Online while On Phone?
thomsmom

Moved to Verizon last year and was surprised that I couldn't go online and/or receive texts while I am on the phone.  This was a function I had with AT&T and it is pretty annoying.  On a conference call and someone needs to send me something to review and I have to hang up, grab the email and call back.  What?  I realize this works when on WiFi, but when I'm remote (I travel a lot) it's really been a pain.

This can't be a function of the phone since AT&T works fine, so does anyone know whether this will be addressed with Verizon anytime soon?  If not, I fear I may have to cancel early and move back to the dreaded AT& Dropped Calls T.  Ugh.

Thank you !!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Online while On Phone?
Weth
Legend

It is really a technology problem and not a company problem.  Verizon uses a technology called CDMA. Their current installation of this technology does not allow both voice and data to be transmitted at the same time. Text is something different though, as you should receive text while you're on a call. These will not be iMessages but you can receive regular text. Make sure the setting in your phone is to allow to receive text messages when iMessage is not available.

There is good news in this area though. Verizon is moving to a new her voice technology called VoLTPe which is available in the new iPhone 6 that will about data and voice at the same time. Verizon will turn on their VoLTE service likely in the next few weeks. We are only at the very beginning of this transition but very quickly your concerns will be alleviated with the Verizon technology upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Online while On Phone?
Weth
Legend

It is really a technology problem and not a company problem.  Verizon uses a technology called CDMA. Their current installation of this technology does not allow both voice and data to be transmitted at the same time. Text is something different though, as you should receive text while you're on a call. These will not be iMessages but you can receive regular text. Make sure the setting in your phone is to allow to receive text messages when iMessage is not available.

There is good news in this area though. Verizon is moving to a new her voice technology called VoLTPe which is available in the new iPhone 6 that will about data and voice at the same time. Verizon will turn on their VoLTE service likely in the next few weeks. We are only at the very beginning of this transition but very quickly your concerns will be alleviated with the Verizon technology upgrade.

0 Likes