lot - saves me a lot of money texting over WiFi).

I installed VZ Messages on my iPhone which seems to work fine as long as I'm well connected, but when I'm in spotty coverage or in a place where I have no data (international airport), it doesn't seem to send/receive.  I can go over to the integrated Messages app and send/receive SMS from there.  I also have times when I get an alert for a message, but it doesn't show up in the actual message list until I get into a steady data/wifi zone.  It does sit in the integrated Messages app.

On the Android platform, it seems VZ Messages sits over the integrated Messages app (I believe it shares the same database) & it works as long as you have cellular signal (even without data or internationally).  I'm not sure if the iPhone app should behave the same way?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Messages - SMS needs data?
Weth
Legend

ON iPhone, the Verizon message app only transports over data and not the SMS channel, the database is separate.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

ON iPhone, the Verizon message app only transports over data and not the SMS channel, the database is separate.  

0 Likes
EyeballIB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmm... That's what I was afraid of.

I wish it behaved a little closer to the Android app - makes the whole thing simpler.

0 Likes