My screen goes black and a wheel starts turning onscreen after sixty seconds in any app
IANHOR75
Enthusiast - Level 2

My screen seems to work for sixty seconds in any app. Then the screen goes black and a small wheel appears, turning, in the center of the screen. It started Saturday, December 2nd. I can make phone calls and they don't get cut off after sixty seconds but my texts do as well as any app I go into. Sixty seconds later, it's gone.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My screen goes black and a wheel starts turning onscreen after sixty seconds in any app
JTROT62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this same issue this weekend. It’s called “looping.” It is happening because you needed to update your recent OS 11 to 11.2.  It just came out a couple days ago, while we all upgraded to OS 11 a couple weeks ago. I ignored the notification when I got it, knowing that I just upgraded.  I didn’t realize how “important” this update would be!  Within days, I began having serious problems with my phone!  Besides my battery draining within an hour or two of use, my phone began to go to the lock screen every minute, even when I went into my settings and disabled the lock screen, etc.  Originally, I was getting a black screen that said, “Zoom Enabled,” too; then,  it would start the little wheel spin, cutting off any activity.  

I went to my Verizon store for help, but they thought that I had a software issue preventing my OS upgrade from working properly.  They felt that I needed to have a Hard Restore done. Unfortunately, the battery drained within minutes of that procedure, and the “looping” problem started up, again.  They arranged for me to have a replacement phone sent to me.  My phone was only 10 months old, and it automatically comes with a 1-year AppleCare warranty. I didn’t want a re-furbished phone. I pay $11 per month for “insurance,” so I wasn’t very comfortable with the whole “replacement” policy using “refurbished” phones.  However, I didn’t think that I had any other option.

WRONG!  GO TO THE APPLE STORE, where they can fix your problem within minutes!  Seriously!  They actually hook your phone up to their computers via USB cable and are able to do a quick and easy System Restore, including the OS update, via iTunes, even while your phone is still messed up and “looping! Verizon can’t do this so easily because it relies on WiFi to help with updates and/or resets, etc. since they don’t carry Apple computers in their store, which would provide them with the technology to hook into iTunes much more effectively.

Verizon is now aware of this issue, but not all of the Verizon assistants are aware of it.  You could call Apple Support and someone might be able to talk you through the process of updating your OS to 11.2.  However, if you mess around trying to do a soft reset or a hard reset, yourself, BEFORE updating to 11.2, the issues of “looping” and battery drainage begin. 

Hope this helps, a little??  My phone is working fine, now. A few apps are still quirky, but that is just because those apps haven’t caught up to the Apple OS upgrades.

View solution in original post

Re: My screen goes black and a wheel starts turning onscreen after sixty seconds in any app
JTROT62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had this same issue this weekend. It’s called “looping.” It is happening because you needed to update your recent OS 11 to 11.2.  It just came out a couple days ago, while we all upgraded to OS 11 a couple weeks ago. I ignored the notification when I got it, knowing that I just upgraded.  I didn’t realize how “important” this update would be!  Within days, I began having serious problems with my phone!  Besides my battery draining within an hour or two of use, my phone began to go to the lock screen every minute, even when I went into my settings and disabled the lock screen, etc.  Originally, I was getting a black screen that said, “Zoom Enabled,” too; then,  it would start the little wheel spin, cutting off any activity.  

I went to my Verizon store for help, but they thought that I had a software issue preventing my OS upgrade from working properly.  They felt that I needed to have a Hard Restore done. Unfortunately, the battery drained within minutes of that procedure, and the “looping” problem started up, again.  They arranged for me to have a replacement phone sent to me.  My phone was only 10 months old, and it automatically comes with a 1-year AppleCare warranty. I didn’t want a re-furbished phone. I pay $11 per month for “insurance,” so I wasn’t very comfortable with the whole “replacement” policy using “refurbished” phones.  However, I didn’t think that I had any other option.

WRONG!  GO TO THE APPLE STORE, where they can fix your problem within minutes!  Seriously!  They actually hook your phone up to their computers via USB cable and are able to do a quick and easy System Restore, including the OS update, via iTunes, even while your phone is still messed up and “looping! Verizon can’t do this so easily because it relies on WiFi to help with updates and/or resets, etc. since they don’t carry Apple computers in their store, which would provide them with the technology to hook into iTunes much more effectively.

Verizon is now aware of this issue, but not all of the Verizon assistants are aware of it.  You could call Apple Support and someone might be able to talk you through the process of updating your OS to 11.2.  However, if you mess around trying to do a soft reset or a hard reset, yourself, BEFORE updating to 11.2, the issues of “looping” and battery drainage begin. 

Hope this helps, a little??  My phone is working fine, now. A few apps are still quirky, but that is just because those apps haven’t caught up to the Apple OS upgrades.

N33NIE

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!! DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!  I am going to try contacting VZ wireless chat to see if they can help me. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

IANHOR75,

Making sure you can fully utilize your device is crucial.I don't want to see you unable to enjoy your phone. When this happens what do you do to get the phone working again? Have you been able to try an update as mentioned by JTROT62?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JTROT62
Enthusiast - Level 2

it might be best to contact a Verizon Tech via phone. I found that the chat help was a little difficult as they seem to follow some sort of script and may not interpret your actual questions as easily as a phone texh can. If your phone is under 1 year old, you automatically have 1 free year of AppleCare, and it might be faster for an Apple tech to guide you through the necessary steps to adjust your phone. They are all very familiar with this issue.  Still, some of the comments on this site showed that some of the Verizon techs are quickly understanding how to help you.  Good luck! 

0 Likes
IANHOR75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured this out minutes before I saw your e-mail. I read an article about this happening. My phone didn't show that it needed an update but what happened was the update hadn't completed. So I finished updating and it's fine now. Your answer was clear and I appreciate that you sent it. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

0 Likes
IANHOR75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I found an article about the 11.2 update and discovered my phone had quit downloading it. So it was stuck in a loop. Very frustrating!

Gina2255
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried doing the update but it want let me when I click on it. Mine just keeps doing the same thing the screen going black and the little wheel turning.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

JTROT62 wrote:

I had this same issue this weekend. It’s called “looping.” It is happening because you needed to update your recent OS 11 to 11.2. Yes the phone's software will need to be upgraded. It just came out a couple days ago, while we all upgraded to OS 11 a couple weeks ago. I ignored the notification when I got it, knowing that I just upgraded. I didn’t realize how “important” this update would be! All software updates are important. Within days, I began having serious problems with my phone! Besides my battery draining within an hour or two of use, my phone began to go to the lock screen every minute, even when I went into my settings and disabled the lock screen, etc. Originally, I was getting a black screen that said, “Zoom Enabled,” too; then, it would start the little wheel spin, cutting off any activity.

I went to my Verizon store for help, but they thought that I had a software issue preventing my OS upgrade from working properly. They felt that I needed to have a Hard Restore done. Unfortunately, the battery drained within minutes of that procedure, and the “looping” problem started up, again. They arranged for me to have a replacement phone sent to me. My phone was only 10 months old, and it automatically comes with a 1-year AppleCare warranty. Your phone comes with a one year warranty from the manufacturer. In this case it is Apple. All manufacturer warranties state that you would receive a new or like new replacement. Apple Care is completely different that this one year warranty. Verizon is not the warranty administrator and can only follow the warranty guidelines set forth by Apple. Any replacement phone that Verizon would ship to you is provided to them by Apple. A certified like new replacement is sometimes better than a brand new phone. Brand new devices roll off the assembly line and get put in the box, sealed and shipped. A CLNR is turned on and goes through a 110 point check to make sure it functions. This is to avoid having to have any additional replacements sent to you.  I didn’t want a re-furbished phone. I pay $11 per month for “insurance,” so I wasn’t very comfortable with the whole “replacement” policy using “refurbished” phones. However, I didn’t think that I had any other option. Insurance covers your device in the event of loss or theft and physical or liquid damage. Replacement under insurance comes with a deductible and will always provide you a "refurbished" phone. Insurance also provides an extended warranty THROUGH Verizon which covers your device against software or hardware defects for as long as you pay or the whole insurance or the extended warranty. Keeping in mind that the extended warranty is provided by Verizon which means that Verizon will send a replacement and not Apple. After the first year, Apple may help with troubleshooting but if your device needs to be replaced they will deny that and you will have to go to Verizon.

WRONG! GO TO THE APPLE STORE, where they can fix your problem within minutes! Seriously! They actually hook your phone up to their computers via USB cable and are able to do a quick and easy System Restore, including the OS update, via iTunes, even while your phone is still messed up and “looping! Verizon can’t do this so easily because it relies on WiFi to help with updates and/or resets, etc. since they don’t carry Apple computers in their store, which would provide them with the technology to hook into iTunes much more effectively. This is a little misleading. Apple is more equipped to help with issues like this. Verizon stores are NOT for complicated technical issues. The reps are trained to try rebooting the device and/or helping perform a factory reset. They are sales people not technical support. They are not there to spend more than 5-10 minutes on technical issues. Verizon did used to have a third party company provide technical support in store but they no longer do that. Verizon has telephone technical support to help with the more complicated issues.

Verizon is now aware of this issue, but not all of the Verizon assistants are aware of it. You could call Apple Support and someone might be able to talk you through the process of updating your OS to 11.2. However, if you mess around trying to do a soft reset or a hard reset, yourself, BEFORE updating to 11.2, the issues of “looping” and battery drainage begin.

Hope this helps, a little?? My phone is working fine, now. A few apps are still quirky, but that is just because those apps haven’t caught up to the Apple OS upgrades.

IANHOR75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. I figured it out and it is working great.