International travel with iPhone
Kronneberg

Any suggestions on mobile use while in Turkey?  Have been told Verizon offers international plans as well as GSM devices but requires one to call in.  Unfortunately they wouldn't answer the phone on my attempts prior to travel.  Two of the times I was in queue for 65 & 70 minutes when disconnected.

Now I'm in Istanbul trying to determine best way to gain access and not go broke

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: International travel with iPhone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kronneberg, that is a long time to wait on hold. We are here to assist you with any questions you might have while traveling outside the country. You can always view all of the wonderful options we have for global travels by following this link: http://spr.ly/6-1824aQ When outside the US, call us at 1-908-559-4899 or click the support tab from the international link provided and get a pdf of toll free numbers you can reach us at from a landline. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach back out to us at any time.   KevinR_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Which iPhone do you have?

4 not international capable.

4S some travel capabilities

5 and above very seamless travel. Just need to add plan on My Verizon, no need to wait on hold.

Global & International Services | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Kronneberg

Thanks Weth.  I have an iPhone 6.  When using the Verizon wireless online support it indicates that my device is not eligible for global services or internatioal roaming and states that I must call the toll free number or *611 from my device while still in the US.   Feels like I'm stuck now that I'm outside the country.   Also, no chat representatives available.

Am I missing something?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

The cheapest way to get service is to purchase a local SIM card and replace the one in your phone with the local one.

Verizon's international rates are much higher than what you will get locally.

Did you go to the link which Weth provided? When you get to that link, click on planning a trip and go thru the steps. You should not be told your phone is not eligible for global services or international roaming unless you have those services blocked in your MyVerizon account for that line of service. You can log into your MyVerizon in order to check. There is also a number provided which enables you to call Verizon from international locations in order to speak with CS at the link provided by Weth under support. So to answer your question, it does appear you are missing something. Quite a few things.

Untitled-1.jpg

Kronneberg

Appreciate your thoughtful answer and providing me hope that I was indeed missing quite a few things.  However, after finally reaching a Verizon representative, they confirmed that I was not missing anything.

Your diagram above is helpful had I not already clicked on the circled links and reached an endpoint of "you must call Verizon whilel in the US" message.

As it turns out, once out of the country, I still must call Verizon to make changes to my service to allow for global roaming.   Unfortunately the cost of the call is for me to cover.   There is not, whether in the US or abroad an option for me to activate global roaming via web, mobile, myVerizon, or chat.

Wish you had been right on this one @rcschnoor, however, in this case, you were missing a few things.   I will be following the thoughts you had on replacing the sim card.

Best

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You can always do a Skype call on wifi for 2.3 cents per minute or Google voice call while on wifi for the big price of $0.00 per minute call from Turkey to USA. There are apps for these on your iphone you can download.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Thought Verizon iPhone 6 are unlocked for global GSM use?  If that is the case, all you have to do is switch the SIM card with a purchased local SIM card.   No further hoops need be jumped through.

greengrass95
Contributor - Level 2

Mama23dogs is right on the money. The iphone 6 and 6+ cover almost every cellular band there is. All you have to do, is buy a local sim card and it should work. I phone is know for international ability more than any other phone. Why do you think Apple makes so much money?

mama23dogs
Legend

Yep!   I have 3 phones on my gadget wish list:  iphone6/6+, Google Nexus 6, One plus one.  All three phones have all bands for foreign and domestic carriers.

greengrass95
Contributor - Level 2

There you go. Great phones to have.

0 Likes