Sudden increase in data usage
4inmynest

We seldom surpass our 2GB data on our plan with 3 phones because we are all very careful about data usage.  Suddenly, this month we are only 14 days in and our data is almost out even after adding a GB of extra data.  The culprit is "Web" usage on one of our phones but we can't for the life of us figure out why.  We strictly limit our web browsing to when we are on wifi.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Sudden increase in data usage
JCTJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can check which phone is doing what by going to myVerizon.com, logging in, and from the home screen click on the "Data" menu item. Once there, you can scroll down where it gives you a circular guage for how much of your alloted data has been used, and to the right of that it will show your Plan (with the amount of data you get each month). Just below the Plan Amount, it will show Carry Over Data. In between the two there is a small link that says "View Data Details". Click on that and you will be able to see how much data each line has used.

Even more fun: you can go to the bottom of the list of your lines and see "Current Data Log For:" and a box you can select each line in. Select a line and you will see when the data usage happened during the day (each day in the billing cycle). As @mama23dogs says in a different thread, there can be surprises because some service providers (i.e. tower owners?) may gather a day's worth of data usage and 'bill' Verizon at once, so a large amount of data usage may show up as all happening at a very unusual time, such as 2 AM when the phone user (and the phone) are asleep.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@JCTJ wrote:

You can check which phone is doing what by going to myVerizon.com, logging in, and from the home screen click on the "Data" menu item. Once there, you can scroll down where it gives you a circular guage for how much of your alloted data has been used, and to the right of that it will show your Plan (with the amount of data you get each month). Just below the Plan Amount, it will show Carry Over Data. In between the two there is a small link that says "View Data Details". Click on that and you will be able to see how much data each line has used.

Even more fun: you can go to the bottom of the list of your lines and see "Current Data Log For:" and a box you can select each line in. Select a line and you will see when the data usage happened during the day (each day in the billing cycle). As @mama23dogs says in a different thread, there can be surprises because some service providers (i.e. tower owners?) may gather a day's worth of data usage and 'bill' Verizon at once, so a large amount of data usage may show up as all happening at a very unusual time, such as 2 AM when the phone user (and the phone) are asleep.

Most carriers lease towers or have domestic roaming agreements.  It’s very typical that those towers batch report data at intervals.  AT&T usage reports clearly show both 3 hour batch reporting and continuous reporting if you are streaming.  

The best way to monitor your use is not the usage reports, but on your phone.  It’s easy on android because android counts use by bill cycle.  iPhones have to be reset, or you have to use an app to monitor for you.

3F3A0F18-7C17-47C6-A2F8-139FD248C7C5.png4210BA4F-E926-43B8-811D-987DDF27722E.png

bearone21
Legend

i suggest you look at some of the newest plans.

i changed from a 4g plan to unlimited & saved money.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would also be concerned if my data usage increased without knowing why. Allow us to gather more information to be on the same page and provide the best resolution. You mentioned that the culprit is "Web" usage, where did you see this information? How do you normally use your data?

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes