I'm a senior trying to get WiF in my home. I don't have cable or Fios thru Verizon
KT10

I'm a senior trying to get WiFi in my apt.

i don't have cable.  My landline is with Verzion and Direct TV attached.  Direct TV in my area doesn't have Internet availability.  Fios is also not available to me.

So. If I purchase a Modem or Router at a store

Can I get WiFi then.  What would I need to buy then ?

What can I do to get WiFi? Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I'm a senior trying to get WiF in my home. I don't have cable or Fios thru Verizon
rcschnoor
Legend

Can you get cable service to your home? You need to have some sort of broadband service which would provide the internet connection for your wifi. Simply having a wifi router without some sort of internet source is useless.

If you can get cable service to your home, you could get internet via that method. You don't have to have cable TV, you can simply use the service for broadband internet. If you prefer DirecTV, you can still use that and only use your cable TV provider for internet.

0 Likes
Re: I'm a senior trying to get WiF in my home.  I don't have cable or Fios thru Verizon
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Verizon for your landline phone service, could you get Verizon DSL Internet service? It might not be the fastest, but if you aren't streaming shows all the time it might be sufficient for your needs. You can then get a router to create a wifi hotspot for your personal use and connect it to the DSL modem.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: I'm a senior trying to get WiF in my home. I don't have cable or Fios thru Verizon
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

I have Verizon landline phone/internet combined service. Verizon loans a free basic router with that service which allows both wired and WIFI connections to the internet. Verizon also loans filters which must be plugged into any other Verizon phone jacks that are in use.  No other equipment needed although I think it is possible to configure the Verizon router as a pass-through to a more featured router if desired. This internet service is through Verizon land line, not Verizon wireless. Contact phone number should be on your phone bill.

0 Likes