Re: Old iPhone trade in for iPhone 6?
Kbell724

DON'T trade your old iPhone on line with Verizon. There are tons of posts about customers getting screwed out of what they are due for their trade-ins. As with me and my husband's phones, they met ALL the criteria by Verizon to get $100 per phone, however we were quoted $36 per phone! As you will see on the other posts, Verizon uses some made up excuse for not giving customers, who spend a tremndous amount of money with VZ over the course of a year, the entitled amount.

What's deplorable is that VZ says in their recent advertising that the offer is 'UP TO" $100 per trade-in contingent on the phone's condition of course. That's they're way of skirting around deceptive advertising and avoid investigation by the FTC or lawsuits. To save themselves money they are deliberately - as we've all noticed - downgrading the value of our phones and hiding behind their advertising to cover their actions.  See VZ has to show a profit of a required dollar amount to their Board of Directors every quarter or annually, whatever. VZ Corporate obviously believe they'll meet their profit requirements by conducting their trade in program this way but what they fail to lose site of is that their numbers will DRAMATICALLY decrease due to angered customers who will be switching carriers!

So I am canceling my order for (2) iPhone 6 plus and switching carriers. The best way to get back at the company is to leave them since they are NOT willing to resolve their business practices and of course...POST ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

I don't know about anyone else but I AM SO SICK AND TIRED of multi-million/billion companies screwing their customers! They wouldn't have their salaries if it weren't for us!

0 Likes
Kicjow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I wanted to know if I was to do the trade-in from the iphone 4 to the iphone 6 that if i do it online when do i send in my iphone 4 do i send it in when i get my iphone 6 or when do i send it in.

0 Likes
larson289

I preordered the iPhone 6 but it says it won't be shipped until October 4.  I also requested the trade-in information which I received.  However, the information says you have to purchase and activate a new iPhone 6 with Verizon wireless during 9/9/14 to 9/30 14 in order to get the trade in value.  This is impossible if it won't be shipped until October 4.  Very disappointing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kbell724 We are on your side and want to help you have a better experience with us. We apologize for any frustration the trade in value has caused and we would never want to lose your business. You mentioned the phones were in good and working condition which helped add to the appraised value. Do you know if "Find my iPhone" was disabled on the devices traded in? If that feature was not completely disabled that impacts the trade in value. As for the orders with the new iPhones, we want to do our best and see how we can help you stay with us. Please let us know how we can save this relationship.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kicjow Great question! When you trade in your device online it takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive your gift card AFTER we receive your iPhone 4. You can activate another phone you might have around or a previous VZW device etc. The trade in offer is set to expire on 9/30/14 so there is still a little time to review your options.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
awfpack
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am still trying to understand all this trade in stuff.   I ordered my Iphone 6 online and I should get it today (on my local truck out for delivery).  I have a Iphone 4 that I want to trade in.  Can I just go into my local corporate Verizon store and trade it in? Will I get the gift card at the store?  Do I have to mail it in?  Please explain

Thanks

Kbell724

Hi Sherita -

I appreciate your response considering I was not expecting one!

The reason I got on the Verizon site today began when I discovered I was being charged $30 per phone for an upgrade! This charge WAS NOT included in the charges until I paid and received my receipt! I was absolutely appalled and wanted to contact someone about the charges and then if nothing was resolved, I was going to cancel my order and switch carriers. We have (3) devices that are month to month.

While on the site, I came across the community forum about trade-ins and that’s when I discovered that others had a similar experience as me,even worse!

Here’s the background on my situation, what I did and some suggestions for making Verizon more customer conscious:

Prior to ordering our 6’s, I wanted to get an estimated trade-in value of our phones. I answered the questionnaire twice, (1) with and (1) without the “Find My iPhone” as being disabled and both times I received the $36 quote. I thought that question was more rhetorical rather than the feature truly needing to be disabled. Do I need to have it disabled because this allows Verizon to actually check the phone’s condition? Just let me know and I’ll do that. Also, if this is the reason for disconnecting “Find my iPhone” then it needs to be explained to consumers.

Since I was not satisfied with both initial appraisals as they varied so greatly from $200 to $36, I decided to go to a store because I figured I’d get a better trade-in value. To add insult to injury, the trade-in promotion ends 9/30! Since the phone wasn’t released until today and there were so many pre-orders, that would make thousands ineligible! Since I used to run promotions I know there needs to be a cut off date but this particular end date needs to be reconsidered since many orders won’t be received until October. Ours are due 10/24 and we ordered them before today! Pre-orders before a certain date should still be eligible for the trade-in promotion.

I’ve been in retail marketing for over 15 years so I’m well acquainted with the laws governing promotions/sweepstakes/contests, how companies manipulate advertising copy to stay just within the parameters set by the BBB and other agencies to avoid fraud accusations, how companies will conduct questionable business practices to grow their profits to please their investors and Board of Directors( often at the expense of their customers and lower level employees) and more. I’m also familiar with PR nightmares, which this situation can quickly become.

Sharita, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all, but with my background I can easily identify when a company is trying to exploit their customers’ lack of knowledge, as I feel is the case here. I think of all those other individuals who don’t realize they’re being taken advantage of.

To get me to stay…

1) Verizon needs to do away with the upgrade charges starting with mine but then turn it into a company policy (what’s my incentive to stay with VZ if I’m going to be charged to upgrade when I can go with another carrier and pay nothing) 2) extend the trade-in promotion dates to include pre-orders regardless of their delivery dates

3) be more transparent in their criteria for the trade-in (why we need to disable “Find my iPhone” during the appraisal)

4) lower rates or extra data for customers based on their anniversary dates as a loyalty incentive (if a customer has been with VZ for X number of years they would receive a special offer) get a discount on their plans or extra data)

5) get the trade-in department to be more honest about their evaluations because when reading these forums it sounds like customers are being given the same blanket causes to devalue their trade-ins and in some cases there have been outright lies!

6) give supervisors the authority to offer special incentives to keep customers as in my situation rather than having a rep say “I can’t do that. It’s not company policy…”

7) make department phone numbers more accessible to customers; i.e. number to the trade-in dept.

I’m sure there’s more but I’ll stop here!

Let me know what you guys are willing to do to get me to remain with VZ.

Thanks Sharita!

0 Likes
Atul_San_Jose

Verizon absolutely sucks treating their current customers, and I experienced it first hand when I called them to upgrade my family's iphone5C to iphone6.

I am 1 year into the 2-year contract with Verizon, and they would not do anything to help.

So, I just called T-Mobile, and here is what they are doing for me:

## APPLES-TO-APPLES analysis:

1. Trade in the two iphone5C, and give us $202 each ($404) -- Verizon is offering $0 since I am under 2 year contract

2. This brings down the cost of iphone6 to $447 ($894 total) -- with with Verizon it is $649 ($1298 total), saving of $404

3. T-Mobile is paying us $500 to get out of the Verizon contract ($250 each)

4. Their monthly cost for 2 lines in $80, whereas I pay $120 with Verizon, same data coverage, savings of $40/month.

** Bottom line over 2-years, we will save $960 ($40 X 24 months) + $404 (two phones) = $1364  ($56.83 per month)

** So I am signing up with T-mobile over the weekend.

And when I call Verizon. they have nothing to match this offer, when I am a customer with them for 10+ years.

All they talk about is - "look at our network"

Now that is complete BS.

I did extensive research, and in the San Jose/Silicon Valley/Bay Area, Verizon and T-Mobile are neck-to-neck in several studies.

I think unless Verizon wakes up from their bullshit "look at our network" slogan, especially is big metro areas where it is simply not true, they will loose customers left and right.

I am willing to pay a 10% premium maybe for a better network, but not a 25% to 40% premium - that is a Verizon rip-off

0 Likes
Atul_San_Jose

rootmetrics.com

Go to the above website and look at the coverage score between Verizon and other carriers in the "San Jose" area:

ATT:        96.9

Verizon:   96.2

T-Mobile:  95.1

Sprint:      80.4

So Verizon is 1% to 2% better than T-Mobile, but cost $56.83 *MORE* per month over 2 years.

You do the math, and tell my how and why anyone should stick with Verizon!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kbell724,

The one-time $30 upgrade fee is  charged to every customer that upgrades at the 2 year pricing. The fee is more than just a fee, it comes with some awesome benefits. Free Wireless workshops http://bit.ly/oc2kd5 , recycle program http://bit.ly/GGnDDC, setup of your phone from start to finish. The upgrade fee is waived when upgrading at the full retail pricing or on Edge. 

We offer data promotions all the time to help lower data costs for extra data, we currently have a promotion for :Buy any new smartphone and get 1 GB of bonus data for each qualifying line that you add or upgrade.
1GB bonus data per month for up to 24 months, as long as each smartphone remains active on a MORE Everything plan 1GB or higher http://vz.to/OCUfpT .

We always want to provide additional information via our FAQ's when participating in any program. Here is the Trade-in FAQ listed on the Trade-in page http://vz.to/1mmRYzL .

Special incentives are made available to your account when eligible, you can check your lines for any special promotions by signing into MyVerizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc .

Any customer trading in iPhones that are running iOS 7 or later must turn off the Find My iPhone feature using their Apple ID password before their iPhones can be submitted for trade-in. The reason behind this request is because Find My iPhone can help you locate your lost iPhone, but if it looks like that’s not going to happen, new security features in iOS 7 make it harder for anyone who’s not you to use or sell your device. Now turning off Find My iPhone or erasing your device requires your Apple ID and password. Find My iPhone can also continue to display a custom message, even after your device is erased. And your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can reactivate it. Which would make the device unusable.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes