Re: Major increase in data usage upon upgrade to iPhone SE
Tidbits
Legend

iCloud and iMessage uses data and photos sent through iMessage is full quality. That means instead of compressed like MMS(under 1mb usually 250kb) it will send a photo up to 10MB. If you don't delete years worth of iMessages you could have gbs of photos without even realizing it. When you upgrade to a new device all that syncs and Verizon would see iMessages as social media.

Tidbits
Legend

Also iCloud should sync things in your photo gallery if you have that turned on too.

octane11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits: Thank you. That makes perfect sense. Sooooo, once the new device syncs, should the enormous data use stop by itself, or does the entire iMessages file sync every time she gets an new iMessage? We've turned off all the syncing we can find (she doesn't sync to her computer, and I believe she recently stopped automatically backing up the iCloud.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

just the old stuff gets synced once. Normally I delete photos and save them to gallery.  When I get a new device I make sure I use iTunes to sync my photos.

octane11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for all your insight!

0 Likes
DAVNOR65
Enthusiast - Level 2

My daughter had a similar problem with iphone 6s plus after an upgrade, but she was on AT&T.  Long story short it was a problem with the physical phone caused by the upgrade.  She supposedly used something like 10Gb of data while she was sleeping and connected to WiFi overnight.  Bottomline, Apple ended up replacing the phone, neither Apple or AT&T tech support could figure out what was causing it  use so much data.

Tidbits
Legend

DAVNOR65 wrote:

My daughter had a similar problem with iphone 6s plus after an upgrade, but she was on AT&T. Long story short it was a problem with the physical phone caused by the upgrade. She supposedly used something like 10Gb of data while she was sleeping and connected to WiFi overnight. Bottomline, Apple ended up replacing the phone, neither Apple or AT&T tech support could figure out what was causing it use so much data.

Wifi sleeps when the display is off from what I remember.  There are multiple instances where data is called and wifi doesn't wake up and uses cellular data.  I remember seeing things like that since the iPhone 3G.

0 Likes
DAVNOR65
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it was a known problem why couldn't either Apple or AT&T tech support figure it out?  Apple replaced the phone, problem went away.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's been that way for a while. Apple reps don't know a lot of their own policies also.

For example search for Apple reseller Flex policy and call them. A lot of them have never heard of that policy, but it exists and is enforced.

0 Likes