How much data should I get?
mws_1984
Contributor - Level 1

Completely new to the whole smartphone stuff so not sure how much data I would use. And with Verizon they obviously don't roll it over so I don't want to get too much and be paying for stuff I never used. Would getting 2GB to start be reasonable? I have no idea what my usage will be yet.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How much data should I get?
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It really depends on what your going to be doing with that phone. The avg. person uses a bit under 1 GB per month  while a gamer may use more then 5 to 10 GB per month. If your into videos your level will be a higher number. Try using the VZW Data Calculator.   link:  Data Calculator 

View solution in original post

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It really depends on what your going to be doing with that phone. The avg. person uses a bit under 1 GB per month  while a gamer may use more then 5 to 10 GB per month. If your into videos your level will be a higher number. Try using the VZW Data Calculator.   link:  Data Calculator 

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have access to wifi?  That will be a major determining factor.

2GB is a good place to start - monitor your usage using the data meter on the phone, or an app like Onavo Count.  Set updates to happen over wifi only; set emails to download attachments over wifi only, set photo backups to happen over wifi only, etc and use the data plan when wifi is not available and only for things you absolutely must.  (I don't need to back up photos immediately, for instance.  If I take photos out and about, they don't backup to Google+ until I am home and connected to wifi).

My daughter (an iPhone5C) and I (Android) share 2 GB a month, and usually use just over 1 GB.  Occaisionally we will travel and use more, but 2GB for the two of us works well. Start with 2, see how your usage goes, and adjust.

Set up wifi as soon as you can, as initial app set up will use data, and can use a lot.  Just as an FYI, my wifi usage for my last billing cycle (me, alone) was almost 4GB, and just over 5GB the cycle before - wifi saves me a bunch!!

deb2too
Contributor - Level 3

While you are determining your usage patterns you can increase your data if you need to or pay over data fees for that month .  Than there's prorating changes.

mws_1984
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I have wifi at home and probably would do my best to access it wherever I can. I just hate how I'm not at all up to date on what kills data. Like a music thing like Pandora would use data up it seems after trying that Data Calculator. I know someone with Metro PCS who says that streaming music doesn't even touch their data. Paying good $ for Verizon so why do we get the bad end of things. They can't even let us roll over data lol.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
mama23dogs
Legend

Great article. 

I am amused by the opening statement of an article written in December 2013.  What a difference a year makes!

while I grant the unlimited data offers are desperate offers to lure customers away from the big carriers, they are back.

THey are also not cheap, but the trend, back to unlimited data has begun.

SInce I am paying for better service, I also pay for a data pool.

Welcome me to the 21st century mws!  I hope you enjoy your first smartphone.   (Pause while I mentally revisit my first...Samsung Galaxy S3.  Still an awesome phone)

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Seems I saw you mention getting an Iphone6.  Here's another link regarding conserving data on an iphone:

http://appletoolbox.com/2014/10/control-limit-cellular-data-use-iphone-ipad/

Might be best to start with data off and get things set up before turning data on.   I remember reading something that made me think these things are sorta like hogs at the trough when they get a sniff of data.

mama23dogs
Legend

LOL.   SUEY!

Yes the iPhone has a bad reputation for run away data usage.  Anyone with an iPhone needs to keep an eye on data and get the device repaired or replaced if data usage goes through the roof.

0 Likes